+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Match ratings v Harrogate 😬

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    Everyone seemed to be slagging off Rose except you. I read on another fred that basically you thought he was the best of a bad bunch. I enjoy the ratings fred more than any other on here.
    I thought you'd be familiar with the * thingy sid. It was often used to denote the reporter's star man when they gave them marks out of ten following their match reports in the Sunday papers.

I thought Rose and Roberts were the only players who did their job yesterday. Rose usually gets slagged off in the ratings threads but on this one he is at the upper end of everyone's scores.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    I thought you'd be familiar with the * thingy sid. It was often used to denote the reporter's star man when they gave them marks out of ten following their match reports in the Sunday papers.

I thought Rose and Roberts were the only players who did their job yesterday. Rose usually gets slagged off in the ratings threads but on this one he is at the upper end of everyone's scores.
    You’re right Elite, if it wasn’t for Roberts goal I think Rose would have been my motm yesterday, but only just and with a score of 6.5.
    Last edited by ncfcog; 03-08-2020 at 03:51 PM. Reason: Jeez, bleddy auto correct.

Agree with a lot of what’s been written above. Harrogate clearly did their homework brilliantly and ruthlessly exploited our weaknesses (pressing our two CMs on the ball, running at the full backs and repeatedly playing targeted balls over the top of Turner), while nullifying our strengths (double marking Roberts and cutting the supply to the strikers). What was really frustrating was that, despite having five subs at his disposal, the manager left the same back four on the field for 88 minutes. What must Rawlinson and DKE have been thinking?!

Ratings below are obviously based on a bad 90 minutes at the office. Generally I still think it’s been a very good season, there’s lots to build on and Ardley has done a commendable job.

Slocombe - 5.5 - Busy without having a save to make, or being at fault for any of those conceded. A little slow off his line at times but badly exposed by those in front of him.

Brindley - 5 - Has a great delivery but generally will take the easy option/sideways pass in advanced positions and was absolutely battered by their left winger defensively. A really poor game.

Lacey - 6 - Best of the back four by a mile. Crucial we re-sign him as has made a huge difference defensively.

Turner - 3 - Lack of pace was brutally exposed repeatedly by the ball over the top in our inside left channel - really basic stuff, but extremely effective - and a key reason where in my view our defence was massively improved when Lacey came into the team mid-season alongside Rawlinson as it meant we could maintain a higher line. We maintained that line yesterday but it just meant we repeatedly got caught in-behind. Not dealing with a routine delivery into the box for the 2nd goal only made things worse. Likeable guy but really struggled. Incredible he even stayed on at half-time, let alone for the 90.

Bagan - 5 - Struggled. Most at fault for the first goal in my view by not closing down the cross quicker. Another lucky to last the 90. I’d have had DKE on for him at half time.

Roberts - 7 - The one player who offered something, despite having at least two players near him whenever he got the ball. Great free kick and the near-miss at 2-1 was the sliding doors moment. His profile will have been raised by these playoff games which is concerning as it’s essential we keep hold of him. Proof what should happen when you go for youth rather than over-emphasise experience and ‘good lads’ which Ardley and many other managers before him have done, but leaves you short of legs in games like this.

Rose - 5 - Limitations on the ball exposed by two opposite numbers who never stopped harrying and running. Feel the CM area is most in-need of an upgrade if we’re to kick on next year.

Doyle - 5 - As above, but with the additional issue that he’ll be 39 when next season starts. Outstanding leader but will never have the legs to chase teams like Harrogate and, if he is to stay on next season, the insistence on him playing 90 mins every week surely has to stop.

O’Brien - 5 - Not his day. Not really a winger. Didn’t protect Bagan as much as he has previously. Would’ve probably shifted him inside at half time as offers more creativity and forward thinking than the other two, rather than hook him completely.

Dennis - 5 - Given absolutely nothing to work with.

Wootton - 6.5 - Feeding off scraps but thought he did his job. Made it stick but there rarely seemed to be anyone around him.

Thomas - 6 - Lively but unable to put away the good chance that came his way. Story of his season.

Enzio - 5.5 - Disappointing lack of impact. Wonder whether being left out in the playoff games will make him try to look elsewhere this summer.

DKE - n/a

Ardley - 4 - Totally understood the decision to name an unchanged team but lack of action thereafter cost us. Turner and one of the full backs should have come off at half time at the absolute latest for Rawlinson and DKE. Likewise Doyle and Rose were lucky to last the 90, with Crawford staying on the bench and the option to switch the legs of O’Brien inside. The decision to leave these five players on meant all our weak links remained on the pitch, and made the third goal something of an inevitability.

