+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Main rivals for next season

Quote Originally Posted by wossie View Post
    I really feel that we can be champions in the NL next season. TBH If it wasn't for the pandemic I thought we were going to win it last season.
    So have I like most football supporters have rose tinted glasses on?.
    So who do you guys feel could be our main challanges next season?.
    In these times it’s going to be really tough for a lot of clubs at our level and in L1 and L2. The money is just not there. So it means that the power is with the clubs instead of players which may not be a bad thing as football has needed a reality check for along time.

To answer your question I think Stockport Hartlepool and Yeovil could be a strong contenders to kick on and try to retain their football league status.

Other former football league clubs like Halifax, Barnet, Torquay and Wrexham could also attract the better players available. Chesterfield may have reached rock bottom and may now be in a position to move forward and progress following their takeover. They are likely where we were a year ago.

Outsiders for me would be the likes of Woking who did really well but fell away so if they strengthen they maybe strong. Also Solihull Moors.

That’s ten clubs including ours in that group I’ve mentioned. There maybe a surprise package as well.

It will not be easy and we will need to be really consistent and very good if we want to go up as Champions.

How many teams will be able to strengthen their squad from last season? Stockport, for sure. Us, by the noises coming out of the club and the signings thus far. Hartlepool? Think many others (like Barnet and Dover) will be making major cutbacks.

If we can get more intensity and energy into the team so we’re able to dominate teams and keep them pinned back (maintaining possession in our own half doesn’t count), I think we’ve a good chance of finishing in the top two - especially if fans are allowed back into grounds this autumn and we get that revenue stream back.

My dark horse is Kings Lynn. Crazy to think we’re now at the same level as them, but such are the joys of football.

As a fair few pundits have commented: the National League is probably the hardest league to get out of because you have to win it, or face the lottery of the playoffs.

In the last 50 years Notts have had a fair few promotions but ONLY been promoted as champions 3 times.

Our last 3 playoff campaigns have ended up in failure and in my opinion deservedly so, ( Notts fans can debate the injustice of the Coventry defeat all they like but the better team won end of).

I don't think Notts will win the National League but they have a very good chance of making the playoffs. Other contenders will be Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool, surely Wrexham after 12 miserable years in the wilderness, and a couple of surprises like Sutton Utd and newly promoted Kings Lynn l

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    It could have been close, but Barrow had a sizeable advantage, 7 points clear, a game in hand , a better goal difference.

Notts had 9 games left , so 27 available, so it was possible but not likely
    I don’t think we’d have been competing for top spot against Barrow. I think it would have been against Harrogate.

Barrow had lost their top scorer (the guy who scored a massive proportion of their goals) were on a poor run, and if you read their supporters comments wouldn’t even win in the playoffs they fully expected to be in!

I don’t think we’d have to worry about them despite the points difference.

But we’ll never know. It’s all ifs buts and maybe’s.

Quote Originally Posted by pravda_plc View Post
    As a fair few pundits have commented: the National League is probably the hardest league to get out of because you have to win it, or face the lottery of the playoffs.

In the last 50 years Notts have had a fair few promotions but ONLY been promoted as champions 3 times.

Our last 3 playoff campaigns have ended up in failure and in my opinion deservedly so, ( Notts fans can debate the injustice of the Coventry defeat all they like but the better team won end of).

I don't think Notts will win the National League but they have a very good chance of making the playoffs. Other contenders will be Stockport, Yeovil, Hartlepool, surely Wrexham after 12 miserable years in the wilderness, and a couple of surprises like Sutton Utd and newly promoted Kings Lynn l
    You can debate it as much as you want, Coventry were not the better team
    We finished above them in the table, and should have been 3-2 up on aggregate going into the second half at home

Quote Originally Posted by Davy500 View Post
    You can debate it as much as you want, Coventry were not the better team
    We finished above them in the table, and should have been 3-2 up on aggregate going into the second half at home
    And we are now 3 leagues behind them!
    Agreed though, we were the victim of 3 bad refereeing decisions. Surely that can't be disputed. Not many teams will overcome that, a 3 goal start against you.

ask me at christmas and I will supply some meaningful opinion!

Quote Originally Posted by magpie_mania View Post
    And we are now 3 leagues behind them!
    Agreed though, we were the victim of 3 bad refereeing decisions. Surely that can't be disputed. Not many teams will overcome that, a 3 goal start against you.
    I know its hard to believe Coventry are 3 leagues above us

Could have quite easily have been Notts in the Championship today, who knows how things could have been different if we had gone through that match. After all, 3 of the clubs round us have got there from that season, in Coventry , Luton, and Wycombe

Hardy,s gamble would of then paid off , with the estimated( £31 million as of 2018), for getting to the championship for just one season.

Such small margins between success and failure in football

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123