+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Watch One Hero From The Past?

Bomber for me, would score shed loads in this day and age.

Would have to be Cyrille In his prime for me as a transplant in our current side. Bomber as well would fit in well - goals galore and a constant threat.

More recently then Koumas was an exceptional talent - so skilful and with low centre of gravity running at people. Also Kevin Philips would be perfect for us today - the goal poacher sublime.

Too difficult to answer as there have been many great players who have worn the navy blue and white stripes.

One of my all time favourites was Bobby Hope, Bill Shankley is reputed to have said "stop Bobby Hope and you stop the Albion"

Astle, Hope, Clark, Brown, Sneekes all great players along with many more.
    But the best, the most exciting was Laurie.

Quote Originally Posted by holmleighchris View Post
    Astle, Hope, Clark, Brown, Sneekes all great players along with many more.
    But the best, the most exciting was Laurie.

Laurie Cunningham for me - he was simply magical

Quote Originally Posted by baggieal View Post
    Laurie Cunningham for me - he was simply magical
    Same here - Laurie for me.

Strange all the names mentioned, there does not seem to be anyone more recent than 30 years ago. That is quite sad to think we have not had a player that really excites us in that time. Clarke, Astle, Hope, Bomber any one of them would be a great choice. And to think all four were in the same team week after week. We were spoilt without knowing it at the time. Shankly was also reported saying about Bobby Hope just before the 1968 FA Cup Anfield replay when told by a reporter that there was a doubt about Bobby Hope being fit for the game, he said: ''I would play Bobby Hope with a broken leg if necessary.'' High regards indeed from someone who could spot a player.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Strange all the names mentioned, there does not seem to be anyone more recent than 30 years ago. That is quite sad to think we have not had a player that really excites us in that time. Clarke, Astle, Hope, Bomber any one of them would be a great choice. And to think all four were in the same team week after week. We were spoilt without knowing it at the time. Shankly was also reported saying about Bobby Hope just before the 1968 FA Cup Anfield replay when told by a reporter that there was a doubt about Bobby Hope being fit for the game, he said: ''I would play Bobby Hope with a broken leg if necessary.'' High regards indeed from someone who could spot a player.
    Good point. Be interesting to ask "If you could watch one hero from this century"

Is this all about footy eh lads ?.
    Id love to meet, and try to sparr with the great Bruce Lee.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)