+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 10 of 20 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Notts County Squad 2020-21

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Just to clarify, Ardley didn't take charge of his first league game until the 2-0 away defeat at Mansfield on the 8th December, the three matches previous to this were under the stewardship of caretaker Steve Chettle. The gap prior to that game was actually only 3 points, as I have mentioned already on a couple of threads Chettle managed 2 points from 9 in that little spell. In the same period Macclesfield secured 6 points from 9 and were suddenly into a bit of form, Notts on the other hand were probably in the worst vein of form since Nolan was sacked.
    in other player related news:

Player of the season Vote?

https://www.nottscountyfc.co.uk/news...n-vote-140820/

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    My judgement was clouded because some of those problems remain from the relegation season, to may draws against poor sides at home, and crumbling against teams that come at us. In order to gain promotion Ardley must finally sort these problems out
    High press teams you mean? Unless of course we get lucky which is the only reason we have beaten the top teams.

I get the feeling you want to put the blame on Ardley for everything.

It's a very one sided view, but at least Davy is honest about it.

Agree that Ardley's defensive, conservative but solid approach meant we dropped points we shouldn't against sides in mid-table and below which really shouldn't have been both home and away.

However this approach made our record against the top 7 last season very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    It's a very one sided view, but at least Davy is honest about it.

Agree that Ardley's defensive, conservative but solid approach meant we dropped points we shouldn't against sides in mid-table and below which really shouldn't have been both home and away.

However this approach made our record against the top 7 last season very impressive.
    yes thats true we did do well against teams in the top 7 , but the same problems from the relegation season remained in drawing to many games at home to poor sides g sutton, maidenhead, dover ,woking, wrexham , thats 10 points lost there

If the promotion is the aim, notts will have to win more games at home , as a lot of teams will come and park the bus, it will be down to notts to break them down

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    High press teams you mean? Unless of course we get lucky which is the only reason we have beaten the top teams.

I get the feeling you want to put the blame on Ardley for everything.
    I get the feeling you give credit to Ardley for anything

I asked you a question, which you have not answered?

The wins against Barrow and Harragate had nothing to do with Ardleys selection or team tactics. You can not deny the circumstances that lead to Notts winning the games was fortunate They missed a bag full of chances, and a penelty, and then had a man sent off. Only then did notts take control of the game , not because of Ardley

yes thats true we did do well against teams in the top 7 , but the same problems from the relegation season remained in drawing to many games at home to poor sides g sutton, maidenhead, dover ,woking, wrexham , thats 10 points lost there

If the promotion is the aim, notts will have to win more games at home , as a lot of teams will come and park the bus, it will be down to notts to break them down
    Well that's obvious. If we want to do better than 3rd we've got to win more games. Our record against the top sides was very impressive, won't be easy but need to match that, not much room for improvement.

So that's leaves the rest, and that's where we clearly need to improve overall.

BTW we beat Maidenhead handsomely 3-0 at home. It was the drab and slightly fortunate 0-0 draw away from home that was costly.

Quote Originally Posted by laddo View Post
    Well that's obvious. If we want to do better than 3rd we've got to win more games. Our record against the top sides was very impressive, won't be easy but need to match that, not much room for improvement.

So that's leaves the rest, and that's where we clearly need to improve overall.

BTW we beat Maidenhead handsomely 3-0 at home. It was the drab and slightly fortunate 0-0 draw away from home that was costly.
    Yes, Fingers crossed for this season Lado
    I remember early on, in the draw against wrexham, that Ardley was angry that wrexham had got a point, because they had only one attack on the Notts goal in the whole game, and scored
    Then the draw at home against Dover, and the Dover manager Andy Hessennthaler acting like they had won the Cup, after the match

Think lomg term stability now with the owners, looks promising,the past is the past , right or wrong-Ardley is here, so lets get behind Ardley now , for the whole season , and see what he can do . A good start will help him tremendously
    I think because the National league starts in October , there will be a lot of fixtures in a smaller space of time, maybe 2 a week saturday and tuesday

Yes, Fingers crossed for this season Lado
    I remember early on, in the draw against wrexham, that Ardley was angry that wrexham had got a point, because they had only one attack on the Notts goal in the whole game, and scored
    Then the draw at home against Dover, and the Dover manager Andy Hessennthaler acting like they had won the Cup, after the match

Think lomg term stability now with the owners, looks promising,the past is the past , right or wrong-Ardley is here, so lets get behind Ardley now , for the whole season , and see what he can do . A good start will help him tremendously
    I think because the National league starts in October , there will be a lot of fixtures in a smaller space of time, maybe 2 a week saturday and tuesday
    To be fair Wrexham had 5 shots at goal, although the only one that was on target found the back of the net. Notts by contrast had 14 attempts at goal that game, 7 on target so maybe he should have been moaning about the Notts strikers leaving their scoring boots at home!

Something that strikes me when I look at the current squad is that there are not really any players I would regard as 'dead wood', compared with several Notts squads in recent years where a third or more of the players were often:

a) players that were manifestly not good enough

b) players who might be good enough but the manager avoided like the plague

c) the infamous "ones for the future" who never were

I don't see any player in the current squad that the manager hasn't utilised at some point, or who haven't shown enough to suggest they could do a good job when called upon. The quality of signings since Football Radar got involved has gone up dramatically, with players like Lacey, Rawlinson, Wootton and Roberts (for example) all looking like genuine and significant upgrades on what we had before. And even "fringe" players like Sam Osborne look like genuine emerging talents rather than squad fillers. This has to be a cause for optimism.

If I've got a gripe it's that we let Bird and Crawford go, because I thought they were genuine prospects too, but maybe we needed the budget room to sign a player like Rodrigues, who hopefully will be another show-stopper like Roberts.
    Last edited by jackal2; 15-08-2020 at 06:22 PM.

GOALKEEPERS

GK - Sam Slocombe
    GK -
    GK - Tiernan Brooks

Offer made: Joe McDonnell (GK)

DEFENCE

RB -
    RB - Richard Brindley
    CB - Connell Rawlinson
    CB – Alex Lacey
    CB - Ben Turner
    CB -