+ Visit Crewe Alexandra FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Macc

I agree regarding Macclesfield and I find it ridiculous that the EFL keeps appealing independent panel decisions. Stevenage should be relegated. As for Sheffield Wednesday, they should be given a much larger points deduction as suggested by Gobstopper. Incidentally, Wigan are effectively being punished twice as their good playing squad is being gutted and who knows how competitive a team they will field next season in League One (subject to a new owner by 31 August or they may well follow Bury's doomed path to oblivion - at least for season 2020-21).

It is time the EFL defined sensibly what constitutes a fit and proper owner of a club. There are numerous examples, e.g. Leyton Orient, Leeds, Charlton and Macclesfield where a purchaser has proved not to be so fit and proper.
    Last edited by Furberstreet; 14-08-2020 at 01:26 PM. Reason: addition of new text

The ownership of Charlton Athletic is still under dispute. The much hated Monsieur Duchatelet, who would pass any fit and proper persons test and owns several football clubs across Europe, sold out to ESI investments, but this sale has not been approved and confirmed by the EFL. Indeed, the new owners of ESI, including Paul Elliott, have failed the fit and proper persons test, subject to appeal. The whole sorry mess has left nobody quite knowing who owns what, despite the EFL trying to ensure that an undesirable canal of owners do not take over. So I guess that even when the authorities do try to intervene it isn’t always that straightforward.

As for Macc, the current owner (who has I believe resigned from the Board) has been on the Board for many years and was lauded when they were promoted back into the EFL a few years ago. Much like Hassall at the Alex who, when first on the Board many years ago, put money into the club but subsequently became a drain on our resources and we were glad to see him leave (that was the diplomatic version!). So the question becomes when does a previously responsible and welcomed investor cease to be a fit and proper person? And what can the EFL do when that happens? Same questions can be asked about Smurf’s tenure at the Vale.

Anybody know what is happening with the Swindon debacle?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12