+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 89 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39680803]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

Fair point Ram. I did overlook the website factor. Much like school days...I was probably talking at the back and not paying attention.

Having said that my point remains. In the same way as you regularly attack anything that is remotely pro EU you also like to have a go at the BBC and attack anything that is at all critical of the Government.

For the record, I 100% share your hopes as regards the vaccine and I will joyfully concede that so far they would appear to be surpassing expectation.

In the interests of what Andy would call ‘balance’ and on the direct subject of your thread, this has to be set aside our dreadful position in the Covid ‘league tables’, the doubts about the efficacy of the vaccine if the second dose is delayed for too long and the shambolic reaction to the emergence of the ‘British variant’.
    Please remember this variant was identified and had taken hold before mid December. No statement was made about it until the 19th December when it was described as more transmissible but no more serious than the original Wuhan strain.
    Despite the misgivings of all professionals Messrs Johnson and Williamson were still insistent that all schools should open as planned at the beginning of January. It was only the night before that they accepted such a move would be unwise and unsafe and it was only yesterday that the PM conceded that actually it would seem the British and South African strains/variants are likely to have more serious consequences.

So...in direct response to the thread...well done (hopefully) on the vaccines. Heads should roll elsewhere.
    I accept your apology, if that what is was. I also plead guilty to giving the government support when they are continually subject to unnecessary criticism. God knows, they've done enough wrong to be critical of, without the constant haranguing of ministers. It's just a pity that these weak minded ministers are too pathetic and not strong enough to answer back, maybe they should get Farage to give them some lessons. Agree with him or not, he can look after himself in an interview.

Let's examine the vaccination programme, atm, it seems to be going well, possibly too well. The ramping up of vaccinations is unlikely to be sustained because vaccine production will not be able to keep pace. This will result in the spectacle of fully manned vaccination centres standing idle at some time in the future. But, what does the government do, hold back vaccinations to smooth out the vaccination programme, resulting in unnecessary deaths of people in a months time who have been prevented from having a vaccine today? Or do they go ahead and run the risk of running out of vaccine and wasting time and facilities?

It's Hobson's choice, the chances are the government will get criticised which ever decision they make.

[QUOTE=Ram59;39681058]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

I accept your apology, if that what is was. I also plead guilty to giving the government support when they are continually subject to unnecessary criticism. God knows, they've done enough wrong to be critical of, without the constant haranguing of ministers. It's just a pity that these weak minded ministers are too pathetic and not strong enough to answer back, maybe they should get Farage to give them some lessons. Agree with him or not, he can look after himself in an interview.

Let's examine the vaccination programme, atm, it seems to be going well, possibly too well. The ramping up of vaccinations is unlikely to be sustained because vaccine production will not be able to keep pace. This will result in the spectacle of fully manned vaccination centres standing idle at some time in the future. But, what does the government do, hold back vaccinations to smooth out the vaccination programme, resulting in unnecessary deaths of people in a months time who have been prevented from having a vaccine today? Or do they go ahead and run the risk of running out of vaccine and wasting time and facilities?

It's Hobson's choice, the chances are the government will get criticised which ever decision they make.
    Not by me or anyone with any sense Ram, vaccine production is out of HMGs control, the means to distribute and inject isnt, the feeling I get from listening to countless medical professionals is that they will pump it in as quickly as they can get it.

[QUOTE=Ram59;39681058]
    It's just a pity that these weak minded ministers are too pathetic and not strong enough to answer back, maybe they should get Farage to give them some lessons. Agree with him or not, he can look after himself in an interview.

Lessons from Farage. Really? How have things worked out for him so far? He may be able to ‘look after himself in an interview’, usually via the use of lies, divisiveness and blatant appeals to populism...not so good with elections though is he?
    To use a football analogy his record to date appears to be...P7 W0 D0 L7.

If the Government makes the right decision and stops making repeated ‘U’ turns they may find they earn a great deal less criticism.

[QUOTE=ramAnag;39681164]
    Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post

Lessons from Farage. Really? How have things worked out for him so far? He may be able to ‘look after himself in an interview’, usually via the use of lies, divisiveness and blatant appeals to populism...not so good with elections though is he?
    To use a football analogy his record to date appears to be...P7 W0 D0 L7.

If the Government makes the right decision and stops making repeated ‘U’ turns they may find they earn a great deal less criticism.
    I know you bang on about his election defeats rA but he won the one that mattered, and much as it may hurt most of his influence is through sheer force of personality, both major parties would kill for someone who connects with the people like NF does. Not saying I even like him, just observing.

Those that constantly criticise usually do so because they fear the person is correct and seek to minimise their impact.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Those that constantly criticise usually do so because they fear the person is correct and seek to minimise their impact.
    Lol...is that what you and Corbyn was all about?

Yes, very much so

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Yes, very much so
    You were afraid Corbyn was ‘correct’. Really? Perhaps you fear Swale ‘is correct’ too.

Surely we criticise those we do because we believe they are wrong or inept. That’s certainly the case for me as far as the likes of Farage, Williamson, Johnson and Trump are concerned.

I may ‘fear’ the impact of populists such as Farage and Trump on the World, as I might ‘fear’ the impact of Johnson’s indecisiveness and Williamson's half baked policies on schools, teachers and young people...but such ‘fear’ has never ever arisen from the thought that they might be ‘correct’.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 24-01-2021 at 09:56 AM.

P.S. Andy...Farage and UKIP may have been the initial driving force behind Brexit but he didn’t win ‘the one that mattered’ did he? Indeed, at the height of his popularity - and on ‘home’ territory too - he still couldn’t get close to being elected as an MP.

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39681183]
    Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post

I know you bang on about his election defeats rA but he won the one that mattered, and much as it may hurt most of his influence is through sheer force of personality, both major parties would kill for someone who connects with the people like NF does. Not saying I even like him, just observing.
    I see your acquaintance with the truth is as shaky as ever. Farage didn't actually win any election and he certainly didn't "win" the referendum, the leave side did that and although Farage was a catalyst, HE certainly didn't win it. In fact if any one person can be described as winning the leave debate, that person has to be Johnson, as it is unlikely though not impossible that the vote would have been leave without his backing and prominent leading of the leave campaign and all that whilst not really believing in the cause he was fighting for, remarkable really!

Mind you the Uk is paying the price now and will be for the foreseeable future, unless one is a "blind" Brexiteer of course, then everything is rosy!

Page 89 of 299 FirstFirst ... 3979878889909199139189 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)