+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What an FN turn around,well done Mark Connolly

Quote Originally Posted by offshore_arab83 View Post
    This for me too, early days of course but not as attacking as some think/like to think
    What was interesting with the no crowd thing at the St Johnstone game was you could hear Micky on numerous occasions shouting 'one way' to the players when they had the ball and it looked like they were going to play a square or back pass. Together with the comments from Harkes on Micky wanting to play higher up the pitch I think it is clear what Micky wants.

Are the players he inherited good enough for this? possibly not and he knows he needs to add quality Does it take time to change a culture in a club? Yes it does. We cant expect miracles at this stage as a championship team steps up a level. I don think there is any doubt though what Micky wants to achieve.

Quote Originally Posted by arab777 View Post
    What was interesting with the no crowd thing at the St Johnstone game was you could hear Micky on numerous occasions shouting 'one way' to the players when they had the ball and it looked like they were going to play a square or back pass. Together with the comments from Harkes on Micky wanting to play higher up the pitch I think it is clear what Micky wants.

Are the players he inherited good enough for this? possibly not and he knows he needs to add quality Does it take time to change a culture in a club? Yes it does. We cant expect miracles at this stage as a championship team steps up a level. I don think there is any doubt though what Micky wants to achieve.
    Of course there isn't and of course we can't expect miracles. Myself and Terry were only commenting on what we've seen so far, mainly from the Hibs game, and that is that we offered very little going forward. We've also both clearly stated we're more than happy with MM so far. The way some posters are reacting to us stating, what are merely facts regarding the Hibs game, you'd think we had the knives out for MM already.

What I will add is something you've touched on about the players MM has inherited. Butcher & Harkes are not good enough together. Something I said numerous times last season. They offering zero creativity and this needs changed. If we don't create for the strikers, we're never going to score. We cannot rely on our wide players to supply the ammunition, especially when they are also being deployed as full backs. I also don't think Appere is an out and out striker, he's far more effective on the wing, however I realise the managers hands are tied right now. This does beg the question though, where do he fit into MM's plans as he can't be played out wide in a 3-5-2. I'd also add that Clark is looking like a player who's operating above his level. He's been very poor so far. The back four/five and the keeper have done well so far. Reynolds and Connolly do still give me nightmares however.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Of course there isn't and of course we can't expect miracles. Myself and Terry were only commenting on what we've seen so far, mainly from the Hibs game, and that is that we offered very little going forward. We've also both clearly stated we're more than happy with MM so far. The way some posters are reacting to us stating, what are merely facts regarding the Hibs game, you'd think we had the knives out for MM already.

What I will add is something you've touched on about the players MM has inherited. Butcher & Harkes are not good enough together. Something I said numerous times last season. They offering zero creativity and this needs changed. If we don't create for the strikers, we're never going to score. We cannot rely on our wide players to supply the ammunition, especially when they are also being deployed as full backs. I also don't think Appere is an out and out striker, he's far more effective on the wing, however I realise the managers hands are tied right now. This does beg the question though, where do he fit into MM's plans as he can't be played out wide in a 3-5-2. I'd also add that Clark is looking like a player who's operating above his level. He's been very poor so far. The back four/five and the keeper have done well so far. Reynolds and Connolly do still give me nightmares however.
    This . I’m fully behind MM. The team has looked tactically superior to last year and the players appear to know their roles better. I know it’s early days but the final third and lack of link up play is a concern. When MM came in he made the point of mentioning that all the pressure shld by be on shanks and the goals shld be shared out. I think this is what he is striving, but it’s going to take time.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post

I was reacting to the point 'I don't get the view that MM is an attack minded coach to be honest' from TT I think the evidence from Micky's messages to the players says otherwise. I am not questioning anyone not getting behind Micky. I don't know where that ideas has come from.

To focus on the the Hibs game as evidence I think is unfair. Hibs had scored 6 games in their previous 2 league games and they offered very little going forward. You get games where team cancel each other out.

Hibs are an attack minded team with plenty of quality options on the bench. They were at full strength. We were attack minded with most of our available options on the pitch, and then lost Robson before he had a chance to break sweat. Our first priority was to contain Hibs and over the 90 we did that very well. They didn't have any more goal scoring opportunities than us.

It looks as though we will be able to compete with the best, until the scoring starts.

Well done to Connolly

Mellon style of play not established yet. I think he does like to get the ball forward, maybe a bit long ball but mixing it up too and pressing. He is willing to change formations and tries to play players in their correct positions - that’s all a bonus compared to some previous managers

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)