+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What an FN turn around,well done Mark Connolly

What an FN turn around,well done Mark Connolly

Micky Mellon is lavish in his praise for the leader in the dressing room Mark Connolly and extends his contract till 2023.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/53774249

Although me and Stokie boy have had differing opinions over the years he ken's his futba,FACT.When he awards Connolly 8/10 v Hibs on Tuesday night i had one question on my mind.
    Why was Connolly berated on this board under a boring defensive minded coach(Neilson)but reaches our MOTM status under an attack minded coach called Micky Mellon?.
    The answer of course is simple our new manager is a class above Robbie and is showing sign's of being our best appointment since the legend Jim McLean,i know Funsters will bookmark this post and thread but i know my football too,WASC with a FACT.

I don't get the view that MM is an attack minded coach to be honest. So far we've scored 2 goals in 3 matches and against Hibs we never had a shot on target worthy of note.

I'm well aware Shankland was missing from 2 of those and that's going to have an obvious impact but, even against StJ, I felt the priority was to avoid conceding first and foremost.

Quote Originally Posted by TerryTheTerror View Post
    I don't get the view that MM is an attack minded coach to be honest. So far we've scored 2 goals in 3 matches and against Hibs we never had a shot on target worthy of note.

I'm well aware Shankland was missing from 2 of those and that's going to have an obvious impact but, even against StJ, I felt the priority was to avoid conceding first and foremost.
    Agreed. Its been clear his main tactic right now is keeping us tight at the back. We're effectively playing with 5 defenders on the park in this new formation. There's not been much change in us in an attacking sense from last season.

I think you are being harsh here, he sets the team up to be in a position to attack more by defending and pressing higher up the pitch than Robbie ever did. It is clear he has coached the players to do this part very well, but as he said himself
    "We just had to show that wee bit more quality when we're going into that final third - a wee bit more imagination, more cuteness, in those packed areas,"

The ability to shoot on target is down to the players on the day, getting the players fit enough and setting up a formation to allow them to do that is down to Mellon, and no complaints from me so far about what Mellon has done.

The difference in the shape of the team, the discipline and the organisation, along with the fact the players actually look as though they know exactly what roles they are supposed to be playing, between now and when Robbie was in charge is frightening. Makes you think Neilson just picked the team at random and told them to go and try and win a game of football.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    The difference in the shape of the team, the discipline and the organisation, along with the fact the players actually look as though they know exactly what roles they are supposed to be playing, between now and when Robbie was in charge is frightening. Makes you think Neilson just picked the team at random and told them to go and try and win a game of football.
    Tombola anyone?.

I cant believe what I am reading. We have just stepped up a level and played 2 teams who finished in the top 6 and a team who are currently touted for finishing in top 3. And we were without our star striker in 2 of these games. Hibs created little against us so does that mean they are not attack minded?

Harkes said in an interview last week 'the boss wants us to play higher up the pitch' I think that is probably a better gauge of what MM is wanting than not scoring a barrow load of goals in our first 3 tough fixtures with a pretty much a largely unchanged team from The Championship

Folk will read into it what they want, it's subjective. I understand the manger is in his honeymoon period and perhaps this is what that means.

Fwiw I think we've had a great start to the season and I'm right behind what MM is doing with limited personnel. We probably should have done better against StJ given the circumstances of that match, amazing result against the Well, and a very creditable performance versus Hibs (a little unlucky not too get a draw).

This for me too, early days of course but not as attacking as some think/like to think

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)