+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The world of work.

The world of work.

Work is a means to an end. It takes up most of our spare time and also our lives.
    We don't get as much free time as some countries such as Germany, they get more beach time than us.
    But that's okay,us Brit's love to work. Many don't know what to do with themselves when they are out of work. The poor devil by us waits for his grass to grow so he can cut it again. He also grows beans and moans about the quality of them, you can get a load off a grocer for a few pence.
    People are brainwashed into letting work dominate their lives, some keep going into their seventies and eighties and are forgotten a few months after they peg it.
    Then you get people who win the lottery or the pools and still carry on working. Why do it in the first place?
    As a nation we are a boring lot, our lives revolve around work. There isn't a lot else in them. Work dominates conversations in pub's and club's. "What do you do?" You hear people say. Who gives a sh1t? I couldn't give a toss if you have a high powered job or the Queen's personal arse wiper. Talking about work bores me almost as much as folks who talk about car's. It's a lump of metal on rubber FFS, and you have to spend more time at work to pay for it.
    Some men like a car more than a woman and I'll wager a fair few have tossed themselves off over one.
    The only thing I find more boring than work and car's is watching Albion perform in the transfer market.

Cheered me up no end that!

Classic Des! I’ll just forget about that new car now! I may as well just move into the care home.......

I’m a different animal.......I can’t comprehend a life lived without goals.

Just my mentality Des but where we differ is I don’t judge those less materialistic or without ambition.

We can’t all be the same.

Regarding the Albion.........we must be the unluckiest club in the world in that we attracted a multi billionaire with no f u c k I n g ambition........you couldn’t make it up!

I used to work,then,the crafty chinks unleashed part 69 of their cunning plan for world domination However,that nice chap Rishi sends me beer tokens every week,so life could be worse

Work for me usually involves been in the company of persons I would rather not be in the company of, by choice. Some people make a nice day hard work.....
    So the work is very subjective....

I think most of us are or have been fortunate enough to have jobs that are at least somewhat stimulating. Can't imagine having a job when every day is the same.

Worst example I ever saw was a small factory in Bham where a dozen or so ladies spent literally every working hour putting 1000's of washers onto 1000's of screws. The machinery making the screws was just behind them so they all had to wear ear defenders and so couldn't talk to each other. It's an image that has stayed with me for more than 40 years.

There are lots (perhaps even the majority) of jobs more akin to this drudgery than one in anyway interesting.

You're right 923, when the mines all shut down in the Welsh valleys communities were left with only their history and not a lot has come into the area to this day. A few years ago during a visit to a cosmetics plant I saw a burly cheery fella screwing tops onto bottles of nail varnish all day long, definitely an ex-miner and I'm sure his cheery disposition helped him through. Would have driven me round the bend in less than an hour.

I like the idea of work, gives a sense of purpose and brings structure to society but I also think that view is being replaced by a sizeable segment of society that think the world owes them iPhones and Nikes for doing f'all.

My wife is a district nurse, they work closely with the McMillan nurses, they have a survey they often ask people at end of life who are willing, one question is what do you most regret in life, the most common answer is ‘I wish I hadn’t worked so hard’. Unless it’s your firm no one really cares about you as an individual, take time and smell the roses is my advice, this being from someone in their mid 50’s who still works silly hours in the city..well not so much in the city anymore thanks to Covid but long hours non the less, I am trying to take my own advice and no longer have my phone with me all the time, it’s a start and quite liberating.
    Last edited by DaveP67 is back!; 15-08-2020 at 04:19 PM. Reason: Spelling

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)