+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: If You Could Watch One Hero From The Past?

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Is this all about footy eh lads ?.
    Id love to meet, and try to sparr with the great Bruce Lee.
    I'd sooner meet Brenda Lee

In football it would be Duncan Edwards in life it would be Marilyn Monroe.

It was a serious thread about Albion players and not just any players.

Willie Johnston for me by a country mile. Especially the home match v Liverpool the same week Phil neal got his England call 😂 Classic teasing performance. Made Phil Neal look like a complete schoolboy novice.

Quote Originally Posted by Joy_Division View Post
    Strange all the names mentioned, there does not seem to be anyone more recent than 30 years ago. That is quite sad to think we have not had a player that really excites us in that time. Clarke, Astle, Hope, Bomber any one of them would be a great choice. And to think all four were in the same team week after week. We were spoilt without knowing it at the time. Shankly was also reported saying about Bobby Hope just before the 1968 FA Cup Anfield replay when told by a reporter that there was a doubt about Bobby Hope being fit for the game, he said: ''I would play Bobby Hope with a broken leg if necessary.'' High regards indeed from someone who could spot a player.
    Probably more to do with the age of the posters, we all look back and believe things were better, which to be fair as we were younger they probably were, certainly worry and health issues never seemed to come in to play when the old rose tints go on..

Quote Originally Posted by DaveP67 is back! View Post
    Probably more to do with the age of the posters, we all look back and believe things were better, which to be fair as we were younger they probably were, certainly worry and health issues never seemed to come in to play when the old rose tints go on..
    Quality is quality Dave, doesn’t matter when it was. Regarding Willie Johnston, how many wingers have you seen go past the fullback and then go back to do it again? Totally embarrassed them.

Quote Originally Posted by boingy View Post
    Quality is quality Dave, doesn’t matter when it was. Regarding Willie Johnston, how many wingers have you seen go past the fullback and then go back to do it again? Totally embarrassed them.
    Geoff Palmer of Wolves is still having counselling.

I remember Willie beating him,letting him recover,beating him again and letting him recover again and then pulling the chest out on his shirt in the shape of a couple of t I t s before going past him again and crossing the ball 😆😆😆

Sorry did not read the thread properly.
    For me it would be Bobby Robson and Ronnie Allen

Quote Originally Posted by SwedishBaggie View Post
    Same here - Laurie for me.
    & for me Laurie effortless skills unplayable ,

Having already posted on this thread that there were too many Albion greats to choose from I have to go for Ronnie Allen as he was the reason why I first supported the Baggies at the tender age of seven. There are many other contenders down the years, the likes of Ray Barlow, Bobby Robson, Tony Brown, Jeff Astle, Willie Johnstone, Bryan Robson, Laurie Cunningham, Cyrille Regis. Yes, most of them are from yesteryear but times change and money now talks the loudest.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)