+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Luke Murphy

Luke Murphy

As he is now training with the club, is there a possibility that a contract could be on offer, whether he would sign it is another matter., depends what his options are. I think this would be a great signing for us, not so sure about him, but at the moment he is available and is at the club, no doubt his agent is ringing around clubs on his behalf, but with the new wage cap being introduced those options could be limited, unless he wants to have another shot at the championship, not sure how likely that is.

He was a terrific player for the club 7 years ago, at 30 he is a player with bags of experience and I don't think it would be a bad move, but money could be an issue. Not sure things have actually worked out for him that well, but he did play 111 games for Leeds, which is pretty good and then had a further 2 years in championship with Burton, just unfortunate it didn't work out with Bolton. watch this space.

Don't know where he lives at the moment so assume that training at the Alex points to a possibility of him signing.
    If so, and because he is a homegrown player and therefore should know about financial limits, surely money couldn't be a huge problem.
    Unless, of course another club is interested.

Would be delighted if Murphy signed. Would hope wages are not an obstacle. The salary cap news will make players aware that clubs have to limit their spending even though the PFA opposes the proposal voted for by Leagues One and Two. Would make my day if Murphy and Rhys Bennett signed.

First off; I agree that he would be a good signing for the club. He would add depth and experience to an area we are a little light on numbers. However, if, as seems most likely, we're only going to see one central mid come in, I'm not sure he's the right signing. Murphy's a busy, box-to-box, hustle and bustle sort of midfielder, that'll get you the occasional goal (if memory serves). We've already got that with the likes of Finney, Wintle and Lowery. What I think we do need, is a play-maker. Someone who can pick a pass and unlock defences. It's something we struggled with last season, when teams realised we were actually quite good, so they sat deep and left no space for the likes of Powell, Dale and Kirky to exploit. The only player who seemed to have the ability to do that for us last term was TL. After hearing that Callum Cooke was being released, I rather hoped that we could make a bid for him. However, that's not be, with him now at Bradford City. But I think Cooke's more like the player we need. However, there are a lot worse options than Murphy, and I certainly wouldn't burst into tears if we signed him, and maybe got a young play-maker in on loan.
    Last edited by Armchair General; 08-08-2020 at 12:25 PM.