+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Salary cap

Salary cap

League 1 and 2 clubs have voted to introduce a salary cap with immediate effect - https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-salary-caps

There's been talk of one for the NL with a figure of £900k a year mentioned. Don't know if that includes young pros/scholars/loans, but Notts had 33 contracted players last season by my reckoning. That's an average of £27k per player (last year) and doesn't offer much scope in the way of paying higher wages to attract the better players.

I assume/hope the owners have factored this in.

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwacka View Post
    League 1 and 2 clubs have voted to introduce a salary cap with immediate effect - https://www.skysports.com/football/n...ng-salary-caps

There's been talk of one for the NL with a figure of £900k a year mentioned. Don't know if that includes young pros/scholars/loans, but Notts had 33 contracted players last season by my reckoning. That's an average of £27k per player (last year) and doesn't offer much scope in the way of paying higher wages to attract the better players.

I assume/hope the owners have factored this in.
    There are ways around it. Player gets a wage that fits the salary cap. To supplement their income, the player becomes a personal trainer at a gym that may be owned by the club's owner and turns up once in a while...

I'm assuming it's not that tightly written to help the larger clubs

PFA have described them as 'unlawful and unenforceable'.

Wow, that's massive news. I have no idea what most L2 clubs' salary budgets are like though. How many would be above the 1.5 million already? What are they supposed to do, just get rid of players until they are within the limits? And does this mean there's zero benefit to having a sugar daddy owner(s) willing to pump money into the club (like Salford or even Mansfield), or even to having above average gates?

I guess it's good news for the clubs struggling to stay afloat, but bad news for those wanting to spend their way up the leagues.
    Last edited by slack_pie; 07-08-2020 at 06:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Chicken Balti Pie View Post
    There are ways around it. Player gets a wage that fits the salary cap. To supplement their income, the player becomes a personal trainer at a gym that may be owned by the club's owner and turns up once in a while...

I'm assuming it's not that tightly written to help the larger clubs
    Or we offer them some North Korean mineral mining rights alongside their salary.....

A salary cap at higher levels ( I am talking Championship and above) is probably a good idea as if anything it can put a bit of a stop to some of the absolutely stupid and totally unecessary money being spent on wages, but as mentioned above its easy to get around ultimately. A salary cap even in League 2 is in my opinion totally unnecessary and at this level plain daft. Notts or Stockport probably have the biggest wage bill in this division and it is above 1.2 to 1.3 million a year I would be very surprised ( that is some 25 players on 50k each which probably isn't likely a few will be on a bit more most a lot less) . Compare that with some of the smaller teams where it wont be more than a few hundred grand at most. Nobody is going to be spending several million at this level. Pointless and the bigger clubs aren't going balistic anyway. There isn't a problem to fix.