+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 297 of 299 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299 LastLast
Results 2,961 to 2,970 of 2981

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I didnt realise it was time limited. I can edit whenever, a mod perk I guess. When I do it to other posters it always shows the fact on the post. I’ve edited other posters posts about 50 times, mainly to remove defamatory comments. I’ve also been asked to edit posts by posters of those posts a few times but assumed it was a service provider quirk
    You can edit anytime, as a mod yes.
    The rest of us get 5 mins, before the spelling police have us in court,

Just to clear up the admin: I misspelled naïveté so corrected it, hence stating ‘we were both wrong’. I’ve noticed you find it difficult to admit wrong, no doubt from a career where you had the ultimate sanction of detention, lines or worse, but I don’t.

No idea about the time limit on editing and currently no one in charge to ask
    Lol...I ‘find it difficult to admit (being) wrong’. Examples would be nice, although as ever you never provide them and actually praised my ‘honesty’ last night...but duck me...where admitting to being wrong is concerned...talk about ‘the pot calling the kettle’!

So you alone can edit at any time. Interesting...and maybe worth remembering.

Examples of you admitting to be wrong are as rare as hens teeth, rA, so Andy would have a massive task to find one!

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Examples of you admitting to be wrong are as rare as hens teeth, rA, so Andy would have a massive task to find one!
    Lol...as indeed are examples of you ever admitting to being at fault.
    I’m not sure I’m any worse than anyone else at believing in the validity of my opinion...that is after all a bit of a prerequisite for joining a forum, however I do regularly use the abbreviation ‘imo’, I do regularly accept that both you and Swale know more about economics than I do and my point was that I’d be interested to be provided with examples of me being more dogmatic than anyone else...particularly AF and yourself who are two of the most self opinionated individuals I’ve ever come across.

Still...naive, idealistic, dogmatic...keep it coming...but if the two of you could offer some substantiation it’d be useful and it’s interesting that, lost in all this, was AF’s original unprovoked and again unsubstantiated assertion that both MA and I are guilty of naivety. Maybe the two of you could explain how that is the case.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

Still...naive, idealistic, dogmatic...keep it coming...but if the two of you could offer some substantiation it’d be useful and it’s interesting that, lost in all this, was AF’s original unprovoked and again unsubstantiated assertion that both MA and I are guilty of naivety. Maybe the two of you could explain how that is the case.
    It was provoked, it was provoked by MA being naive. I actually agree with MA’s sentiment but his total post isn’t well thought through

It was provoked, it was provoked by MA being naive. I actually agree with MA’s sentiment but his total post isn’t well thought through
    He said...dogmatically...in line, as ever, with the gospel according to St. Andy...either way, why drag me into it?

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    He said...dogmatically...in line, as ever, with the gospel according to St. Andy...either way, why drag me into it?
    That not dogma, you clearly don’t get that either. It’s just an opinion. But if you want a discussion, let’s look at what MA said:

‘If an employer doesn't pay a PROPER wage from which an employee can afford to house, clothe and feed a family (partner and 2 kids) and also be able to afford a few "luxuries" like a holiday, a car..... that "person" is NOT an employer, they are a modern day slave driver.’

‘Employer’. That presumably includes the cafe owner in a local village who employs a cook and a waiter on a bit above minimum wage who have a three month notice period and can go home by car dead on time (and do) to a nice home where their well paid husbands are deciding on a second family holiday in Turkey or Israel (which they’ve now booked). Meanwhile the cafe owner and his wife work 6am til 7pm six days a week and some Sundays, haven’t taken a holiday for a number of years and (I’m guessing) are holding off on having a family due to the knife edge economics of their business. I THINK they hate their business and one of the reasons they carry on is because they don’t want to let down their staff.

I know this because I compiled their accounts for the last two years

There’s MA’s ‘modern day slave driver’

I think the guy who runs the small publishing house that publishes my magazine is in a similar situation although I don’t know the numbers side. I do know it’s making him ill. I’m guessing there are thousands of small medium business owners in a similar situation

So yes MA is being naive

I had indeed overlooked "subsistence" businesses. My comments are, IMO, still valid for the mass of employers. Look today at the rail companies. Locked in a dispute with their staff over pay rates for all the lower paid staff. Basically, the drivers are on a good screw but the resy of the staff aren't. They want a decent rise. The PRIVATE owners are wanting to get them to work more night shifts, more weekends and reduce the premium rates for doing so. They want to reduce the amount of safety checking which is likely to result in less safe travel. There are whispers that these PRIVATE companies want to negotiate but HMG are telling them they can't. What the hell has this got to do with HMG. Weird that HMG didn't stop them paying hundreds of millions in dividends..... or is it?

