+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 88 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

[QUOTE=Ram59;39680044]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Admire your capacity for looking on the bright side, Ram.

Maybe the reason ‘why’, is that your particular ‘amazing stat’ was somewhat overshadowed by other announcements.[/QUOTE

Your defence of the government hating BBC, never ceases to amaze. I shall list some of your more important announcements,

Can Wales meet it's vaccine targets?
    Collapsed wall rail line closed until February.
    Football 'a young man's game' - Edwards
    School return 'unlikely' for all in February
    National League North & South halted
    Edinburgh landmark site goes back on the market.
    Your pictures of Scotland 15-22 January
    Woman led on railway tracks to pose for photo.

Do you really want me to carry on with the other announcements that over shadowed the massive achievement by all involved in the vaccination programme?
    Wait a moment, I've watched the BBC and surprise surprise there is other news than Covid, but I've not noticed that the vaccination programme hasn't been reported on and in a positive way.

Like others on here who seem to swallow the claptrap that the BBC is anti government or has a left wing bias, all the research carried out hasn't shown this to be true, if anything the BBC is too balanced, giving mouthpieces like Farage and Hartley-Brewer too much airtime when they are experts on nothing.

Nor has it been overly critical of the way the government has handled the pandemic and given as its higher management Chairman and Board are overwhelmingly right leaning, with many having indirect or direct links with the Conservatives, it seems if you don't necessarily agree with what they report, which by the way applies to left leaning people as well, then hop on the anti BBC propaganda bandwagon that the Right Wing media - the TImes, Sun, Mail, telegraph and express have been running for years!

I mean take a look at the media in this country, most of it owned by a right wing ex pat Australian who lives in the USA, except when he pops into Oxfordshire for his Covid vaccination - pumping out right wing fake news, now why would the owner of the Times, Sun, talk radio Sky etc have an interest in attacking the BBC and making people think it was biased?

Or are you so quick to believe something that seems to chime with your own thoughts you don't actually think about this?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    A non-party political observation on today's vaccination number, just over 478,000

bl**dy Hell!

I'm a big optimist but I didn't think 'they' would get anywhere near that. 'They' deserve a case of beer (each) for their efforts
    Just as long as the decision to delay the second dose of the vaccination does not backfire on them!

[QUOTE=Ram59;39680433]

If you actually read my post properly, you would see that I said that it was on the 'BBC news UK' website. Then on my answer to your first defence of the BBC, stating that maybe there were more important things to consider, I gave you a list of 'news headlines' which the BBC obviously thought were more important than the vaccine success.

So I gather from your comments that an 'Edinburgh landmark site going back on the market', is a more newsworthy item than the fact that the government is 'currently' on target, with the only action that will free us from this pandemic. IMO, I believe that the success of these vaccines, is the most important thing at the moment, not just for the UK, but the whole world.

I think that you would fail your English 'O' level exam, if you took it again.
    At this moment, 6 lead news articles, 3 of which including the lead article on Covid, the other 3 on important world news. I think your seeing things that exist only in your own mind, rather like those Trump supporters who believe in the absence of any empirical evidence that Trump won!

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Just as long as the decision to delay the second dose of the vaccination does not backfire on them!
    Agreed, and I hope they (they specifically being HMG this time) change their minds. But despite personally being used to transacting massive numbers on a computer, I consider going-on half a million physical actions in a day to be mind-boggling. And the story on the ground appears to be, pump out more vials and we can do even more

[QUOTE=swaledale;39680749]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

At this moment, 6 lead news articles, 3 of which including the lead article on Covid, the other 3 on important world news. I think your seeing things that exist only in your own mind, rather like those Trump supporters who believe in the absence of any empirical evidence that Trump won!
    I noticed the same as Ram yesterday, BBC very much under-reported it compared to other news outlets. To balance things out a bit, they did do a large piece on the subject this am

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Agreed, and I hope they (they specifically being HMG this time) change their minds. But despite personally being used to transacting massive numbers on a computer, I consider going-on half a million physical actions in a day to be mind-boggling. And the story on the ground appears to be, pump out more vials and we can do even more
    Of course the fact that its the NHS and armed forces doing this and it hasn't been outsourced to a company that employs people who don't have a clue might have a bearing on why good progress is being made, now if only they had done the same with track and trace!

