+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 103 of 299 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,030 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

There is a great deal of debate, especially abroad, about the wisdom of leaving the second vaccine for longer than the 3 weeks trialled by the pharmaceutical companies. Our scientists who have recommended the 12 week gap have based their decision on all historical vaccines which have been trialled over different gaps and have found that generally a 12 week gap displays more efficiency.

The next question is 'why haven't the current vaccines been tested for 12 weeks'? The answer to that should be obvious, the time constraint in getting the vaccine into people's arms meant that they couldn't afford to wait an extra 9 weeks, before submitting their vaccines for approval. Just think, if that was the case, then no vaccines would have been approved yet, nevermind the millions of jabs in people's arms.

Regarding RA's understandable doubt about the availablilty of vaccines for second doses after the hysteria shown by the EU this week, we should be in a far better position by April. Pfizer say that their increased production will soon commence and they will more than catch up by the end of March. Also, we Brits who are prepared to wait our turn in the queue when we place our order late, should start receiving our Moderna supplies along with the Novovax made on Teeside in March. BY this time the Astra vaccine should have increased its production.

I would anticipate that by May the UK will have more doses available than can be given and that we will then start sending our excess doses to the third world, to help with the global effort.

Just to be clear, R59...I haven’t said a word about the EU, let alone any ‘hysteria’.

Perhaps interestingly, given yesterday’s angst over prioritising the vaccine, I heard this evening that my Manchester based sister in law and brother in law have today received their jabs despite being ‘only’ 63 and 66 respectively.
    The reason? They’re both recognised as being at a higher degree of risk because they volunteer to work in a food bank.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Just to be clear, R59...I haven’t said a word about the EU, let alone any ‘hysteria’.

Perhaps interestingly, given yesterday’s angst over prioritising the vaccine, I heard this evening that my Manchester based sister in law and brother in law have today received their jabs despite being ‘only’ 63 and 66 respectively.
    The reason? They’re both recognised as being at a higher degree of risk because they volunteer to work in a food bank.
    My fb feed is littered with stories of ‘escapes’ from the prescribed order of things, I mentioned NHS management in a ‘local but not loved’ city suddenly deciding they were front line, family members of old timers turning up and demanding group injection, councils deciding to do their own selections, but a) who knows what’s true and what’s not and b) such behaviour is human nature.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39688381]Just to be clear, R59...I haven’t said a word about the EU, let alone any ‘hysteria’.

The reason? They’re both recognised as being at a higher degree of risk because they volunteer to work in a food bank.[/QUOTE

Correct, I didn't mean to imply that you did, I was just reflecting that the EU's stance over the last 24 hours, is leading people to question whether we'll lose some of 'our' vaccines and so endanger some second doses, which was your concern.

As to your relatives, that would be quite interesting to hear how that had come about. Obviously, there's nothing on their medical record to say what they do, so there must be some separate agency arranging vaccinations for people in exceptional circumstances.

It'll be interesting to see how the media view the roll out. Come tomorrow, the government are going to miss their target of vaccinating every over 80 and the care homes, followed by not reaching every 70 year old on February 15th. Although many others in following categories and many second doses will have been administered in excess of their promises.

I'll be watching the BBC hammer which ever lamb the government has put forward, for the slaughter on Tuesday morning.

Andrew Neil seems to have seen this coming a year ago, with EU leadership.
    Very trust worthy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M74i...nel=NewsAddict

[QUOTE=Ram59;39688409]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

The reason? They’re both recognised as being at a higher degree of risk because they volunteer to work in a food bank.[/QUOTE

Correct, I didn't mean to imply that you did, I was just reflecting that the EU's stance over the last 24 hours, is leading people to question whether we'll lose some of 'our' vaccines and so endanger some second doses, which was your concern.

As to your relatives, that would be quite interesting to hear how that had come about. Obviously, there's nothing on their medical record to say what they do, so there must be some separate agency arranging vaccinations for people in exceptional circumstances.

It'll be interesting to see how the media view the roll out. Come tomorrow, the government are going to miss their target of vaccinating every over 80 and the care homes, followed by not reaching every 70 year old on February 15th. Although many others in following categories and many second doses will have been administered in excess of their promises.

I'll be watching the BBC hammer which ever lamb the government has put forward, for the slaughter on Tuesday morning.
    Not sure which BBC you ahve been watching, its been a while since I've seen them do any slaughtering, or even forensic questioning which after all is the media's job. Now channel 4 are much better at holding politico's to account!

[QUOTE=swaledale;39688939]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

Not sure which BBC you ahve been watching, its been a while since I've seen them do any slaughtering, or even forensic questioning which after all is the media's job. Now channel 4 are much better at holding politico's to account!
    The only BBC news I watch is Tuesday and Friday mornings and at around 7.30 am, it's 'minister bait' time. A couple of Friday's ago, Munchetty was at her best with some whimp from the government, Jenrick, I believe, he was trying to say that the vaccination of the over 80s and care homes was a 'target' that they were hoping to meet by the end of January, but she goaded and goaded him into 'guaranteeing' that this would be achieved. What a ridiculous question and an even more whimpish surrender and promise to make.

How on earth could he guarantee that individual, computer, supply, weather, etc, flip ups won't prevent somebody getting a jab? I'm all for holding to account, but this government baiting and entrapment is neither required nor desired.

As I've stated, despite the overwhelming 'success' of the vaccine rollout, I'm sure BBC breakfast will not let me down on Tuesday morning in criticising the government's broken guarantee.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

The only BBC news I watch is Tuesday and Friday mornings and at around 7.30 am, it's 'minister bait' time. A couple of Friday's ago, Munchetty was at her best with some whimp from the government, Jenrick, I believe, he was trying to say that the vaccination of the over 80s and care homes was a 'target' that they were hoping to meet by the end of January, but she goaded and goaded him into 'guaranteeing' that this would be achieved. What a ridiculous question and an even more whimpish surrender and promise to make.

How on earth could he guarantee that individual, computer, supply, weather, etc, flip ups won't prevent somebody getting a jab? I'm all for holding to account, but this government baiting and entrapment is neither required nor desired.

As I've stated, despite the overwhelming 'success' of the vaccine rollout, I'm sure BBC breakfast will not let me down on Tuesday morning in criticising the government's broken guarantee.
    That's not the only news I watch but I completely agree with your assessment, the interviewers (all, but Muncetty leads from the front) just keep asking the same impossible to answer question in the hope that once a week some week minister will offer an unguarded answer - and if not, the headline throughout the day is 'minister refuses to commit on...' Is also noticeable that the representatives of the devolved administrations and opposition representatives get a way easier ride. To his credit, Charlie Stayt did in fact press Angela Rayner on her idiotic responses on vaccine priorities last week but its a rarety

....and at 598,000 vaccines administered IN ONE DAY (yesterday) I think I'll go out thursday 8pm and clap the shockers even if no-one else does. My only worry now is that its getting so impressive Michael Ball might bandwagon-jump his way into singing a song about it
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 31-01-2021 at 04:37 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    ....and at 598,000 vaccines administered IN ONE DAY (yesterday) I think I'll go out thursday 8pm and clap the shockers even if no-one else does. My only worry now is that its getting so impressive Michael Ball might bandwagon-jump his way into singing a song about it
    According to Sky, it was 609,010 in one day, which equates to over 4 million per week. Our capacity is there, it's just a matter if the suppliers can keep pace.

Page 103 of 299 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)