+ Visit Burnley FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Come back Motty.

Come back Motty.

Ribble Valley FM, god bless them, they sent a camera crew to Shawbridge yesterday for the Clitheroe v Ashton United pre-season friendly, they weren't allowed to show it live so they put it out on their YouTube channel at 5.30.

So there I was, eating my tea with Clitheroe playing, almost live, on the big screen in my living room. They'd engaged some guy called, I think, Dave Hutchinson, to do the commentary. Being a local station you'd think Dave would be a local lad and know about the local football team, but it seemed not. In a pre-match interview he asked manager David Lynch about the recent friendly against Lancaster, David gently pointed out that they hadn't played Lancaster recently, maybe he meant Longridge. Then it got worse, much worse, the game started and Clitheroe were playing in their usual blue strip, but Dave must have been unaware that Clitheroe play in blue and got the teams mixed up, he thought Clitheroe were the team in red and Ashton in blue, he couldn't work out why Clitheroe's No 22 wasn't on his team sheet, well of course he wasn't, he was playing for Ashton, Clitheroe didn't have a No 22. This farce went on for 15 minutes until you could hear a voice in the background whispering, 'Ashton are in red'. So at last he had the teams right, but he continued to talk about Clitheroe Town for the rest of the game, no idea who they are. He went ballistic anytime either team scored or looked like scoring and described one lad trying to dribble into the penalty area as 'dicky dancing, a trick and a trot'. WTF ?

I dislike most football commentators and I especially disliked Motty, but they've all gone up in my estimation now, they're all top class professionals compared to this clown.

sinkov--when will you learn? Turn the sound off, put some of your favourite vinyl on the turntable and get the best of both worlds ----footie you want to watch and music you love to hear and not stressing out about commentators, pundits etc. At last you didn't hav VAR to contend with!

No, no Sub, don't get me wrong, i didn't call him a clown for nothing, this was the funniest thing I've heard since poor old Tommy Cooper popped his clogs, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

And they didn't need VAR, Ribble Valley FM, besides three cameras, had a drone hovering over the ground as well, no need for goal line technology.

I couldnt stand Motson Sinkov, and he stayed on for to many years before he eventually retired.

There was only one I liked, which was Barry Davies, he was made for the job.

Brian Moore and Kenneth Wolstenholme both knew the game inside out and never, ever thought they were bigger than the game they were watching.

Quote Originally Posted by sinkov View Post
    No, no Sub, don't get me wrong, i didn't call him a clown for nothing, this was the funniest thing I've heard since poor old Tommy Cooper popped his clogs, I wouldn't have missed it for the world.

And they didn't need VAR, Ribble Valley FM, besides three cameras, had a drone hovering over the ground as well, no need for goal line technology.
    I suppose that if you were watching and laughing that is as good as anything ---sounds amazing, shame it wasn't the BBC!

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)