+ Visit Motherwell FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: That was a relegation performance...

That was a relegation performance...

There were a few positives - Carson good, Mugabi did very well relative to his position in the squad, Campbell better, Turnbull much better (though still with a long way to go), Seedorf again dangerous, Hylton lively when he came on.

But jeezo...Livi just lost to St Mirren and got pumped at home on their midden of a pitch, they haven't won a game on grass for over year and while a draw was probably fair, we certainly can't say we were unlucky not to win.

Hastie on the right yet again? Long equally poor when not asked to lead the line? White won a few headers but is an utter donkey and nowhere near good enough for the top-flight yet we gave him 90 mins (!!!) with Watt on the bench? Polworth almost sold the jerserys twice. I'm not going to crucify Lamie as he's effectively third choice LB but we'd be as well playing Carroll on one leg.

I'm normally relaxed about Robinson's flaws as a manager because I think overall he gets the club, the players always back him and ultimately scrapes through on the pitch but three games like that are very, very hard to defend. Easter Road and Parkhead are obviously going to be nil points so if we don't beat Accies at home (or god forbid lose, which you wouldn't rule out) we'll be bottom of the league by the end of an August which should have, on paper, had points flowing.

Edit to add: for all my moaning, I can see us getting better and sharper in the midfield and/or going forward. But we're not improving the defence or the supply to the midfield/forward until our injury situation gets better and that's a long time coming. We're essentially a relegation team until September, this will not be pretty.
    Last edited by Handsome_Devil; 12-08-2020 at 09:01 PM.

Take a potion and have a good night's sleep. You never know - you could dream of a 'Well win!

Now one win in eleven games is relegation form in anyone’s language IMO Robinson has a huge decisions to make No1 does he spend money now on a left back/defender. No.2 decide on the best player for each possession no mater who he has to bench. No.3 does he go 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 or even try to stifle Hibs and Celtic by going 4-5-1 We are a team you look clueless in tactics and have a lack of creativity about our play. Not an easy job for the manager to fix but that is what he is paid to do

Robbo not pleased...from the BBC interview...

"I'm happy with the first point, I'm happy that we defended throws okay, I'm happy we handled the physical aspect of Livingston, but that's probably where my happiness ends," he tells BBC Radio Scotland.

"Some people aren't performing and we're playing with seven men every single week

"I've been patient, I've cajoled people, but they've been told tonight that it is simply not good enough. If they want to play for this football club, they will die for this football club.

"This football club has been very good to people and put careers on track and, if everybody gave me what Allan Campbell has on that pitch, we'd be a lot further up that league."

Three games in and one point to show for our efforts, from three of the games you should be looking to pick up points..... that was abysmal. We didn't deserve a point tonight, failures all over the park (with the exception of Campbell Turnbull & Carson). Tonight we struggled badly against a poor team who looked stronger, fitter and better than us in all departments.
    FFS we'll be relying on Nicola giving the SPFL a second yellow to put us out our misery.

Quote Originally Posted by skippy91 View Post
    Three games in and one point to show for our efforts, from three of the games you should be looking to pick up points..... that was abysmal. We didn't deserve a point tonight, failures all over the park (with the exception of Campbell Turnbull & Carson). Tonight we struggled badly against a poor team who looked stronger, fitter and better than us in all departments.
    FFS we'll be relying on Nicola giving the SPFL a second yellow to put us out our misery.
    It's the fitness and sharpness that bothers me - we're arriving to challenge just after the ball has gone, we're allowing too much leeway to teams in the middle third, we're not threatening our opponents the way they threaten us running towards the defence. And that's against Ross, Utd. and Livi!
    A point is a point, but it's just as well that Livi didn't go for the win.

Quote Originally Posted by dazlhigh View Post
    It's the fitness and sharpness that bothers me - we're arriving to challenge just after the ball has gone, we're allowing too much leeway to teams in the middle third, we're not threatening our opponents the way they threaten us running towards the defence. And that's against Ross, Utd. and Livi!
    A point is a point, but it's just as well that Livi didn't go for the win.
    Can't argue with that. Too many players just didn't look up for it. I didn't think Campbell played particularly well and certainly not when defending. He and O'Hara were outfought in the midfield battleground. Our off the ball work rate simply couldn't match that of Livingston's. Again we played players out of position needlessly especially up front and resorted much too much on the long, but fruitless long ball to an isolated and outnumbered striker. Turnbull took his goal well but has a long way to go to regain his previous form. Showed up well in flashes but anonymous for long spells.
    Last edited by Wellup4it; 12-08-2020 at 11:20 PM.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)