+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 84 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Tbh, no. I think you’re nitpicking...and I’m still puzzled by the phrase ‘apologist wing of the forum’.

If there is such a thing I’ve only seen any evidence of it springing into life to defend the enormously discredited and now former (yes it feels great to say that) President Trump.
    RA, maybe you should Google 'Trump Chinese Virus' and see there universal condemnation he received about it being racist, causing attacks on Chinese people, etc, etc. Even WHO condemned his use of the words.

At least Trump was correct that the virus originated in China. There's no evidence that the British identified strain originated in Britain.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    RA, maybe you should Google 'Trump Chinese Virus' and see there universal condemnation he received about it being racist, causing attacks on Chinese people, etc, etc. Even WHO condemned his use of the words.

At least Trump was correct that the virus originated in China. There's no evidence that the British identified strain originated in Britain.
    Yep Chinese virus deemed "racist"

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-a9505881.html

And the Chinese certainly don't like it.

https://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1182874.shtml

C’mon Ram...we often disagree but you’re not usually this perverse.

By the 13th December there had been 1108 cases of the new variant/mutant discovered in the UK.
    It extended across 60 UK Local Authorities but was most concentrated in Kent and the South East of England.

Nick Loman, Professor of Microbial Genomics and Bioinformation at the University of Birmingham said ‘there is no data to suggest the virus had been brought in from abroad and that it is likely to have evolved in the UK’.

Hence the ‘British virus/variant/mutation’. Viruses mutate...that’s often what they do. We need to identify the variants, it’s nothing for you to get hung up about, but how much ‘evidence’ do you want? I don’t hear the Danes/Germans/Brazilians or South Africans obsessing about it.

By the 13th December there had been 1108 cases of the new variant/mutant discovered in the UK.
    It extended across 60 UK Local Authorities but was most concentrated in Kent and the South East of England.

Nick Loman, Professor of Microbial Genomics and Bioinformation at the University of Birmingham said ‘there is no data to suggest the virus had been brought in from abroad and that it is likely to have evolved in the UK’.

Hence the ‘British virus/variant/mutation’. Viruses mutate...that’s often what they do. We need to identify the variants, it’s nothing for you to get hung up about, but how much ‘evidence’ do you want? I don’t hear the Danes/Germans/Brazilians or South Africans obsessing about it.
    Steady on there rA. Folk have a right to be offended by something about as logical as it's possible to be.........

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Steady on there rA. Folk have a right to be offended by something about as logical as it's possible to be.........
    Apparently so.

It's interesting that you agree with Trump's description of it being the 'Chinese Virus' then?

It's interesting that you agree with Trump's description of it being the 'Chinese Virus' then?
    I do think you ahve to look at the context in which Trump made that remark! he wasn't using it as a way of denigrating the Chinese, including his flippant and sneering use of "Kung Flu".

Quite why we are worrying about what a failed, lying extreme right agitator did or did not say I'm not sure. The guy is irrelevant given that so much of what he said was false.
    Anyway I'm glad we now ahve a travel ban and closed borders, only 10 months and 100,000 plus deaths too late but hey proves this Government can eventually learn lessons!

New measures in NL proposed yesterday.

Flights from South America, South Africa and the UK banned from Saturday to keep the various variants at Bay.

Just 1 visitor to your home per day.

Those two are happening. They added a 3rd which will be debated in Parliament today. That is a curfew from 20:30 to 04:30 every day.

All down to the surge in "British variant" cases

Honestly Ram...how many times?

Trump referred to the ‘China Virus’...when, and in a way, that was completely unnecessary. There was, at the time, just the one virus and he was, imo, attempting to deflect from his own inadequacies and his other ludicrous statements such as, it’ll all be over by (last) Easter and what about injecting disinfectant to get rid of it.

There are now more variants and they have to be referred to as a means of identification. That happens all the time. Merkel referred to the ‘British Virus’ and you went off on one about it when there was just no need.

Even over 100 years on we still refer to the last pandemic as the ‘Spanish Flu’, even though it actually started, I believe, in Kansas. Having been denied elsewhere in the World it took a hold and a terrible toll in Spain, hence the name, but I don’t hear the Spanish complaining.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 21-01-2021 at 11:38 AM.

Honestly Ram...how many times?

Trump referred to the ‘China Virus’...when, and in a way, that was completely unnecessary. There was, at the time, just the one virus and he was, imo, attempting to deflect from his own inadequacies and his other ludicrous statements such as, it’ll all be over by (last) Easter and what about injecting disinfectant to get rid of it.

There are now more variants and they have to be referred to as a means of identification. That happens all the time. Merkel referred to the ‘British Virus’ and you went off on one about it when there was just no need.

Even over 100 years on we still refer to the last pandemic as the ‘Spanish Flu’, even though it actually started, I believe, in Kansas. Having been denied elsewhere in the World it took a hold and a terrible toll in Spain, hence the name, but I don’t hear the Spanish complaining.
    Gracias Senor!

By the way I meant Trump used the term Chinese Virus as a way of attacking the Chinese.

Page 84 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3474828384858694134184 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)