+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T:- A Level Results

O/T:- A Level Results

Anyone got any family or friends been messed up by this algorithm? You start to wonder if this government have thrown a whole generation of our kids to the wolves.

Friend of mine's daughter was predicted AAB all along. She got BBC because of the algorithm. Never had a grade lower than a B in anything until the final result. Gutted for them both. Hearing so many other stories like this too.
    Last edited by SwalePie; 14-08-2020 at 11:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    Anyone got any family or friends been messed up by this algorithm? You start to wonder if this government have thrown a whole generation of our kids to the wolves.

Friend of mine's daughter was predicted AAB all along. She got BBC because of the algorithm. Never had a grade lower than a B in anything until the final result. Gutted for them both. Hearing so many other stories like this too.
    Does she go to a state school, perchance?

That's the worst case I've heard do far; if she got "BBC" the usual suspects will hate her even more!!!

She goes to a sixth-form college. She'll 100% be appealing though. Her teachers can't understand it either.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmithRules View Post
    She goes to a sixth-form college. She'll 100% be appealing though. Her teachers can't understand it either.
    From all I've read so far, it's all down to some algorithm based on the institution, so her performance is pretty much irrelevant.

Even typing that sounds so damn ridiculous as a way of measuring her ability.

Ah well, at least us proles can take comfort from the motivational speeches being given by conservative hereditary peers / hangers on.

Name:  HereditaryPeer.jpg
Views: 543
Size:  75.0 KB

If we had gone for modular courses in the first place (as many European countries do) this mess need never have happened in the first place but unfortunately the Tories are wedded to the idea of a terminal exam.
    The truth of the matter is that each grade band has a % expectation. So, for example, each year 4.4% of pupils will get a starred 1 and so on. In reality, this turns the grading into a competitive circus. On top of that, schools are moderated according to previous years' results, which is hardly fair on the individual who has improved his /her standard or the school that has made progress since a poor inspection.
    Modular courses could get rid of this mess plus they would have been interrupted minimally by Covid-19.

Another Tory farce that penalises anyone that does not go to a fee-paying school.

This government limps from one self-inflicted crisis to another.

Quote Originally Posted by sidders View Post
    If we had gone for modular courses in the first place (as many European countries do) this mess need never have happened in the first place but unfortunately the Tories are wedded to the idea of a terminal exam.
    The truth of the matter is that each grade band has a % expectation. So, for example, each year 4.4% of pupils will get a starred 1 and so on. In reality, this turns the grading into a competitive circus. On top of that, schools are moderated according to previous years' results, which is hardly fair on the individual who has improved his /her standard or the school that has made progress since a poor inspection.
    Modular courses could get rid of this mess plus they would have been interrupted minimally by Covid-19.
    Do all the UK countries use terminal exams, or is it just England ? Could they learn anything from the other Home Nations ?

... this whole farce makes me laugh. Whilst the government definitely carries the can, the educationalists have sat on their hands moaning about CV19 as if they are a special case. Meanwhile these so called smart alecs have had months to devise an acceptable alternative mark awarding system - because they're super intelligent and know all the answers. But it's beneath them to do anything that's non standard and solve a problem.
    Left to me, I wouldn't allow anyone wishing to be a teacher anywhere near a school until they've worked for 10 years in the real world.
    CV19 will turn out to be a real bonus for some young people who are having an early taste of what it's like to have whyte deposited upon then. The good ones will resolve not to rely on others, but to learn about making their own way in life
    Oh, by the way, most of us know that academic qualifications only get you to an interview; personal attributes being far more important with regards to a successful job or career ... but don't tell the teachers!

Quote Originally Posted by TheBlackHorse View Post
    ... this whole farce makes me laugh. Whilst the government definitely carries the can, the educationalists have sat on their hands moaning about CV19 as if they are a special case. Meanwhile these so called smart alecs have had months to devise an acceptable alternative mark awarding system - because they're super intelligent and know all the answers. But it's beneath them to do anything that's non standard and solve a problem.
    Left to me, I wouldn't allow anyone wishing to be a teacher anywhere near a school until they've worked for 10 years in the real world.
    CV19 will turn out to be a real bonus for some young people who are having an early taste of what it's like to have whyte deposited upon then. The good ones will resolve not to rely on others, but to learn about making their own way in life
    Oh, by the way, most of us know that academic qualifications only get you to an interview; personal attributes being far more important with regards to a successful job or career ... but don't tell the teachers!
    Which educationalists have sat on their hands and which smart Alec’s do you refer to?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast