+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: If You Could Watch One Hero From The Past?

If You Could Watch One Hero From The Past?

You’re granted one wish by the football genie.

You can pick just one player from Albion’s history to play for 90 minutes at the peak of their powers in the present day Albion team.

90 minutes more of the player who has meant the most to you and who still sends a tingle down your spine when you see old footage.

For me there is only one and I can feel only pity for anyone too young to have seen him play live.........

Willie Johnston 😎

https://youtu.be/5-4ZBCcIB7A

Laurie Cunningham

Chippy Clark was my first memory....I was only a nipper,and couldn't really evaluate his ability or lack of it,but I got a buzz when he was on the ball

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Laurie Cunningham

84 games and 21 goals for Laurie.

A beautiful player to watch........like thick creamy chocolate being poured on a cake.

I think a lot of people forget he was only with us for two years from 77 to 79.

Effortless skill.

A shame he left us because like far too many players they don’t realise until it’s too late where their natural footballing home is.

Willie realised it.....Rangers and Albion in equal measure.

Same with Daglish.......Celtic and Liverpool.

Bob Taylor got it right and so did Bully though it peeves me to say it seeing as he and his family were Albion fans.

Odemwingie got it massively wrong.

If Laurie had stuck around I’m sure we’d have won the league in 80-81.

In hindsight his move to Spain cost him his life at just 33.

Such a talent and such a sad end.

For me, either the King or the great Bobby Hope. The latter was the classiest player that I have ever seen.

Cyrille Regis
    So powerful and strong, unstoppable. Even in the days when you almost had to assault a player to get carded he simply rode the tackles.
    Among his many assets was his ability to actually hit the target with most shots. Contrast that with the awful shots on target stats that our lot posted last season. I believe one game less than 20% were on target!

Quote Originally Posted by kettering_baggie View Post
    For me, either the King or the great Bobby Hope. The latter was the classiest player that I have ever seen.
    A couple of my regrets are that I never saw Bobby Hope and Astle was a shell when I started watching in 72 Kets.

Both would make an Albion all time 11 I would suggest?

It has to be Jeff Astle.

Bobby Hope - sublime skill. Best passer of a ball I’ve seen wearing the stripes.

Quote Originally Posted by Q165 View Post
    It has to be Jeff Astle.
    Bomber for me, remember him towards the end of his career under Big Ron, would have liked to see him in his early days, was fortunate to meet him at the Swansea away game just before lockdown, spent quite a while chatting to him and got a great pic with him, me and my lad. I do think Laurie was the stand out best player I have ever seen at the Hawthorns and have great memories of him, so sad he was taken so young...

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)