+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 192 of 299 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast
Results 1,911 to 1,920 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Don’t recall suggesting I was ‘pleased’, GP. There are all sorts of issues in Batley, including silly complexities such as a fundamentalist inclined religious element objecting to a gay Labour candidate and and arrogant, attention seeking GG playing everyone off in his own inimitable way in the hope of personal betterment. So...I actually am quite glad that things went Labour’s way...long, long way to go, but at least Batley and Spen went better for Labour than Chesham and Amersham did for Johnson a couple of weeks ago.

Now...about the ‘Government’s handling of Covid’.............
    Dont try to steer the thread back on topic when you steered it off in the first place !!!

Incidentally I agree Chesham & Amersham was a dreadful result for the conservatives, and a stunning success for the Libdems. But did you see the labour collapse there too? 622 votes - down from over 7,000 at the general election and less than half that of the greens. Was this tactical voting, or just rejection of policies?

Its one thing to gloat at the conservative loss of a seat, but the primary opposition party was humiliated too. What we are seeing consistently is the collapse of the labour vote, with mixed results for the conservatives and the libdems. Unless this changes soon, the prospect of conservatives losing next time round look bleak - which it might surprise you worries me as much as it appalls you. Any political party in power over 10 years becomes useless
    Last edited by Geoff Parkstone; 02-07-2021 at 05:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Dont try to steer the thread back on topic when you steered it off in the first place !!!

Incidentally I agree Chesham & Amersham was a dreadful result for the conservatives, and a stunning success for the Libdems. But did you see the labour collapse there too? 622 votes - down from over 7,000 at the general election and less than half that of the greens. Was this tactical voting, or just rejection of policies?

Its one thing to gloat at the conservative loss of a seat, but the primary opposition party was humiliated too. What we are seeing consistently is the collapse of the labour vote, with mixed results for the conservatives and the libdems. Unless this changes soon, the prospect of conservatives losing next time round look bleak - which it might surprise you worries me as much as it appalls you. Any political party in power over 10 years becomes useless
    I did? When, ‘in the first place’ did I do that then?

Was I ‘gloating’? Just reacting to your own thoughts on Labour in Batley I’d have thought.

Obviously I agree about this Government being ‘useless’...worse than that in fact. In some ways though it doesn’t seem like the ‘same political party in power over ten years’. Yes the last ten years have witnessed Tory rule...but the shift to the ‘right’ from Cameron to Johnson via May has been spectacular...and the Party almost unrecognisable.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-07-2021 at 06:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post

Well you can kind of point the finger at that utter **** Galloway who spews a lot of crap which it seems 8,000 people thought was worth voting for!

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    ... and now Priti Patel has been found to have been wanting on 3 occasions with regard to upholding the Law.
    Lets just leave it as Patel has been found wanting!!

Worst news of the week............ she's been found

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Well you can kind of point the finger at that utter **** Galloway who spews a lot of crap which it seems 8,000 people thought was worth voting for!
    Those 8000 were from the Muslim community, who thought voting for Galloway was more important than local issues. Why ? Well it seems Palestine has priority with voting preferences now ffs.
    God help us all, whoever you believe in

Getting back to the question of the Government’s handling of Covid. Can’t help feeling that everything about ‘Freedom Day’ this coming Monday is absolute nonsense. The Welsh and Sadiq Khan seem, imo, to have got it right, while Johnson’s and Javid’s stubborn refusal to acknowledge the scientific evidence and carry on regardless, happily abdicating responsibility along the way, will just see us back in lockdown by the autumn if not sooner. Hope I’m wrong...suspect I won’t be.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Those 8000 were from the Muslim community, who thought voting for Galloway was more important than local issues. Why ? Well it seems Palestine has priority with voting preferences now ffs.
    God help us all, whoever you believe in
    Had to read this and for once it was sensible - it seems the majority were, though I suspect there were many on the left who just wanted to register a protest vote in a meaningless byelection. Sometimes the far left (who I equate in attitude to those on the far right) don't really want to be in power as they would then have to do something, as against moaning all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Getting back to the question of the Government’s handling of Covid. Can’t help feeling that everything about ‘Freedom Day’ this coming Monday is absolute nonsense. The Welsh and Sadiq Khan seem, imo, to have got it right, while Johnson’s and Javid’s stubborn refusal to acknowledge the scientific evidence and carry on regardless, happily abdicating responsibility along the way, will just see us back in lockdown by the autumn if not sooner. Hope I’m wrong...suspect I won’t be.
    I think thats too pessimistic a view, given the progress of the Uk's vaccination programme. But a more cautious approach on masks etc. would seem to be a sensible approach. One of the funniest thing on a news programme was a morbidly obese woman from Hull who has now caught Covid-19 and was saying "I wish I hadn't ignored the request to get vaccinated now", mm I thought but do you regret voting for Brexit?

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    I think thats too pessimistic a view, given the progress of the Uk's vaccination programme. But a more cautious approach on masks etc. would seem to be a sensible approach. One of the funniest thing on a news programme was a morbidly obese woman from Hull who has now caught Covid-19 and was saying "I wish I hadn't ignored the request to get vaccinated now", mm I thought but do you regret voting for Brexit?
    Hope you’re right, Swale. It’s the ‘more cautious approach on masks etc’ aspect that I’m largely referring to. This is where the Welsh and Sadiq Khan are right and the Government wrong, imo. There should be no ‘grey areas’ where, for instance, shopping centres and public transport are concerned and those that work and use such environments deserve the legal backing of government legislation.
    Unfortunately we can all easily envisage scenarios whereby the usual selfish morons will turn round to those upholding any ‘no mask...no entry’ policy and say ‘but Boris says it’s up to me!’

Page 192 of 299 FirstFirst ... 92142182190191192193194202242292 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)