+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 178 of 299 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast
Results 1,771 to 1,780 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Our latest weekly figures were released this afternoon....... hospital admissions 30% down on the previous week. Looking good.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Of course you’re right about the hospital admissions/death rate aspect...but, worst case scenario, if the AZ vaccine - which is the one most people here have had - only provides such relatively limited protection, and the Indian (or other) variants take off then we may be on the way back to square one. Hope not...but better (any even) Government communication and direction would help.
    individual compliance continues to be the key and there continues to be individuals and groups who just don't get it. When I called in at the local corner shop yesterday there was an abandoned full trolley left, apparently, by what GP has in the past described as a 'shorts in winter' sort who had been shopping there maskless because Asda wouldn't let him in, On this occasion he came up against the shop owner not a random operative and she wouldn't serve him. Just an anecdote...

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    individual compliance contintues to be the key and there continues to be individuals and groups who just don't get it. When I called in at the local corner shop yesterday there was an abandoned full trolley left, apparently, by what GP has in the past described as a 'shorts in winter' sort who had been shopping there maskless because Asda wouldn't let him in, On this occasion he came up against the shop owner not a random operative and she wouldn't serve him. Just an anecdote...
    I’m not disagreeing, Andy...`individual compliance’ is essential and selfish idiocy is the enemy...but the point is people need to be fully aware of what the dangers are in order to comply and at the moment, in certain areas - both geographical and legislative - the Government is doing a very poor job of raising that awareness.

A second anecdote...my first live music event - planned for the end of next month - has had to be postponed. Can’t be helped...maybe one day we’ll make it back to gigs and the theatre.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 26-05-2021 at 08:15 AM.

I had a "chat" with a 20 something in my local supermarket. The bread rolls/cobs/buns/caal em what ya will are in a perspex cabinet and there are tongs there to allow you to get the rolls out. There is a notice saying the use of tongs is compulsory. Laddo plucjed them out with his hands. He was also maskless. I asked him, quite clamly, to use the tongs. I never mentioned the mask..... He went off on one getting verbally abusive. I should tend to my own business, this Covid malarkey is all a load of bollux and I was, in his opinion a bloody idiot. I remained calm and said, roughly translated, so, you're one of those anti Covid extremists? Your choice and you're welcome to your opinion and to follow that through.... until it impacts on others. In this case, the tongs are NOT a Covid measure. This supermarket has had them in compulsory use for over 10 years. The reason being to stop you transferring bacteria onto the merchandise which might give someone food poisoning. I would greatly appreciate it if you would use the tongs in future to help protect fellow villagers from possible food poisoning......... he wandered off, still muttering under his breath. I wonder if he'll use the tongs in future?

With the Euros round the corner and Dutch people likely to be allowed more freedom from mid-June there has been a rise in people looking forward to watching the games in jampacked bars or in jam packed squares with huge screens. The government got a pre-emptive strike in saying that, although people are likely, considering the way the stats are improving, to be allowed back inside bars and restaurants, that social distancing will still be in force and that they don't want huge gatherings to watch the games.

Not nice to hear but, IMO, most definitely sensible.

Dominic Cummings, ‘the whistleblower who forgot to blow the whistle’. Lol.

Is this anything more than one proven liar trying to discredit another proven liar or should we be taking more notice? Some of what he says certainly seems to make sense...but it is Cummings.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Dominic Cummings, ‘the whistleblower who forgot to blow the whistle’. Lol.

Is this anything more than one proven liar trying to discredit another proven liar or should we be taking more notice? Some of what he says certainly seems to make sense...but it is Cummings.
    I wondered how you were going to play this one rA! IMO your description of the players in this is in the right ball park if a bit harsh, my take is liar a (boris and through him hmg) are still in a position to do good for the country whereas liar b Cummings isn’t, so if I was in the jury on this I’d side with liar a every time. Plus, sorry to say, most people aren’t really interested, outside the Westminster and media bubbles.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I wondered how you were going to play this one rA! IMO your description of the players in this is in the right ball park if a bit harsh, my take is liar a (boris and through him hmg) are still in a position to do good for the country whereas liar b Cummings isn’t, so if I was in the jury on this I’d side with liar a every time. Plus, sorry to say, most people aren’t really interested, outside the Westminster and media bubbles.
    Not sure about your description of how I’ll ‘play this one’, AF. I’m just observing and totally ‘on topic’.

The biggest indictment of our society/system from this morning was Cummings describing how dreadful it was that the choice of leader of this country came down to Corbyn v Johnson and how ridiculous it was that someone such as he (Cummings) progressed to the governmental position he did.

The second and third biggest are you suggesting most people aren’t interested...they need to be, and you...a decent man and a practicing Christian...suggesting you’ll settle for siding with ‘liar a’ because they, at least, are in power. A disturbing response, AF.

I think liar A is undoubtedly the more dangerous of the two BECAUSE he is still in a position of power and therefore able to continue to fill cronies' pockets with Covid billions for PPE and test/trace etc and, of course, people like Grayling who can get their hands on Brexit millions and fail just as much as the PPE cronies did.

HMG got the financial about right and have tweaked it where necessary since and that has been a success although there are many who need assistance who are outside of the parameters.

HMG got a 2nd decision right, keeping out of the vaccine rollout.

The rest of their policies/actions have been poor to less than average and maybe even only borderline legal/morally acceptable in others.

Maybe they both need long and hard questioning by the SAS to find out the real truth. I, for one, would not object. Both men appear adept at being economical with the truth when it suits them and also at not answering the question asked.

Remember..... face, hands, slap.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I think liar A is undoubtedly the more dangerous of the two BECAUSE he is still in a position of power and therefore able to continue to fill cronies' pockets with Covid billions for PPE and test/trace etc and, of course, people like Grayling who can get their hands on Brexit millions and fail just as much as the PPE cronies did.

HMG got the financial about right and have tweaked it where necessary since and that has been a success although there are many who need assistance who are outside of the parameters.

HMG got a 2nd decision right, keeping out of the vaccine rollout.

The rest of their policies/actions have been poor to less than average and maybe even only borderline legal/morally acceptable in others.

Maybe they both need long and hard questioning by the SAS to find out the real truth. I, for one, would not object. Both men appear adept at being economical with the truth when it suits them and also at not answering the question asked.

Remember..... face, hands, slap.
    Aye...and both are lacking in the honesty and integrity departments. Cummings has been fired while Johnson is our national leader which leads me to agree completely with your opening paragraph, MA.

Sorry AF, but you’re horribly wrong on this one. When there’s a bad apple at the top then that example just filters down and places us on the road to ruin.

Page 178 of 299 FirstFirst ... 78128168176177178179180188228278 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)