[QUOTE=Ram59;39680433]

If you actually read my post properly, you would see that I said that it was on the 'BBC news UK' website. Then on my answer to your first defence of the BBC, stating that maybe there were more important things to consider, I gave you a list of 'news headlines' which the BBC obviously thought were more important than the vaccine success.

So I gather from your comments that an 'Edinburgh landmark site going back on the market', is a more newsworthy item than the fact that the government is 'currently' on target, with the only action that will free us from this pandemic. IMO, I believe that the success of these vaccines, is the most important thing at the moment, not just for the UK, but the whole world.

I think that you would fail your English 'O' level exam, if you took it again.
    Fair point Ram. I did overlook the website factor. Much like school days...I was probably talking at the back and not paying attention.

Having said that my point remains. In the same way as you regularly attack anything that is remotely pro EU you also like to have a go at the BBC and attack anything that is at all critical of the Government.

For the record, I 100% share your hopes as regards the vaccine and I will joyfully concede that so far they would appear to be surpassing expectation.

In the interests of what Andy would call ‘balance’ and on the direct subject of your thread, this has to be set aside our dreadful position in the Covid ‘league tables’, the doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine if the second dose is delayed for too long and the shambolic reaction to the emergence of the ‘British variant’.
    Please remember this variant was identified and had taken hold before mid December. No statement was made about it until the 19th December when it was described as more transmissible but no more serious than the original Wuhan strain.
    Despite the misgivings of all professionals Messrs Johnson and Williamson were still insistent that all schools should open as planned at the beginning of January. It was only the night before that they accepted such a move would be unwise and unsafe and it was only yesterday that the PM conceded that actually it would seem the British and South African strains/variants are likely to have more serious consequences.

So...in direct response to the thread...well done (hopefully) on the vaccines. Heads should roll elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Of course the fact that its the NHS and armed forces doing this and it hasn't been outsourced to a company that employs people who don't have a clue might have a bearing on why good progress is being made, now if only they had done the same with track and trace!
    No argument from me on that one

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39680803]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

Fair point Ram. I did overlook the website factor. Much like school days...I was probably talking at the back and not paying attention.

Having said that my point remains. In the same way as you regularly attack anything that is remotely pro EU you also like to have a go at the BBC and attack anything that is at all critical of the Government.

For the record, I 100% share your hopes as regards the vaccine and I will joyfully concede that so far they would appear to be surpassing expectation.

In the interests of what Andy would call ‘balance’ and on the direct subject of your thread, this has to be set aside our dreadful position in the Covid ‘league tables’, the doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine if the second dose is delayed for too long and the shambolic reaction to the emergence of the ‘British variant’.
    Please remember this variant was identified and had taken hold before mid December. No statement was made about it until the 19th December when it was described as more transmissible but no more serious than the original Wuhan strain.
    Despite the misgivings of all professionals Messrs Johnson and Williamson were still insistent that all schools should open as planned at the beginning of January. It was only the night before that they accepted such a move would be unwise and unsafe and it was only yesterday that the PM conceded that actually it would seem the British and South African strains/variants are likely to have more serious consequences.

So...in direct response to the thread...well done (hopefully) on the vaccines. Heads should roll elsewhere.
    The BBC website doesn't reflect that at the moment, obviously news stories shift from day today and lets face it anyone could have a view on whats important.

The UK variant was first identified in mid September.

Scientists are taking issue with Johnson saying the new strain leads to more deaths, saying there isn't enough data to substantiate this yet.

[QUOTE=swaledale;39680819]

Scientists are taking issue with Johnson saying the new strain leads to more deaths, saying there isn't enough data to substantiate this yet.
    Yes, I saw that. Interesting, and confusing...as is the apparent disappearance of JVT from any of the Covid updates. Seems his combination of relative popularity and honesty may not have gone down too well in certain quarters.

Page 88 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3878868788899098138188 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)