+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The season after a play off failure

The season after a play off failure

Let this be a warning from history. All three previous failures have had a devastating knock-on effect.

1988/89 - 20th by the end of November and relegation only avoided after Warnock was appointed, rallied to finish 9th
    1996/97 - Relegated
    2018/19 - Relegated

Plus.....
    We were also relegated after just missing out on the play off in 1994 under Mick Walker and....
    The rot set in the season after Curle missed out on the play offs when Kiwomya was appointed.

We shouldn't expect to get relegated next season at this level but the psychological blow will be significant and will need to be addressed.

... don't you just love these miserable feather pluckers who wallow in the misery of football history ...
    Would never want to be in a lifeboat with you!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... don't you just love these miserable feather pluckers who wallow in the misery of football history ...
    Would never want to be in a lifeboat with you!
    I think our owners have enough nous to have watched the game and recognise shortcomings - no pace at back, poor central midfield and lack of width. These will be put right in next few months and when odds come out I will be betting on Notts to be champions.

I’ll be happy to bet that Notts won’t be Champions.

Further when will the season start if they won’t start without crowds?

Well, that's a plus!

I'd bet on one of the other ex-league clubs being champions next season. If this season had begun on January 1st, Chesterfield would be 7th, Hartlepool (who turned us over late February) 8th and Wrexham 9th. So that's three decent clubs for this level who will feel they are on an upwards trajectory whilst we'll be licking our wounds.
    Stockport might be a dark horse having consolidated well on their return from the abyss.

I reckon it will be play offs again. I'd take that at this stage.

And what about the coincidence's of us repeatedly getting promoted at the turn of a decade?

Some things are just coincidental, unless we completely rip up this squad they should be near the top of the National League even if the Kop drummer was managing them.

Quote Originally Posted by Freeman25 View Post
    ...unless we completely rip up this squad they should be near the top of the National League even if the Kop drummer was managing them.
    Hmmm. Worth a look?

Quote Originally Posted by jonnyt1 View Post
    I’ll be happy to bet that Notts won’t be Champions.

Further when will the season start if they won’t start without crowds?
    Who will be Champions then Jonny?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast