+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 183 of 299 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast
Results 1,821 to 1,830 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    but surely UEFA could have shown a little more common sense.

I love your human side sometimes RA,
    Yeah, I know...it’s a lot to ask and I should have known better.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Yeah, I know...it’s a lot to ask and I should have known better.
    It's your nature. It won't save you one day.

There’s a lot of ‘damned if you do, damned if you don’t’ about at the moment AF, but this seemed particularly stupid. I’m sure we could have all functioned with the ‘world’s press’ commenting via TV coverage. The (entirely predictable) result now is, at the very least, thousands of fans having to self isolate.
    Credit to HMG if, as you say, they weren’t willing to accept the risk of the world’s press entering the country but surely UEFA could have shown a little more common sense.
    Blinded by € signs I would guess

Just watched Blair being interviewed on Marr. Spoke more common sense about Covid/Vaccinations in ten minutes than I’ve heard from any other current politician in the last twelve months.
    Such a tragedy he became so ‘economical with the truth’ over Iraq two decades ago. Can’t help thinking he’s the leader we need in the current crisis.

Steady Tricky...don’t choke on your cornflakes.

Just watched Blair being interviewed on Marr. Spoke more common sense about Covid/Vaccinations in ten minutes than I’ve heard from any other current politician in the last twelve months.
    Such a tragedy he became so ‘economical with the truth’ over Iraq two decades ago. Can’t help thinking he’s the leader we need in the current crisis.

Steady Tricky...don’t choke on your cornflakes.
    News for you rA, I was just about to comment exactly the same. Despite voting him in three times back in the day I think he's since turned into a broadly irrelevant old whinger since he lost office, but today's rattle with The BBC's flagship Virtue Signaller Andrew Marr was pretty spot-on, although my focus may have been a bit different to yours.

I have welcomed two late-middle-age London dwelling ladies to my place in the last two weeks, both 'BAME' (and both haters of that phrase, as used by Marr, one being Indian in origin, one Bermudan, how can you cover that with a coverall acronym?). They both feel strongly about a number of current issues BEING IN THE MIDST OF THEM as opposed to you and I looking from afar, and one of them is that the vaccine-aversion of their respctive races/cultures is entirely NOT a 'racism' issue as suggested by Marr, but (I'm quoting one of my friends, not Blair, but this was his thrust) 'their own bloody fault'.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    News for you rA, I was just about to comment exactly the same. Despite voting him in three times back in the day I think he's since turned into a broadly irrelevant old whinger since he lost office, but today's rattle with The BBC's flagship Virtue Signaller Andrew Marr was pretty spot-on, although my focus may have been a bit different to yours.

I have welcomed two late-middle-age London dwelling ladies to my place in the last two weeks, both 'BAME' (and both haters of that phrase, as used by Marr, one being Indian in origin, one Bermudan, how can you cover that with a coverall acronym?). They both feel strongly about a number of current issues BEING IN THE MIDST OF THEM as opposed to you and I looking from afar, and one of them is that the vaccine-aversion of their respctive races/cultures is entirely NOT a 'racism' issue as suggested by Marr, but (I'm quoting one of my friends, not Blair, but this was his thrust) 'their own bloody fault'.
    Not sure Marr is a ‘virtue signaller’, AF. To me he tries to be all things to all men but just ends up being largely irrelevant to most and the sooner he’s replaced the better.

We are all ‘in the midst’ of the issue these days but where Marr was wrong, imo, was to immediately jump on the ‘discrimination’ bandwagon with what Blair was suggesting.
    Perhaps it is ‘discriminatory’ to suggest that those who’ve had both jabs should be provided/rewarded with greater freedoms...but, in the main, it’s ‘discrimination’ against selfishness and stupidity...not race.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 06-06-2021 at 11:52 AM.

Not sure Marr is a ‘virtue signaller’, AF. To me he tries to be all things to all men but just ends up being largely irrelevant to most and the sooner he’s replaced the better.

We are all ‘in the midst’ of the issue these days but where Marr was wrong, imo, was to immediately jump on the ‘discrimination’ bandwagon with what Blair was suggesting.
    Perhaps it is ‘discriminatory’ to suggest that those who’ve had both jabs should be provided/rewarded with greater freedoms...but, in the main, it’s ‘discrimination’ against selfishness and stupidity...not race.
    yes correct, ignorance has no colour IMO, but Marr was trying to make it so. Its as if the previously trusted ports of call in the broadcast media have been told they HAVE to find a race angle, thankfully Blair found a well-elocuted response to that

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

Except you didn't vote him in unless you lived in his constituency, seeing as we don't have a presidential election system in this country.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Except you didn't vote him in unless you lived in his constituency, seeing as we don't have a presidential election system in this country.
    Grey area here, IMO. Voting him in as an MP was, indeed done by those who voted Labour in the Sedgefield constituency. Being voted in as PM was also down to all of those whose votes helped return all the other Labout MPs which gave the party a majority and, therefore, installed Blair as PM.

Far Brit for me to be controversial but I think hmg have got this one wrong. It sets a precedent for further lockdowns (forever). Also a couple of the slides were rubbish

Page 183 of 299 FirstFirst ... 83133173181182183184185193233283 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)