+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718

Thread: Europa League 20/21

For me, with McKenna gone, I really feel we have to play McCrorie at the back with Hoban. Long term I don’t want him there, but needs must in the short term.

Quote Originally Posted by Don Julio View Post
    For me, with McKenna gone, I really feel we have to play McCrorie at the back with Hoban. Long term I don’t want him there, but needs must in the short term.
    I disagree. I think we need McCrorie in the midfield alongside Ferguson. Assuming he sticks with the 343 (which I would - it has generally worked quite well and we need to stick with it as the players are still getting used to it). Play Logan as the right wing back with Hayes on the other side and go with Taylor, Hoban and Considine in defence. Stick with Wright and Hedges in behind Watkins, or throw Edmondson up there instead.

I do fear that he'll change the system and personnel though, I wouldn't be surprised if he goes with 2 giants up top and reverts to the long ball nonsense. Something like...

Lewis
    Logan McCrorie Hoban Considine Hayes
    McGeouch Ferguson
    Hedges
    Watkins Edmondson

I'd rather stick with 343, keep the McCrorie / Ferguson partnership in midfield, stick with Hedges and Wright, and go at them full pelt from the off. If we try to sit back and contain them etc we'll likely lose - similar to games against Rangers and Celtic we need to get on the front foot and put them under pressure.

Fair enough, but I have to say that no way on God's green earth would I want to go up against a decent continental team with Taylor and Considine both on the pitch.

I don't want McCrorie to play at the back in general, but for this game at least, I'd rather he replaced McKenna and that McGeouch slotted in alongside Ferguson. We need players who are composed on the ball and know how to make a pass, and who have some sense of positioning. Taylor's at his best against teams who punt high balls into the area, but while I can't pretend to know about Sporting Lisbon's style of play, that's now what I'm expecting. Two lumbering centre backs who struggle to make a pass and whose positioning is questionable looks like a recipe for disaster to me, even with Hoban telling them what to do.

Let's see what happens.

(Edit: forgot to add - I have no problems with what you're suggesting in terms of shape, but my back 3 would be McCrorie, Hoban and Considine)

Kennedy is crucial to a functioning 3-5-2 with wing backs. Is there any word on his injury?

Page 18 of 18 FirstFirst ... 8161718