+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greater Blackburn?

Greater Blackburn?

Plans are being drawn up to do away with all Lancashire's district Councils, along with Lancashire County Council, and replace them with three big unitary authorities. Each one would have their own elected mayor.

Geoff Driver and the ruling Tory group are pushing for their own version to get the go ahead, despite opposition from many councils and with zero consultation with the public.
    But they have got the Governments ear. It would mean an end to your local borough council, and Lancashire County Council, and there would be far fewer councillors per head of population.

This would save the Government £££. If we do not support the scheme then we would not qualify for the Government's "levelling up" scheme as promised before the election. It is aimed to be in place by May 2022.

Without doubt, our "local" councillors would be much more remote and be responsible for a much bigger area than they are now.

The three areas would be..

GREATER BLACKBURN - containing Blackburn, Darwen, Burnley, Rossendale, Hyndburn, Pendle

WEST LANCS - containing Preston, South Ribble, Chorley, West Lancs

GREATER BLACKPOOL - containing Blackpool, Wyre, Fylde, Lancaster, Ribble

It can been seen to be a cost cutting exercise and will make local politics a thing of the past.

Please have a word with Lancashire County Council and object if you don't like it.

https://www.lancasterguardian.co.uk/...rities-2926541

59_60 ----they did this a few years ago up here and Northumberland County Council took over everything and the various district councils were scrapped. A short time went by and it was then announced that towns like Ashington would have Parish Councils and these were established with the same number of councillors, or perhaps there were even more, and our local MP's sosn managed to get themselves elected! Mind you, our council spent £1000 on a night at a hotel in Gateshead so that they could have a meeting on how they could save money! You couldn't make it up!

None of them could organise a piss up in a brewery so who cares?

"Come to me, all you who are weary and burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.

You say it would save the government £££s 59, as though this is a bad thing, but as the government doesn't have any £££s except what it takes from us in taxation, in reality it's the general public it's saving £££s for. And as I've never met a local councillor in my life I don't think I'm going to be missing anything.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    You say it would save the government £££s 59, as though this is a bad thing, but as the government doesn't have any £££s except what it takes from us in taxation, in reality it's the general public it's saving £££s for. And as I've never met a local councillor in my life I don't think I'm going to be missing anything.
    I've met hundreds sinkov. Most of them set off with early zeal and earnestness and then fade when the battle wearies them. They soon become experts at playing politics, sowing division and doing the square root of phuck all.

When I was active in our CLP I was constantly asked to stand in a winnable (for Labour) ward, but I could not possibly participate in the infighting and backstabbing necessary to survive a term in office.

It's all linked in with UN agenda 30. Local control of populations.

What’s Great about Blackburn. ? Not much. I’ve been there twice and was not impressed on either occasion.

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    What’s Great about Blackburn. ? Not much. I’ve been there twice and was not impressed on either occasion.
    If the UK had an arsehole, Blackburn would be it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Bedlington Terrier View Post
    If the UK had an arsehole, Blackburn would be it.
    Corporation Park used to be nice, very nice, but I am going back a while. In summer people used to come from miles around to spend the day there, it was a proper family day out. Seriously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)