+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Our finances

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I disagree, NW6. Why should the Super Rich be unaffected? If unearned income is their main lifeline, even that will take a tumble. The basics of demand and supply will always apply and right now demand for most non-basic goods is nose-diving like a stricken aeroplane.
    Hi Sidders, actually demand isn't nosediving, my business (which is B2 is thriving even during Covid, and I know many others are too. I'm not oblivious to the huge challenges many businesses and the economy as a whole face - just saying it isn't universally negative, despite what the press may say.

With regards to Notts, I agree that no-one has a bottomless pit of money, but so far it looks as though we are on a firm footing with our owners. I'd love to see us kick on from here and build a title winning team. I think we have the basis of it, and unlike many on here, I think we have the right manager.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    The amount of money they have invested in Notts against the income from Football Radar means they must have other sources of funding. Saying that, they do invest in Danish markets which you can't always see as easily as say Companies House. Also feed into the fact Trew was apparently in discussions with a Danish Billionaire before selling to Hardy... It's a very weak link which is mainly circumstantial at best and more hearsay and guessing to be honest
    Yeah, that's about all we have. Like you said, they wouldn't be able to fund Notts through their company alone. Football Radar is more a resource than a source of income for the club. Also, the fact that they've come out and said that they're here for the long term and will be able to back the club despite the crisis shows they must have some reliable and decent backing. You wouldn't say that unless you were absolutely sure (unless you were Hardy).

If it's true that we have a higher percentage of older supporters than most then we are going to see a fall in gates if they're put off returning to the lane by covid. The novelty of the NL will have also worn off, so unless we hit the ground running average gates will most likely dip towards 4,750. Average this season was 5,210 . Traditionally owners usually start panicking when they dip below 4,500 (that's where we were at when Trew sold up and also the Trust handed over control to Munto).

Current owners took over when the average had been 7,357 under Hardy. Most fans could have told them we'd probably lose 2k after relegation but whether or not they anticipated such a drop is a question for them to answer.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    If it's true that we have a higher percentage of older supporters than most then we are going to see a fall in gates if they're put off returning to the lane by covid. The novelty of the NL will have also worn off, so unless we hit the ground running average gates will most likely dip towards 4,750. Average this season was 5,210 . Traditionally owners usually start panicking when they dip below 4,500 (that's where we were at when Trew sold up and also the Trust handed over control to Munto).

Current owners took over when the average had been 7,357 under Hardy. Most fans could have told them we'd probably lose 2k after relegation but whether or not they anticipated such a drop is a question for them to answer.
    That's very true. My dad's a season ticket holder in his 70s. While Covid is around, I doubt he'd return to the Lane even if fans were allowed back in. There will be loads in a similar position. I think the stereotype is true - we have an older fanbase than most clubs. Definitely compared with Forest. I'd be amazed if we managed to average above 4000 next season (assuming fans are allowed to attend) - unless, as you say, we mount a promotion challenge from the start.

Quote Originally Posted by slack_pie View Post
    That's very true. My dad's a season ticket holder in his 70s. While Covid is around, I doubt he'd return to the Lane even if fans were allowed back in. There will be loads in a similar position. I think the stereotype is true - we have an older fanbase than most clubs. Definitely compared with Forest. I'd be amazed if we managed to average above 4000 next season (assuming fans are allowed to attend) - unless, as you say, we mount a promotion challenge from the start.
    Under 4,000 would be uncharted territory. Lowest ever was 4,246 in 1996/97 - one of only 4 seasons to dip below 4.5k (Pre-war we only twice dipped below 10k, so we were always well supported until the 1960s).

We got quite a lot of publicity for reaching Wembley again, so that might have sparked some renewed interest but such was the diabolical and franly embarrassing performance, all that good work has been undone in 90 minutes.

Under 4,000 would be uncharted territory. Lowest ever was 4,246 in 1996/97 - one of only 4 seasons to dip below 4.5k (Pre-war we only twice dipped below 10k, so we were always well supported until the 1960s).

We got quite a lot of publicity for reaching Wembley again, so that might have sparked some renewed interest but such was the diabolical and franly embarrassing performance, all that good work has been undone in 90 minutes.
    Thing is, we are in uncharted territory. Second season in the NL and a global pandemic that is particularly dangerous for seniors. It's not a great combination really. Even without the virus, a poor start to the season like last time and we could easily see sub-4k home gates on a Saturday.

We won't be the only club to suffer this way. And even if we do shed 20% off our average attendance due to the situation, we'll still probably be the best-supported club in the NL. Plenty of L2 clubs and even a few L1 clubs don't manage 4500 at home, and they seem to get by.

Here's a couple of stats that demonstrate the massive impact dropping into non-league has had on our support....

Under Hardy's reign - 32 home gates above 7k (That's thirty-two in two and half seasons! 11 were above 7k last season alone)
    Current owners - just 1 so far

Last season (relegation from L2) - 19 home gates above 6k and just 4 below 6k
    This season (non-league) - 3 home gates above 6k and 17 below 6k.

Presumably Hardy's selling point was largely based on what he had achieved in building the fan base, which cannot be denied, he did do wonders on that front. How much of a surprise to the owners is it that those numbers have - even pre-Covid- collapsed?

...such was the diabolical and franly embarrassing performance, all that good work has been undone in 90 minutes.
    Fortunately our no-show performance wasn't on proper telly. Thank heavens for small mercies, as they say.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I disagree, NW6. Why should the Super Rich be unaffected? If unearned income is their main lifeline, even that will take a tumble. The basics of demand and supply will always apply and right now demand for most non-basic goods is nose-diving like a stricken aeroplane.
    Sorry, Sid, just saw this. Supply and demand just doesn’t apply to these people:

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/04/28/p...res/index.html

I'm guessing by the list of players offered new contracts that our finances are OK

Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast