+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: If You Could Watch One Hero From The Past?

Quote Originally Posted by mickd1961 View Post
    Geoff Palmer of Wolves is still having counselling.

I remember Willie beating him,letting him recover,beating him again and letting him recover again and then pulling the chest out on his shirt in the shape of a couple of t I t s before going past him again and crossing the ball 😆😆😆
    You had to love him Mick. So many tales. One of the saddest things was no clear footage of his goal v Blackpool in the cup. From his own half left 7 players in his wake and hit the roof of the net.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    You had to love him Mick. So many tales. One of the saddest things was no clear footage of his goal v Blackpool in the cup. From his own half left 7 players in his wake and hit the roof of the net.
    I was in the Brummie Rd that day Boingy as the ball hit the roof of the net.

I think Willie got a couple that day as we won 4-1 and a highly rated young Paul Hart was left oh his a r s e by Willie when he scored that great goal.

I remember seeing Willie coming out of the Hawthorns one day wearing a long black leather coat, he looked really menacing! Fantastic!

I was on a coach travelling to Filbert Street when I heard Willie Johnston had signed for the most boring Albion Don Howe team (pre Pulis) I had ever witnessed.

Memory I have is (v Bristol Rovers I think) we were winning easily and Willie had tormented a young full back. Late in the game he nut megged the poor lad got to the bye line and crossed it. Rather than look up to see where the ball went he carried on his run, stood on the wall of the Brummie and raised both hands in salute. Box office, pure box office.

Today he'd probably be booked.

Been thinking about this for a time....I have concluded...has to be big Cyril........so naturally powerful...

Chippy was the best, Laurie the most naturally gifted, but for sheer brilliant wingplay and outrageous entertaining it has to be Willie. His acceleration from a standing start is probably still the fastest i have seen.
    How many winger's today do you see walk up to a full back with his hands on his hips, knock the ball past and then gone? He had that many ways of beating a player. I once saw him down the Brummie knock the ball on the inside of a fullback run off the pitch behind the goal and come back on to collect his own pass. Many back's became totally embarrassed and tried to chop him, and it became more entertaining then.
    Most memorable moment was at Derby in the Cup when we beat them 3-2 at the old Baseball Ground. He had scored a brilliant individual goal and was playing in front of the home fan's who stood on the halfway line who were giving him stick.In response he trapped a forty yard pass with his arse right in front of them.
    The bigger the occasion, the more stick, the better he became.
    A wonderful entertainer, worth the admission price alone.We won't see his like again, football has become too dull.

Quote Originally Posted by WBA1955 View Post
    Chippy was the best, Laurie the most naturally gifted, but for sheer brilliant wingplay and outrageous entertaining it has to be Willie. His acceleration from a standing start is probably still the fastest i have seen.
    How many winger's today do you see walk up to a full back with his hands on his hips, knock the ball past and then gone? He had that many ways of beating a player. I once saw him down the Brummie knock the ball on the inside of a fullback run off the pitch behind the goal and come back on to collect his own pass. Many back's became totally embarrassed and tried to chop him, and it became more entertaining then.
    Most memorable moment was at Derby in the Cup when we beat them 3-2 at the old Baseball Ground. He had scored a brilliant individual goal and was playing in front of the home fan's who stood on the halfway line who were giving him stick.In response he trapped a forty yard pass with his arse right in front of them.
    The bigger the occasion, the more stick, the better he became.
    A wonderful entertainer, worth the admission price alone.We won't see his like again, football has become too dull.
    He had the devil in him did Willie 😎😆

Talking of crowd interaction.........was anyone at Stoke the night their fan along the sidelines threw the ball in David Speedie’s face when he went to collect it for a throw in and Speedie threw it straight back in his face and got booked😆😆

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)