+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Pulis Knew A Player - Gnabry!

Anybody not 6” 4” and a defender had no chance under that tosser Pulis, if unsure ask the Boro fans, he didn’t rate Traiore either, seems to have done alright at Wolves.

Maybe coming to us was the making of him ....... saw what life was going to be like if he didn’t get his finger out..... and he duly did...

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    Having seen glimpses of Gnabry for Arsenal I recognised him as a real talent and I was really chuffed when we landed him on loan. He couldn't get into the Arsenal side on a regular basis due to a combination of their team being pretty good back then and because he was struggling to recapture his fitness following injury.

He came for game time but regardless of his natural talents he just wasn't fit enough. And although I was chuffed we'd got him I never really saw the tactical fit. Game time was always going to be a struggle. There had been question marks relating to his attitude to training whilst at Arsenal. I think coming here on loan was the wake up call he needed and he clearly listened to it.

He's gone on to really develop his game and his fitness levels are streets ahead of what they were because he's applying himself. Cracking player who was a bad fit for us back then but he's gone on to be a good fit elsewhere. Right player+ wrong circumstances = poor recruitment at a time of poor football.

It was a match made in hell for the lad but in truth he offered little to a team built on playing in certain zones of the pitch and heavily reliant on set plays. I don't really understand why we went for him to be honest. Chuffed though I was I could never see how it was going to work as he wasn't what was needed for Pulisball.

Further to this if his attitude to training was as off here as it reportedly was at Arsenal there was no way he'd have been picked for a TP side either. There are at least two sides to every story.
    Spot on 68. Honest. Factual. When Bilic gets us 10th in the league he will have matched Pulis. Two completely different managers. I totally prefer Bilic for lots of reasons. Pulis did a job at the time. Solidified our Premiership. Football was ugly but will Bilic get us to put 4 past Liverpool? 3 past Chelsea? Beat Liverpool home and away as well as Man U?........Would like to think so.

I remember going to that one game that Gnabry started (I think it was in the League cup) and he looked genuinely disinterested.

I really don't blame Pulis for not playing him at the time, and like others have said maybe that loan spell helped his career rather than harmed it.

Gnabry scores twice for Bayern in the semi final

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Gnabry scores twice for Bayern in the semi final
    Yes but was he any good at defending corners in the game?

We had 3 ex players in the semi finals of the European comps!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)