+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 92 of 299 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post

If I were negotiating I'd take the approach The EU did with UK - 'so you want to be an independent nation do you? well cop for these conditions tich'...
    Hmmm...interesting observation from someone who repeatedly defended - without ever ‘supporting’ - Brexit... absolutely accurate too. Wish you’d recognised that all along.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Hmmm...interesting observation from someone who repeatedly defended - without ever ‘supporting’ - Brexit... absolutely accurate too. Wish you’d recognised that all along.
    We seem to be all loved up on here today so don't ignite all that again!

We seem to be all loved up on here today so don't ignite all that again!
    I’m not really trying to ‘ignite’ anything. It’s just interesting that it’s taken till now for you to concede that ‘Brexit’ - i.e. going it alone - is likely to put us in, in your own words, the position of ‘tich’...a bit player rather than a major player.

I’m not really trying to ‘ignite’ anything. It’s just interesting that it’s taken till now for you to concede that ‘Brexit’ - i.e. going it alone - is likely to put us in, in your own words, the position of ‘tich’...a bit player rather than a major player.
    Not meaning that at all rA, just reflecting the perception most big people/entities have of their smaller relations. The vaccine rollout is a great and high profile early win for ‘tich’ ’, time will tell if it’s an anomaly or not.

Not meaning that at all rA, just reflecting the perception most big people/entities have of their smaller relations. The vaccine rollout is a great and high profile early win for ‘tich’ ’, time will tell if it’s an anomaly or not.
    Not sure its a "big win" from Brexit, we as a nation do lots of things well on our own and a lot of things well in conjunction with other countries. So far we ahve rolled out the vaccine programme fast, time will tell whether that makes a difference in the long run.

I find this point scoring literally pointless, in the grand scheme of things, thats where misguided patriotism as per the Scots, self determination (given they enjoy a lot already) is fine, but don't overlook things like economy and defence, health etc. which would be weaker on ones own.

It sounds like a simple comparison with Brexit, but in reality it's nothing like, RA.

I personally back their right to choose and wouldn't worry unduly if they did leave. Their contribution to the UK's gdp is around 8% and a decent part of that, including MOD contracts, would be returned to the rest of the UK. