+ Visit Leeds United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: promoted team 2010 vs promoted team 2020

promoted team 2010 vs promoted team 2020

just watched a podcast with kris boyd rob snodgrass jermaine beckford and phil hay, and it got me thinking about our best players from the 2010 season, and then looking at the similarities and differences between them and the 2020 season just finished.

if you look at both squads, they have both had a togetherness about them, 2 very attack minded coaches, both trying to get their teams to play the right way, different styles in that SG mostly did 442 and MB mostly 4141, but for example, look at the quality of the 5 players furthest forward for both squads, 2010 howson gradel snodgrass becchio beckford, 2020 klich hernandez costa harrison bamford, also both with quality centreback pairings too, 2010 naylor and kisnorbo, 2020 cooper and white, for me, you can tell as to why these 2 teams were in the end, the 2 most important teams leeds have had in their 16 years out of the PL, those 7 core players for both lineups, and i think, if there is any difference playerwise between those 2 lineups, it has to be that the 2020 lineup had much better (obviously divisional comparisons aside) rb in ayling, and dcm in phillips, 2010 had doyle and johnson at dcm and i think hughes and crowe at rb, not saying those 4 were poor, they werent, but phillips and ayling rather than just being part of that successful team, have actually been 2 of the best in the team, i'm not sure the same can be argued for doyle and hughes / johnson and crowe

whats your thoughts on this, i mean for me, both squads obviously hold great memories for me as theyre the only 2 squads in 16 years we can actually call successful, those 2 squads achieves what all the others couldnt or didnt, for this reason, if we named a full season squad that was the best squad we've had in 16 seasons, many of them would be made up of players from those 2 squads.

so tell me, what are your opinions on the 2 most successful squads leeds have had in the last 16 seasons?

Agree 2020 better but maybe that is down to MB getting the most out of the players. Of the 2010 team I think the front 5 you mentioned would challenge for a spot but the rest not so much.

I suspect MB would have made Gradel into a superstar.

Quote Originally Posted by CLIVETHELEEDSFAN View Post
    just watched a podcast with kris boyd rob snodgrass jermaine beckford and phil hay, and it got me thinking about our best players from the 2010 season, and then looking at the similarities and differences between them and the 2020 season just finished.

if you look at both squads, they have both had a togetherness about them, 2 very attack minded coaches, both trying to get their teams to play the right way, different styles in that SG mostly did 442 and MB mostly 4141, but for example, look at the quality of the 5 players furthest forward for both squads, 2010 howson gradel snodgrass becchio beckford, 2020 klich hernandez costa harrison bamford, also both with quality centreback pairings too, 2010 naylor and kisnorbo, 2020 cooper and white, for me, you can tell as to why these 2 teams were in the end, the 2 most important teams leeds have had in their 16 years out of the PL, those 7 core players for both lineups, and i think, if there is any difference playerwise between those 2 lineups, it has to be that the 2020 lineup had much better (obviously divisional comparisons aside) rb in ayling, and dcm in phillips, 2010 had doyle and johnson at dcm and i think hughes and crowe at rb, not saying those 4 were poor, they werent, but phillips and ayling rather than just being part of that successful team, have actually been 2 of the best in the team, i'm not sure the same can be argued for doyle and hughes / johnson and crowe

whats your thoughts on this, i mean for me, both squads obviously hold great memories for me as theyre the only 2 squads in 16 years we can actually call successful, those 2 squads achieves what all the others couldnt or didnt, for this reason, if we named a full season squad that was the best squad we've had in 16 seasons, many of them would be made up of players from those 2 squads.

so tell me, what are your opinions on the 2 most successful squads leeds have had in the last 16 seasons?
    Clive, oh man, you've forgotten the linchpin of midfield in 2010, Neil "Killer" Kilkenny.

Cherry I've deliberatly left him out, he can't lace the boots of any of the above players, brad johnson and michael doyle were better than kiklenny, andy hughes if he'd been played in his more naturasl midfield role would have been better than kilkenny,

the most ineffective diamond of midfielders we had back in those years were kilkenny, westlake, sweeney, and nicholls, god if those 4 had been our only choices for midfield we'd have gone down to lg2!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)