+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Time to get rid of the back pass to the goalie

Time to get rid of the back pass to the goalie

I watched City v Real earlier , and after ten minutes I was so bored , I almost switched over to watch something else.The reason ? Too many back passes to both goalkeepers , even so early in the game. It was similar to the Brentford v Fulham game earlier in the week , where safety first was the order of the day. Later in tonight’s game, City had a corner and it eventually found its way back to the goalkeeper. Crazy. Someone forgot to tell Real, that they needed to score to have any chance of going through.After almost 30 minutes, they began to realise just that. Years ago, my dad used to go potty with continuous back passing at any level. His philosophy was , that if you were any good, you’d dribble your way out of trouble. Looking back, I believe he was right to think that way. It really is killing the game as we know it, when the emphasis should be on scoring goals, surely ?Its driving me against watching football when it’s played this way, and the higher up the league you go, the worse it is. Does anyone out there feel the same as me. ?

Quote Originally Posted by malwayne View Post
    I watched City v Real earlier , and after ten minutes I was so bored , I almost switched over to watch something else.The reason ? Too many back passes to both goalkeepers , even so early in the game. It was similar to the Brentford v Fulham game earlier in the week , where safety first was the order of the day. Later in tonight’s game, City had a corner and it eventually found its way back to the goalkeeper. Crazy. Someone forgot to tell Real, that they needed to score to have any chance of going through.After almost 30 minutes, they began to realise just that. Years ago, my dad used to go potty with continuous back passing at any level. His philosophy was , that if you were any good, you’d dribble your way out of trouble. Looking back, I believe he was right to think that way. It really is killing the game as we know it, when the emphasis should be on scoring goals, surely ?Its driving me against watching football when it’s played this way, and the higher up the league you go, the worse it is. Does anyone out there feel the same as me. ?
    You had better get used to it because this is the way modern football has progressed. It was only a few years ago that those running the game in England decided that the national team needed to change their way of playing and should be able to retain possession like teams on the continent and this is what has been happening.
    It is a gradual process, however, look at the way that the media criticise the Clarets because of the way that we play, in fact, lots of our own fans criticise our methods, in spite of our achievements.

It is all part of the plan that you have over 1000 passes. even though you have got nowhere with them, 70% possession, in spite of the fact that 60% of that was within your own third of the field etc., etc. When City scored their first goal, Real Madrid had had 65% possession but on one occasion they strung 33 passes together and had not got out of their own half!

The modern game is descending into something which is really not worth watching on many occasions, however, it is what the modern fan wants, so who are we oldies to criticise?

Henderson and his ilk can pass the ball 5 yards 150 times in a game and his team go nowhere, but the media go wild about ball retention. Real Madrid tried it last night and a blue swarm just overran them.

Pity Whoosh isn't still here to show them how it's done!

Real Madrid should have been aware that City would employ a high press and stop them trying to play it out from the back. The opening goal scored by Sterling was littered with errors by Courtois and his defenders. Dyche would have been livid if that was Pope and Tarkowski but they would never have made such a catalogue of errors.

Quote Originally Posted by outwoodclaret View Post
    Real Madrid should have been aware that City would employ a high press and stop them trying to play it out from the back. The opening goal scored by Sterling was littered with errors by Courtois and his defenders. Dyche would have been livid if that was Pope and Tarkowski but they would never have made such a catalogue of errors.
    Exactly outwood! That's why we don't fart about passing the ball around in our own defensive third. WHOOSH!

BT what was that an F-35 Adir??? WHOOSH! Phook me, are they looking for Pally's?? Or it's those Russians again?? Or maybe they just want to watch football?

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)