+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ex-Players

Should write a book!! 🤣

Thanks for the answers, I really liked reading the awesome post from @Steve Finan

One question, when Jim Mcinally and Dave Bowman signed for Dundee Utd, the first was a left back who could play as a left midfielder and the second was a defensive midfielder, they both came from coventry, it is assumed that the left position in the attack would be occupied by Bannon and in defense for Malpas, therefore McInally would be a substitute, Bowman would occupy a central position in the midfield, but it seems that Bowman happened to occupy the right side that should be Holt's, this is when Jim Mcinally is converted to a defensive midfield , it is right?

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    One question, when Jim Mcinally and Dave Bowman signed for Dundee Utd, the first was a left back who could play as a left midfielder and the second was a defensive midfielder, they both came from coventry, it is assumed that the left position in the attack would be occupied by Bannon and in defense for Malpas, therefore McInally would be a substitute, Bowman would occupy a central position in the midfield, but it seems that Bowman happened to occupy the right side that should be Holt's, this is when Jim Mcinally is converted to a defensive midfield , it is right?
    Jim McInally played about a dozen games for Dundee around 1984/85 on loan from Celtic as an attacking midfielder scored a couple of goals for us

Quote Originally Posted by J.M. View Post
    Wasn't Jim Mcinally a RIGHT back? Pretty sure he was, bearing in mind we had Maurice Malpas playing for us back then...

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    Wasn't Jim Mcinally a RIGHT back? Pretty sure he was, bearing in mind we had Maurice Malpas playing for us back then...
    aye and bowman played right back for coventry a few times as well

Quote Originally Posted by Shedboy1971 View Post
    aye and bowman played right back for coventry a few times as well
    Just to add, McInally mostly played in midfield for us though I think.

Jim McInally was, I’d thought, a full-back early in his career. He certainly was listed as such when with Celtic and I’d assumed he played that role when on loan to Dundee, but I think Peter will know better than me. I think Dundee tried to sign him from Celtic (again Peter might know).
    When Bow and Jim McInally came to Tannadice though, they were both used as box-to-box midfielders. This was the era, you’ll recall, when hard-running midfielders who could attack, defend, tackle, score, do everything (modelled on Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Lothar Matthaus) were what every team wanted. Whatever they were, or thought they were when they were at any other club, both of these players came to play midfield dynamo roles for United.
    McInally especially had the famous “good engine” and could run for ever. Again though, as in last post, it would be wrong to label United players of this era as just one thing. One of the aspects of Jim McLean’s genius was to mould his players into what he wanted from the team, rather than form a team around what his players could do, or thought they could do. Bow did, as Shedboy1971 says, play right-back on occasion. But depending on what was asked for, he could slot into any midfield position.
    I have always thought that if McLean had been Andy Robertson’s manager, he’d have turned him into a midfielder. He liked players who put in hard shifts, attacked with pace and followed team orders to the letter.
    The two most famous teams in United’s history, 1983 and 1987, had a lot of the same personnel, but there are a few crucial differences. The 1987 side were tactically more aware, they were designed for Europe, or at least could slide more easily into a European style. The 1983 side were all younger and had a little less tactical savvy, although (I thought, others may disagree) attacked better and had more goals in them from all over the pitch.
    Can I ask, JM, do you have a project here? Are you writing something? Creating something? I’m always interested in chatting about United “projects”. If you are approaching the question of United players by position, then you might want to talk about the flexible approach to standard positions that Jim McLean had.
    And there is excellent info in the ArabArchive. Fantastic website the lads have there.
    I might also suggest that if you are examining former United players, then Graeme Payne is worth looking at. Again just my opinion, but I thought he was the most naturally talented of the early McLean years players. But you’ll find that some United supporters recall him as a winger, while others will say midfielder. Nailing down a Dundee United 1971 to 1993 player by position isn’t easy!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    Jim McInally was, I’d thought, a full-back early in his career. He certainly was listed as such when with Celtic and I’d assumed he played that role when on loan to Dundee, but I think Peter will know better than me. I think Dundee tried to sign him from Celtic (again Peter might know).
    When Bow and Jim McInally came to Tannadice though, they were both used as box-to-box midfielders. This was the era, you’ll recall, when hard-running midfielders who could attack, defend, tackle, score, do everything (modelled on Bryan Robson, Roy Keane and Lothar Matthaus) were what every team wanted. Whatever they were, or thought they were when they were at any other club, both of these players came to play midfield dynamo roles for United.
    McInally especially had the famous “good engine” and could run for ever. Again though, as in last post, it would be wrong to label United players of this era as just one thing. One of the aspects of Jim McLean’s genius was to mould his players into what he wanted from the team, rather than form a team around what his players could do, or thought they could do. Bow did, as Shedboy1971 says, play right-back on occasion. But depending on what was asked for, he could slot into any midfield position.
    I have always thought that if McLean had been Andy Robertson’s manager, he’d have turned him into a midfielder. He liked players who put in hard shifts, attacked with pace and followed team orders to the letter.
    The two most famous teams in United’s history, 1983 and 1987, had a lot of the same personnel, but there are a few crucial differences. The 1987 side were tactically more aware, they were designed for Europe, or at least could slide more easily into a European style. The 1983 side were all younger and had a little less tactical savvy, although (I thought, others may disagree) attacked better and had more goals in them from all over the pitch.
    Can I ask, JM, do you have a project here? Are you writing something? Creating something? I’m always interested in chatting about United “projects”. If you are approaching the question of United players by position, then you might want to talk about the flexible approach to standard positions that Jim McLean had.
    And there is excellent info in the ArabArchive. Fantastic website the lads have there.
    I might also suggest that if you are examining former United players, then Graeme Payne is worth looking at. Again just my opinion, but I thought he was the most naturally talented of the early McLean years players. But you’ll find that some United supporters recall him as a winger, while others will say midfielder. Nailing down a Dundee United 1971 to 1993 player by position isn’t easy!
    Yeah he was actually a left back with Celtic when he came to Dens on loan...but at that time we had Tosh McKinley playing there and Jim played in midfield...Dundee did try to sign him but Brian Clough took him to Nottingham Forest

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Finan View Post
    I'm doing a data compilation of the second half of the 80s, mainly try to find the lineups of those seasons, and then get information about the players, especially their positions and in general see their possible starting lineup, If could get a description of his playing style later, that would be very fine.
    This search want to make is from European football in general, I am not Scottish, nor from the United Kingdom, but do remember the names of many players from the islands, whether they are Scottish, Irish or English, When started with the Scottish league, how not to remember Leighton, Gough, Malpas, Mcleish, Aitken, McStay, MacLeod, Johnston, McCoist Etc...but of course, I remember their names and in some cases their position, but not much else, but seeing teams, lineups, players, searching information and visiting forums, I'm more interested, and more interesting stories i can see.
    Now with all this information, I'm starting to think about what to do, maybe a website, although at the moment it is rather out of curiosity and weakness for the first memories of football that I have.
    It could be considered as investigating some point of history in particular, say for example the Second World War but in football.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)