+ Visit Barnsley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walton signs new contract

Walton signs new contract

Great news for me, this kid will turn out to be one of the best keepers in the Championship if he continues the form he showed after lockdown!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53737507

Ensures we get the best maximum fee we can get when he's sold in January .

Contracts ain't wot they used to be.

Many years ago if a player signed a contract it usually meant he was committing himself loyally to the club for a number of years and fans could develop a bond with the player over time. Nardays, on both sides, club and player, it's just a negotiating tool when the expected sale arrives, usually after abart two years, if that, at the club. The longer the time remaining on the contract, the greater the fee.

Contract signing should be seen for what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by SBRed48 View Post
    Contracts ain't wot they used to be.

Many years ago if a player signed a contract it usually meant he was committing himself loyally to the club for a number of years and fans could develop a bond with the player over time. Nardays, on both sides, club and player, it's just a negotiating tool when the expected sale arrives, usually after abart two years, if that, at the club. The longer the time remaining on the contract, the greater the fee.

Contract signing should be seen for what it is.
    Totally agree SB.

Best keeper we've produced at the club since Dave Watson that I will say .

Hugely impressed with him when he came in when the season re-started .

I like the way he comes and catches the ball which seems to be a dying skill these days and takes a huge amount of pressure off the defence .

That save in the first half at Brentford in the final game that kept us 1-0 up at half time was off the scale .

I guess we'd better enjoy him while we can .

Yep, I'll agree with all of those comments Animal.
    I liked the lad Walton when he first got his chance in the relegation season, remember when we finally dropped Adam Davies at that time.
    I wasn't sure why we went out and signed both Sammi Radlinger and Brad Collins, I wondered why we didn't put faith in Jack Walton then (unless it was another unfortunate injury).

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Yep, I'll agree with all of those comments Animal.
    I liked the lad Walton when he first got his chance in the relegation season, remember when we finally dropped Adam Davies at that time.
    I wasn't sure why we went out and signed both Sammi Radlinger and Brad Collins, I wondered why we didn't put faith in Jack Walton then (unless it was another unfortunate injury).
    A top class keeper will gain you 15 points over a season and this lad is potentially in that category in my opinion .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    A top class keeper will gain you 15 points over a season and this lad is potentially in that category in my opinion .
    Just think of teams who have had all the class in the world upfield, but a disappointing keeper or an inability do defend has continually let them down.
    Newcastle under Kev Keegan stand out there, and so do Tottenham under Ossie Ardiles. Two attacking exciting Premship teams who ultimately won nowt. The Brazil national team also stand out in World cups '82 & '86 here, for not winning it.

Fingers crossed eh that Jack the lad keeps on improving as our no.1 keeper, this 3 year extension is an excellent piece of news.

Quote Originally Posted by Acido View Post
    Just think of teams who have had all the class in the world upfield, but a disappointing keeper or an inability do defend has continually let them down.
    Newcastle under Kev Keegan stand out there, and so do Tottenham under Ossie Ardiles. Two attacking exciting Premship teams who ultimately won nowt. The Brazil national team also stand out in World cups '82 & '86 here, for not winning it.

Fingers crossed eh that Jack the lad keeps on improving as our no.1 keeper, this 3 year extension is an excellent piece of news.
    Exactly acido , look at the fee Liverpool paid for Allison and for all their star outfield offensive players it's him and Van Dijk who have turned them in to winners .

The season before last Adam Davies had a phenomenal season in league one , we wouldn't have got the automatic promotion without him .

Quote Originally Posted by animallittle3 View Post
    ... The season before last Adam Davies had a phenomenal season in league one , we wouldn't have got the automatic promotion without him .
    Yep, I know and admit I criticised Adam during the relegation season, because he deserved it in all fairness!.
    BUT he definitely did also play a brilliant part in the immediate promotion season, and it was a shame at the time when he left us, seeing as we were back in the Champship.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast