+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- A Level Results

... it's that level in the swamp hierarchy - which advises the civil servants - who have real experience of our educational system. They must have known this was a car crash waiting to happen and can sit there, 'not me Gov't, I'm only an adviser ...

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... this whole farce makes me laugh. Whilst the government definitely carries the can, the educationalists have sat on their hands moaning about CV19 as if they are a special case. Meanwhile these so called smart alecs have had months to devise an acceptable alternative mark awarding system - because they're super intelligent and know all the answers. But it's beneath them to do anything that's non standard and solve a problem.
    Left to me, I wouldn't allow anyone wishing to be a teacher anywhere near a school until they've worked for 10 years in the real world.
    CV19 will turn out to be a real bonus for some young people who are having an early taste of what it's like to have whyte deposited upon then. The good ones will resolve not to rely on others, but to learn about making their own way in life
    Oh, by the way, most of us know that academic qualifications only get you to an interview; personal attributes being far more important with regards to a successful job or career ... but don't tell the teachers!
    You have given some truly dumb responses over the years, Black Bess, but you are plumbing new depths here. However, you did get it right with your opening salvo - 'the government carries the can'.
    Amongst educationists there are plenty of lateral thinkers, but when those who are your 'lord and master' make their demands in such singular and linear terms, what can you do? Most of the present government went through a public school system that opts for 'cramming' and sees learning as moving from A to B whereas it is better to conceive of it as a concentric model.
    The present minister for education attended one of Scarborough's weakest comprehensives at that time and didn't cover himself in glory when he attended Bradford. In other words, there was no intellectual rigour during those years. Sometimes that doesn't matter because people mature later in life, but I think this s h i t storm has found Gavin out.

To answer the original question:

Yes our son got a c in physics (His favourite subject) when his predicted grade was a B. Which means he cant do the astrophysics course he wanted to do.

He was doing Maths, Physics, and a double IT

In the end he decided to drop the maths because the workload was just too much. In the months after he did that his physics grades improved dramatically so it does seem from our point of view as though there is something wrong here. We did all this in consultation with the school to give him the best chance of doing what he wanted to do. In retrospect it would have been better for him to continue with maths because he was consistently c level across his whole a level time with both maths and physics. Feels a bit shafted now.

So now he's going to do software engineering. Which is very depressing from my point of view. I've worked as a software developer on and off for most of my working life so i'll still be useful. I would have been happier if he'd gone and done astrophysics and left me cheerfully oblivious. So i feel a bit shafted too!

Sorry to hear that CaptainBalrog. I hope your son appeals and gets an upgrade.

I found out since I posted this that one of my cousin's kids got marked down too. He's still got his university place thankfully, but it's a shame to see so many young people so disappointed. And from all the info that's coming out it seems to only be young people who go to non-fee-paying schools who are experiencing this. Which points to an unfair algorithm in the first place.

Putting in an ‘algorithm’ that bumps up private school’s kid’s grades while downgrading those from a more modest background is pretty much peak Tory.

You get what you voted for folks.

Quote Originally Posted by BigFatPie View Post
    Putting in an ‘algorithm’ that bumps up private school’s kid’s grades while downgrading those from a more modest background is pretty much peak Tory.

You get what you voted for folks.
    Interesting. Sauce please?

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    He won’t be able to Swale.

Look, at the end of the day there is an appeals process and also the opportunity to sit exams to achieve actual results. Let’s be honest, University will be **** this year. Freshers week will be a damp squib. So but put back a year isn’t the end of the world.

The only alternative is to give everyone the grades they think they deserve.

Quote Originally Posted by Notts78 View Post
    He won’t be able to Swale.
    Indeed

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    https://www.channel4.com/news/factch...rivate-schools

Cheers, will take a look

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast