+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 102 of 299 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast
Results 1,011 to 1,020 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Agreeing with rA, let’s keep the right side of the good taste line chaps

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Swale, although we disagree I appreciate the respectful tone of your argument.

Others are busy back slapping about the fact that over 414,000 were vaccinated yesterday which is, I agree, a great achievement.
    I’m aware that this is an over simplification but there are approximately 945,000 people employed in schools of which around 440,000 are teachers. Is it really so much to ask for the likes of myself to delay a little while in order that those at the ‘sharp end’ are better protected?

I do also take on board your final paragraph and it is a very fair point which I largely agree with. Beyond that I really can see little point in me being part of this particular debate so long as there are comments being made such as GP’s stupidly offensive post #1004.
    GP likes to throw in a grenade now and then and run off into the hills, he is capable of sensible debate but often resorts to what he accuses others of!

So...returning to ‘sensible debate’ about the ‘Government’s Handling of Covid’...two or three things, some of which MA has touched on, may be of concern.

The Government’s track record during the pandemic as a whole has, imo, been very poor.

They have however seemingly performed surprisingly well over the vaccination process and long may that be the case.

Having said that...I know that people who received the vaccine last week are not due to receive their second dose until the third week of April eg two people who were vaccinated last Thursday (28th) are due to return for part two on the 16th April.
    I know people in other parts of the World who are ‘dubious’ about the efficacy of this gap which doesn’t appear to be being replicated elsewhere.

Two of the over seventies who were vaccinated last week were alarmed to hear that the Germans (please, please let’s not have an outpouring of anti German venom) were expressing reservations about the suitability of the ‘Oxford’ vaccine for the over 70’s.

How close are we to guaranteeing that the second doses will be readily available, because unless they are we’re wasting our time.

Thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    So...returning to ‘sensible debate’ about the ‘Government’s Handling of Covid’...two or three things, some of which MA has touched on, may be of concern.

The Government’s track record during the pandemic as a whole has, imo, been very poor.

They have however seemingly performed surprisingly well over the vaccination process and long may that be the case.

Having said that...I know that people who received the vaccine last week are not due to receive their second dose until the third week of April eg two people who were vaccinated last Thursday (28th) are due to return for part two on the 16th April.
    I know people in other parts of the World who are ‘dubious’ about the efficacy of this gap which doesn’t appear to be being replicated elsewhere.

Two of the over seventies who were vaccinated last week were alarmed to hear that the Germans (please, please let’s not have an outpouring of anti German venom) were expressing reservations about the suitability of the ‘Oxford’ vaccine for the over 70’s.

How close are we to guaranteeing that the second doses will be readily available, because unless they are we’re wasting our time.

Thoughts?
    on the over 65's issue

A spokesman for AstraZeneca also denied the reports were valid.

“Reports that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine efficacy is as low as 8% in adults over 65 years are completely incorrect. In the UK, the [Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation] supported use in this population and MHRA included this group without dose adjustment in the authorisation for emergency supply,” they said.

“In November, we published data in the Lancet demonstrating that older adults showed strong immune responses to the vaccine, with 100% of older adults generating spike-specific antibodies after the second dose.”

The german health ministry has also said the claim made by some german media is not correct.

On the supply side, the current delay is a temporary hiatus, all companies are ramping up supply and there is another "one shot" vaccine close to approval, so that will help enormously, so as we go forward supplies will increase.

The strategy of maximising the number of people who get at least some protection is sound in that there is no reason to suggest that the pfizer vaccine which shows high efficacy after 3 months, would suddenly become ineffective after that, there may be a gradual tailing off, but that won't be an issue if the second doe is given. Yes its a punt, but not a long shot (pun intended) and it should drive hospital admissions down.

The government has done well to get so many vaccinated, it just shows what can happen if you employ those people with the expertise to do it. We do need to get track and trace sorted as well, it will be needed for sometime after vaccinations have been completed in the UK, especially with regard to travellers entering the country from other countries.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    on the over 65's issue

“Reports that the AstraZeneca/Oxford vaccine efficacy is as low as 8% in adults over 65 years are completely incorrect. In the UK, the [Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation] supported use in this population and MHRA included this group without dose adjustment in the authorisation for emergency supply,” they said.

“In November, we published data in the Lancet demonstrating that older adults showed strong immune responses to the vaccine, with 100% of older adults generating spike-specific antibodies after the second dose.”

The german health ministry has also said the claim made by some german media is not correct.

On the supply side, the current delay is a temporary hiatus, all companies are ramping up supply and there is another "one shot" vaccine close to approval, so that will help enormously, so as we go forward supplies will increase.

The strategy of maximising the number of people who get at least some protection is sound in that there is no reason to suggest that the pfizer vaccine which shows high efficacy after 3 months, would suddenly become ineffective after that, there may be a gradual tailing off, but that won't be an issue if the second doe is given. Yes its a punt, but not a long shot (pun intended) and it should drive hospital admissions down.

The government has done well to get so many vaccinated, it just shows what can happen if you employ those people with the expertise to do it. We do need to get track and trace sorted as well, it will be needed for sometime after vaccinations have been completed in the UK, especially with regard to travellers entering the country from other countries.
    Agreed. Saved me writing a detailed response

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    on the over 65's issue

That’s all very encouraging and reassuring. Better explanation than many and I sincerely hope both you and AF are right.
    Still some concern over the fact that the two people I spoke of who now have to wait until mid April (11 weeks) for their second dose had the AstraZeneca one not the Pfizer one.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 30-01-2021 at 01:42 PM.

It seems AstraZeneca are more confident than Pfizer on this:

the CEO of AstraZeneca Pascal Soriot endorsed the three-month plan with regard to the Oxford vaccine. He said the first dose alone gave 100% protection against severe disease and hospitalisation. He said the second dose was only needed to give longer-term protection.

"I think the UK one-dose strategy is absolutely the right way to go, at least for our vaccine," he said.

The "one shot" vaccine on the horizon Swale mentioned is probably the Janssen one from Johnson and Johnson which was created here in te Netherlands. News outlets here were talking about it yasterday. Apparently it gives 66% protection. Better than nothing but is a vaccine that doesn't work in 1 out of every 3 doses the way to go?

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    The "one shot" vaccine on the horizon Swale mentioned is probably the Janssen one from Johnson and Johnson which was created here in te Netherlands. News outlets here were talking about it yasterday. Apparently it gives 66% protection. Better than nothing but is a vaccine that doesn't work in 1 out of every 3 doses the way to go?
    I recall they also said it offered 100% protection against the need for a ventilator (and therefore also death) and if I'm right that's still a useful protection, we should also remember these things have got to be pumped out in MASSIVE volumes over the near/medium term and if that was all that was available in my region I'd be a lot happier than going without

Good to read such seemingly informed and positive contributions. Thank you.

Page 102 of 299 FirstFirst ... 25292100101102103104112152202 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)