Same with Royal Mail, who claim to be losing money hand over fist. They were, however, able to pay some £400M in dividends last year to their owners/shareholders. Now they are pleading poverty. That is simply poor management who now wish to remedy matters by minimising RM's postal services, sack 10K employees and then rehire them to their new parcel led, gig economy, self employed company on 20% less pay.

There's my modern day slave driver. They need rooting out and sorting out.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    I had indeed overlooked "subsistence" businesses. My comments are, IMO, still valid for the mass of employers. Look today at the rail companies. Locked in a dispute with their staff over pay rates for all the lower paid staff. Basically, the drivers are on a good screw but the resy of the staff aren't. They want a decent rise. The PRIVATE owners are wanting to get them to work more night shifts, more weekends and reduce the premium rates for doing so. They want to reduce the amount of safety checking which is likely to result in less safe travel. There are whispers that these PRIVATE companies want to negotiate but HMG are telling them they can't. What the hell has this got to do with HMG. Weird that HMG didn't stop them paying hundreds of millions in dividends..... or is it?

Same with Royal Mail, who claim to be losing money hand over fist. They were, however, able to pay some £400M in dividends last year to their owners/shareholders. Now they are pleading poverty. That is simply poor management who now wish to remedy matters by minimising RM's postal services, sack 10K employees and then rehire them to their new parcel led, gig economy, self employed company on 20% less pay.

There's my modern day slave driver. They need rooting out and sorting out.
    After which clarification we are closer to agreement, thanks

That not dogma, you clearly don’t get that either. It’s just an opinion. But if you want a discussion, let’s look at what MA said:

‘If an employer doesn't pay a PROPER wage from which an employee can afford to house, clothe and feed a family (partner and 2 kids) and also be able to afford a few "luxuries" like a holiday, a car..... that "person" is NOT an employer, they are a modern day slave driver.’

‘Employer’. That presumably includes the cafe owner in a local village who employs a cook and a waiter on a bit above minimum wage who have a three month notice period and can go home by car dead on time (and do) to a nice home where their well paid husbands are deciding on a second family holiday in Turkey or Israel (which they’ve now booked). Meanwhile the cafe owner and his wife work 6am til 7pm six days a week and some Sundays, haven’t taken a holiday for a number of years and (I’m guessing) are holding off on having a family due to the knife edge economics of their business. I THINK they hate their business and one of the reasons they carry on is because they don’t want to let down their staff.

I know this because I compiled their accounts for the last two years

There’s MA’s ‘modern day slave driver’

I think the guy who runs the small publishing house that publishes my magazine is in a similar situation although I don’t know the numbers side. I do know it’s making him ill. I’m guessing there are thousands of small medium business owners in a similar situation

So yes MA is being naive
    Being dogmatic is putting forward your opinion as being undeniably true...something you regularly do but now accuse me of doing.

As regards MA...I think most people recognised the context he was describing and it had nothing to do with one man cafe/publishing businesses and second home owners. He was talking in far more general terms but you simply dogmatically dismissed him as naive and then, when asked to justify yourself eventually came up with the aforementioned ‘extremes’ which no one could sensible disagree with.

That though is your argument with MA and I’m sure he is more than capable of sticking up for himself.

At the same time, and this was the ‘unprovoked’ bit, you attempted to make me the ‘benchmark’ for naivety (however you wish to spell it) on the forum. I’d really like to know how you’ve reached that conclusion. It’s easy to accuse, rather harder to justify accusations.

You then proceeded, aided and abetted by GP, to accuse me of being dogmatic - being unable to accept being wrong - which again coming from the two of you really is laughable.

It’s a funny old place the forum at the moment. If I speak in favour of MA you rather childishly talk of me defending my ‘allies’. If I support Swale’s views you and GP will accuse me of being his ‘mate’ or ‘rear gunner’ and yet it’s never the same when the boot is on the other foot with you, GP and TTR is it? Strange that.

I can’t keep up with your mood swings Andy...one minute you’re praising my honesty, the next you’re attacking me...one moment you’re speaking generously about my choice of occupation (vocation in your words) and the next you’re attempting (unsuccessfully) to take the p*ss out of me being a retired teacher. Personally I take less and less notice of what you write because you seldom substantiate anything and speak increasingly with all the consistency of a Government policy maker.

Sorry...forgot...all imo!
    Last edited by ramAnag; 20-10-2022 at 09:08 AM.

Page 297 of 299 FirstFirst ... 197247287295296297298299 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)