+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A smart move by the Vanarama

A smart move by the Vanarama

I know it's de rigeur on Notts MAD to slag off the management of the National League as out of date old f a r t s but I think the decision to hold back the new season until early October will prove to be a wise move.
    For one thing, it gives clubs a proper chance to regroup and assess their financial circumstances. For another, it allows for lessons to be learned from the EFL who, by then, will be several weeks in front.
    Then there is the possibility of a second wave of Covid-19. It will be devastating if a new season is interrupted by a further lockdown in such a short time. By October, we should have a clearer view of the landscape.
    Probably most important of all is that October 3rd enables players and staff to have a close season comprising two months.

Also gives us time to sort our squad out, who wants to leave and get players in to replace those wanting to jump ship

As well as hopefully being able to have fans at games which is much more important to clubs in the lower leagues than to those in the top flight.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    I know it's de rigeur on Notts MAD to slag off the management of the National League as out of date old f a r t s but I think the decision to hold back the new season until early October will prove to be a wise move.
    For one thing, it gives clubs a proper chance to regroup and assess their financial circumstances. For another, it allows for lessons to be learned from the EFL who, by then, will be several weeks in front.
    Then there is the possibility of a second wave of Covid-19. It will be devastating if a new season is interrupted by a further lockdown in such a short time. By October, we should have a clearer view of the landscape.
    Probably most important of all is that October 3rd enables players and staff to have a close season comprising two months.
    The late start makes me wonder when the finish will be, because we had already played 14 league games (over 30% of the season) by the end of September last year. It looks certain to be a very congested fixture list, which should be in our favour as we will have a depth of squad better equipped to cope with it than most at this level.

Quote Originally Posted by Elite_Pie View Post
    The late start makes me wonder when the finish will be, because we had already played 14 league games (over 30% of the season) by the end of September last year. It looks certain to be a very congested fixture list, which should be in our favour as we will have a depth of squad better equipped to cope with it than most at this level.
    The provisional dates for 2020-21 are Oct 3 - May 29, with play-offs in June.

The great unknowns are the second COVID wave and potential arrival of a vaccine. If proper protocols are followed, there's no way a vaccine will be ready this year (though the Russians and Chinese may ignore those protocols and rush-release their vaccines - which sounds like the plot for a zombie movie).

If we do have to go into lockdown again in winter, and it's like the previous one (or worse), we won't even get half of the season played, which would presumably render everything null and void. Or maybe the cheeto-in-chief is right and the virus will miraculously just disappear one day - otherwise, a lot of football clubs will.

Ultimately nobody knows if its a smart or move or not as nobody has not one clue whats going to happen with the virus.

The lower down the pyramid you go, the more games are postponed due to bad weather. Barnet were struggling to get a home game on for weeks and look at the Fylde fiasco. A bad winter this year will be devastating. They should skip all cup competitions this season.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    The lower down the pyramid you go, the more games are postponed due to bad weather. Barnet were struggling to get a home game on for weeks and look at the Fylde fiasco. A bad winter this year will be devastating. They should skip all cup competitions this season.
    Or just finish last seasons cup competition 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    Or just finish last seasons cup competition 😁
    Let's not bother.

Another good thrashing by the now, L2 club, Harrogate will do my mood no good at all.

Quote Originally Posted by countygump View Post
    Let's not bother.

Another good thrashing by the now, L2 club, Harrogate will do my mood no good at all.
    They should be forced to forfeit the game, after all it is a non-league cup 🤔

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast