+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: You Have To Feel For Brentford

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    No .
    Im glad to hear it.
    Do you want to answer the things I was asking about our former striker sales though, as it was and is about our club and players ?.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Im glad to hear it.
    Do you want to answer the things I was asking about our former striker sales though, as it was and is about our club and players ?.
    I don't actually understand where you get that Ashley Ward left the club cheaply .

£4.5m in 1998 was a significant fee back then .

The Aylott thing was decided by a tribunal so we had little say over that fee .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    I don't actually understand where you get that Ashley Ward left the club cheaply .

£4.5m in 1998 was a significant fee back then .

The Aylott thing was decided by a tribunal so we had little say over that fee .
    I know it was Animal, regarding the Aylott 'fee'. As I said it was a tribunally-sold deal for Trev, but it was appallingly low for the big number 9 who was so important to us at that time!.
    As for Ash, yes of course 4.5 mill was a fortune, an absolute dream come true for us back in 1998. But it still could have been more!. I dont like or agree with the disgusting fees that players go for, but we've got to keep up with the Jones's and do the same havent we ?.

I know it was Animal, regarding the Aylott 'fee'. As I said it was a tribunally-sold deal for Trev, but it was appallingly low for the big number 9 who was so important to us at that time!.
    As for Ash, yes of course 4.5 mill was a fortune, an absolute dream come true for us back in 1998. But it still could have been more!. I dont like or agree with the disgusting fees that players go for, but we've got to keep up with the Jones's and do the same havent we ?.
    When debating anything like this you have to place it within the context at the time .

Around that time Shearer maybe 18 months earlier went from Blackburn to Newcastle for £15m .

The best striker in the PL possibly at that time , we managed to get just short of a third for Ward that Newcastle paid for Shearer .

Put that in today's terms where the top striker in the PL would be .... Mane .... Salah .... Sterling ... Harry Kane ? .

Your talking in excess of £100m to even have a conversation about removing them from Liverpool , Manchester City or Spurs .

For the sake of argument let's say all four are available for £130m .

Would we ever have someone on our books who could get within a third of that kind of fee ? , your talking over £40m .

Which is why in my opinion we got maximum market value for Ward in 1998 and possibly a tad more .

Thats just theory and examples and possibilities though Animal.
    But yes I do admit your right about it being good money for us at the time in 1998 (I just wish it could have been more).
    John Hendrie really messed up there, and as soon as Ash himself said he missed the Prem and wanted to play there again, we'd had it as far as keeping him!.

Speaking of which, remember when we got 1.5 Mill for Carl Tiler in 1991, and we thought we were absolutely rich at the time ?.

Ok I'll let you off on that one SB lol.

Pass suggested that Brentford gave us good money for Pinnock. But my idea is that we never get what the players are worth, especially when you look at the modern day over inflated transfer market.
    McAntony at Peterbrough is a moron, but hes got a sound head when it comes to finances and selling his Peterbrough players for a ridiculous profit. It always bugs me that we seem to accept offers way too easily because they 'sound' good.

It was good money for Pinnock considering he only had 12 months to run on his contract and refused to sign an extension.

Personally I think he's a Premiership quality defender and is probably worth around £10million at the moment. Had he stayed here then we'd have had to either match or better the salary Brentford offered. Had we done that and had he signed, then we get his true worth.

Conway said we offered him a club record breaking contract to stay here. Might be true but also could be a load o tripe. We'll just ev to tek his word forrit. However, this kind of thing is the next step up for BFC. Retain our best players, keep improving them but more importantly, and in order to maximize their market value, then it is imperative we establish ourselves as a Championship club. If we're between league1 and the Championship then we'll receive lower offers naturally.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123