+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 232 of 299 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast
Results 2,311 to 2,320 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    MA any sane person would know that Covid isn't a scam, has it been handled well by most governments? I would say not.

I'm surprised you even mentioned the conspiracy theories tbh, whilst undoubtedly Covid has and will be used for political ends, as per usual the conspiracy theories are just utter *******s.
    Tbf, Swale, the conspiracy theorists seem to have brought about a whole new level of disruption to MA’s adopted home of the Netherlands and Rotterdam in particular. If we’d had major riots, rather than a few nutters (imo), causing such trouble in British cities then it would probably have been a ‘hot topic’ on here and elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbf, Swale, the conspiracy theorists seem to have brought about a whole new level of disruption to MA’s adopted home of the Netherlands and Rotterdam in particular. If we’d had major riots, rather than a few nutters (imo), causing such trouble in British cities then it would probably have been a ‘hot topic’ on here and elsewhere.
    I don't think its the conspiracy theorists as much as people who are simply stupid, and we have just as many in the Uk, just not given generally to rioting!

Yep...we certainly have more than our fair share of ‘stupids’...the last few years have proved that. Whoever was behind the Rotterdam riots however...it has to be a concern for those who live there.

Not making light of it, but in the round its a minority of the population, though I see that our very own sage Neil Oliver has turned from being a historian to a GB News "commentator" and has been doing some rabble rousing!

Not making light of it, but in the round its a minority of the population, though I see that our very own sage Neil Oliver has turned from being a historian to a GB News "commentator" and has been doing some rabble rousing!
    He went down - possibly disappeared - in my estimation when he described lockdown as the ‘single biggest mistake in world history’.

Idjit!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 22-11-2021 at 10:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

On another slant, there are still many who believe Covid doesn't exist and it's all a scam. Tell that to the >6000 UK residents admitted to hospital yesterday with a virus/disease that "doesn't exist".
    I've written here before about a friend of mine who emigrated to Italy to be with his Italian wife. He recently moved from the deep South to a village near Trieste, for his wife to be closer to her covid-denier family. The whole family went on a peaceful anti-vax/covid denial/Anti mask march a couple of weeks ago. ALL EIGHT who went on the march have since caught Covid, one is in hospital in Slovenia. Amazingly, my friend says the family narrative is STILL broadly Covid-denial...

Now it appears that whilst the Pm was banning Christmas gatherings last December and one of his ministers the not so Priti patel was urging the police to fine any of those who broke the instruction, the PM and fellow MP's, officials etc. enjoyed a number of Christmas parties including one at No 10.

Apparently the Met Police say they can't investigate unless a formal complaint is made, and now they have received several! I'm sure they will on seeing the evidence levy the £10,000 fine that goes with breaking the rules after all in Brexit Britain nobody is above the law and as we ahve seen those in charge like to set a good example to the voters!!

Now it appears that whilst the Pm was banning Christmas gatherings last December and one of his ministers the not so Priti patel was urging the police to fine any of those who broke the instruction, the PM and fellow MP's, officials etc. enjoyed a number of Christmas parties including one at No 10.

Apparently the Met Police say they can't investigate unless a formal complaint is made, and now they have received several! I'm sure they will on seeing the evidence levy the £10,000 fine that goes with breaking the rules after all in Brexit Britain nobody is above the law and as we ahve seen those in charge like to set a good example to the voters!!
    Lol...of course they do! Unfortunately Swale it has become the ‘fashion’ on here for some to dismiss such observations from the likes of you and I as just the rants of a couple of ‘anti Government lefties’.

It isn’t true of course, but it provides convenient ‘camouflage’ for those who wish to turn a blind eye to the staggering levels of hypocrisy and incompetence that are becoming increasingly evident every day.

The Government - or the NHS and certain local individuals at least - did a very good job of rolling out the initial vaccines and all credit to them for that. Beyond that the levels of muddled thought, complacency and dishonesty have been beyond astonishing...but then we’re just two ageing ‘lefties’ telling uncomfortable truths and it’s much easier to curl up under the duvet of complacency and pretend that Good King Boris is the saviour rather than the living embodiment of the ‘Emperor’s new clothes’.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Lol...of course they do! Unfortunately Swale it has become the ‘fashion’ on here for some to dismiss such observations from the likes of you and I as just the rants of a couple of ‘anti Government lefties’.

It isn’t true of course, but it provides convenient ‘camouflage’ for those who wish to turn a blind eye to the staggering levels of hypocrisy and incompetence that are becoming increasingly evident every day.

The Government - or the NHS and certain local individuals at least - did a very good job of rolling out the initial vaccines and all credit to them for that. Beyond that the levels of muddled thought, complacency and dishonesty have been beyond astonishing...but then we’re just two ageing ‘lefties’ telling uncomfortable truths and it’s much easier to curl up under the duvet of complacency and pretend that Good King Boris is the saviour rather than the living embodiment of the ‘Emperor’s new clothes’.
    I think you're allowing yourself to get sucked deeper into a left v right thing than is useful for healthy discussion, and for confusing observation with opinion. You (and Swale when he switches on the insult filter) make valid although boringly repetitive observations (lets say, Boris is a twerp) and others here, me included, broadly agree. Likewise observations about the competence of certain other members of The Executive - again we broadly agree. The problem arises when subsequential observations are made, such as 'Boris' faux pas have little effect on his popularity', 'the executives' incompetence/hypocricy will be lost in the mix', ' etc and are responded to (mainly by your oppo) as if the originators of these observations are unethical, raging redneckswho condone, rather than comment, on such issues. Swale is beyond salvation on the subject of rational debatebut I'm sure you're not

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I think you're allowing yourself to get sucked deeper into a left v right thing than is useful for healthy discussion, and for confusing observation with opinion. You (and Swale when he switches on the insult filter) make valid although boringly repetitive observations (lets say, Boris is a twerp) and others here, me included, broadly agree. Likewise observations about the competence of certain other members of The Executive - again we broadly agree. The problem arises when subsequential observations are made, such as 'Boris' faux pas have little effect on his popularity', 'the executives' incompetence/hypocricy will be lost in the mix', ' etc and are responded to (mainly by your oppo) as if the originators of these observations are unethical, raging redneckswho condone, rather than comment, on such issues. Swale is beyond salvation on the subject of rational debatebut I'm sure you're not
    Sorry Andy, but you’ve just illustrated my point perfectly. Because Swale suggests something your ‘guard’ is already up and you are immediately ‘daggers drawn’.
    So...to clarify...Swale is not my ‘oppo’ and neither am I his. We know nothing about each other beyond what is occasionally divulged on here and have never even exchanged a pm. We just happen to broadly agree on most aspects of politics.
    I won’t comment on his occasional rants because they’re not relevant, but to describe him as ‘beyond salvation on the subject of rational debate’ is just nonsense.
    The topic is ‘The Government’s Handling of Covid’. Swale’s point identified Government hypocrisy in the handling of the pandemic a year ago. A matter which has only recently become apparent. Mine has extended that further and you have acknowledged that you ‘broadly agreed’ about both the leader and the Government.
    There in, imo, lies the problem...you recognise the issue but still choose to direct your fire at the ‘messenger’ rather than the perpetrators.

Page 232 of 299 FirstFirst ... 132182222230231232233234242282 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)