As mentioned above, over a full season he’s still done a very good job but was badly outthought by his opposite number, who has far less options at his disposal. Won’t have the ‘no pre-season/squad put together in a week’ lines to roll out repeatedly next year, and simply has to be more positive in approach because he’ll be well backed again and there won’t be the excuses to fall back on this time.
    Last edited by freemuzzy; 03-08-2020 at 07:44 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by freemuzzy View Post
    Agree with a lot of what’s been written above. Harrogate clearly did their homework brilliantly and ruthlessly exploited our weaknesses (pressing our two CMs on the ball, running at the full backs and repeatedly playing targeted balls over the top of Turner), while nullifying our strengths (double marking Roberts and cutting the supply to the strikers). What was really frustrating was that, despite having five subs at his disposal, the manager left the same back four on the field for 88 minutes. What must Rawlinson and DKE have been thinking?!

Ratings below are obviously based on a bad 90 minutes at the office. Generally I still think it’s been a very good season, there’s lots to build on and Ardley has done a commendable job.

Slocombe - 5.5 - Busy without having a save to make, or being at fault for any of those conceded. A little slow off his line at times but badly exposed by those in front of him.

Brindley - 5 - Has a great delivery but generally will take the easy option/sideways pass in advanced positions and was absolutely battered by their left winger defensively. A really poor game.

Lacey - 6 - Best of the back four by a mile. Crucial we re-sign him as has made a huge difference defensively.

Turner - 3 - Lack of pace was brutally exposed repeatedly by the ball over the top in our inside left channel - really basic stuff, but extremely effective - and a key reason where in my view our defence was massively improved when Lacey came into the team mid-season alongside Rawlinson as it meant we could maintain a higher line. We maintained that line yesterday but it just meant we repeatedly got caught in-behind. Not dealing with a routine delivery into the box for the 2nd goal only made things worse. Likeable guy but really struggled. Incredible he even stayed on at half-time, let alone for the 90.

Bagan - 5 - Struggled. Most at fault for the first goal in my view by not closing down the cross quicker. Another lucky to last the 90. I’d have had DKE on for him at half time.

Roberts - 7 - The one player who offered something, despite having at least two players near him whenever he got the ball. Great free kick and the near-miss at 2-1 was the sliding doors moment. His profile will have been raised by these playoff games which is concerning as it’s essential we keep hold of him. Proof what should happen when you go for youth rather than over-emphasise experience and ‘good lads’ which Ardley and many other managers before him have done, but leaves you short of legs in games like this.

Rose - 5 - Limitations on the ball exposed by two opposite numbers who never stopped harrying and running. Feel the CM area is most in-need of an upgrade if we’re to kick on next year.

Doyle - 5 - As above, but with the additional issue that he’ll be 39 when next season starts. Outstanding leader but will never have the legs to chase teams like Harrogate and, if he is to stay on next season, the insistence on him playing 90 mins every week surely has to stop.

O’Brien - 5 - Not his day. Not really a winger. Didn’t protect Bagan as much as he has previously. Would’ve probably shifted him inside at half time as offers more creativity and forward thinking than the other two, rather than hook him completely.

Dennis - 5 - Given absolutely nothing to work with.

Wootton - 6.5 - Feeding off scraps but thought he did his job. Made it stick but there rarely seemed to be anyone around him.

Thomas - 6 - Lively but unable to put away the good chance that came his way. Story of his season.

Enzio - 5.5 - Disappointing lack of impact. Wonder whether being left out in the playoff games will make him try to look elsewhere this summer.

DKE - n/a

Ardley - 4 - Totally understood the decision to name an unchanged team but lack of action thereafter cost us. Turner and one of the full backs should have come off at half time at the absolute latest for Rawlinson and DKE. Likewise Doyle and Rose were lucky to last the 90, with Crawford staying on the bench and the option to switch the legs of O’Brien inside. The decision to leave these five players on meant all our weak links remained on the pitch, and made the third goal something of an inevitability.

As mentioned above, over a full season he’s still done a very good job but was badly outthought by his opposite number, who has far less options at his disposal. Won’t have the ‘no pre-season/squad put together in a week’ lines to roll out repeatedly next year, and simply has to be more positive in approach because he’ll be well backed again and there won’t be the excuses to fall back on this time.

Simon Weaver would have been pleased to See Turner was starting and even more pleased to see that Ardley left him on for the full match. Must have been very frustrating for Rawlinson to watch this.

Quote Originally Posted by Biker9999 View Post
    I think these ratings completely miss the point. Ardley had the wrong tactics I think the players were uncertain of what they were supposed to do and the opposition completely out thought Ardley and his team both tactically and individually. We were playing a side who have only 16 players, have lost a few key ones and have next to no money compared to us. The start of the season is no excuse we have a squad capable of playing in Div 3 it may not be perfect but on paper its a lot better than Harrogate. Ardley has got us relegated and now produced utter failure in a play off game and with a little less luck and the skill of Roberts we could have been looking at a 7 - 0 score line. Only people to blame are the managemnt team which is clearly incapable of rising to the big occassion and that includes motivating and organising a team.

This

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123