+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Our finances

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Here's a couple of stats that demonstrate the massive impact dropping into non-league has had on our support....

Under Hardy's reign - 32 home gates above 7k (That's thirty-two in two and half seasons! 11 were above 7k last season alone)
    Current owners - just 1 so far

Last season (relegation from L2) - 19 home gates above 6k and just 4 below 6k
    This season (non-league) - 3 home gates above 6k and 17 below 6k.

Presumably Hardy's selling point was largely based on what he had achieved in building the fan base, which cannot be denied, he did do wonders on that front. How much of a surprise to the owners is it that those numbers have - even pre-Covid- collapsed?
    Statistics can be manipulated any which way you want. Given the thread is about finances I would be interested to know how profitable it has been for Hardy to be bumping up crowds with his constant give away deals. That hasn't happened so much last season reason being its not a sustainable way to run a football club. Under Hardy the crowds may well have been better but were the finances?

Interesting thread.

I fully supported the offers, great initiative and Hardy was excellent at promotion, marketing and community involvement. Although they became a lite too often IMO

Obviously in the first season (play off season) it was a lot easier to get over 7000 attendances. The relegation season, not so easy. Not sure what the split was between the seasons

Plus away support is far bigger obviously which helps hugely.

I've been very pleasantly surprised with how good our home attendances have been this season. Maybe that's due to the novelty factor, or actually winning home games either way it's been impressive.

Whether that enthusiasm retains for next season (assuming we are allowed to go) we will have to wait and see.

Quote Originally Posted by nw6pie View Post
    Sorry, Sid, just saw this. Supply and demand just doesn’t apply to these people:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/28/p...res/index.html
    Apple, who are making squillions, have the temerity to try and negotiate reductions on the rent of their shops, sorry strike that out, advertising centres which are mainly in prestigious positions. The rich don't get rich by being generous.

However Amazon, Apple, Zoom, Microsoft and headset manufacturers, plus pharmaceuticals are all services that people want at this time. Even Ocado have now gone 100% online I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Here's a couple of stats that demonstrate the massive impact dropping into non-league has had on our support....

Under Hardy's reign - 32 home gates above 7k (That's thirty-two in two and half seasons! 11 were above 7k last season alone)
    Current owners - just 1 so far

Last season (relegation from L2) - 19 home gates above 6k and just 4 below 6k
    This season (non-league) - 3 home gates above 6k and 17 below 6k.

Presumably Hardy's selling point was largely based on what he had achieved in building the fan base, which cannot be denied, he did do wonders on that front. How much of a surprise to the owners is it that those numbers have - even pre-Covid- collapsed?
    Genuine question, I’ve not done the maths... how much are those numbers impacted by a) the much higher away followings in League Two and b) the regular promotions that AH put on.

Would be interested to know what the difference in gate was for your bog standard league game in November with a 250 away following at full price. I imagine it’s probably not that much.

Quote Originally Posted by jacobncfc View Post
    Genuine question, I’ve not done the maths... how much are those numbers impacted by a) the much higher away followings in League Two and b) the regular promotions that AH put on.

Would be interested to know what the difference in gate was for your bog standard league game in November with a 250 away following at full price. I imagine it’s probably not that much.
    Also, how many were boosted by free tickets he handed out? Don't get me wrong, I think it was a decent initiative but it boosted the numbers without necessarily boosting income

In Hardy's relegation season we only had ONE Saturday gate dip below 6k, which is quite incredible given our attendances in tier 3 under Trew and Scardino.

I think the FL have restrictions on how many fitures you could make special offer games of the type where we would pull in 10k plus (up to three per season?), but even if people are coming in for reduced prices or free, they might be encouraged to return or spend some money in the shop. Children coming in free might be accompanied by paying adults.

Away fans are still bums on seats and money into the club, so it makes no difference who they have come to support.

Overall home averages gates for Hardy and Trew make for interesting reading.
    League games only.....

Hardy -
    Pld 56
    Average 7,640...... 43 out of Hardy's 56 games were ABOVE 6,000

Trew
    Pld 161
    Average 5,812

So almost every game under Hardy had a higher gate than Trew's average, despite Trew having 5 seasons at a higher level.

I was thinking the same. In L2 we had games against local teams like Lincoln and Mansfield that added another 4k to the gates. Most other clubs brought a few hundred. And for those games where Hardy put on a deal, the ground was half full of non-Notts fans (loads of people from my work who normally 'support' Prem teams went to the Crewe game).

In the NL, some teams literally bring a minibus of fans, and the deals we've put on haven't been giveaways. The fact we managed well over 5k average despite all that is pretty impressive.

Anyway, back to the original question - as someone else said, the fact we've offered players like Lacey a new deal suggests we're doing OK financially.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    I was thinking the same. In L2 we had games against local teams like Lincoln and Mansfield that added another 4k to the gates. Most other clubs brought a few hundred. And for those games where Hardy put on a deal, the ground was half full of non-Notts fans (loads of people from my work who normally 'support' Prem teams went to the Crewe game).

In the NL, some teams literally bring a minibus of fans, and the deals we've put on haven't been giveaways. The fact we managed well over 5k average despite all that is pretty impressive.

Anyway, back to the original question - as someone else said, the fact we've offered players like Lacey a new deal suggests we're doing OK financially.
    Apparently most clubs are offering players reduced deals.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...Fk14o309iEBvCw

LeighCurtis_NP

23 HRS AGO
    Talks are taking place today as I understand it. I would think the club will look to retain as many as possible but those out of contract may find their deals aren't as good as they were last season as lots of clubs are offering reduced pay given the current climate. We have to remember we aren't in normal times. I would hope Alex Lacey stays, but he may have offers.
    Last edited by countygump; 05-08-2020 at 11:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Apparently most clubs are offering players reduced deals.

https://www.nottinghampost.com/sport...Fk14o309iEBvCw

LeighCurtis_NP

M
    23 HRS AGO
    Talks are taking place today as I understand it. I would think the club will look to retain as many as possible but those out of contract may find their deals aren't as good as they were last season as lots of clubs are offering reduced pay given the current climate. We have to remember we aren't in normal times. I would hope Alex Lacey stays, but he may have offers.
    We've released 17 players and offered a handful new deals. I suspect we'd have enough in the budget to other those similar deals maybe

Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast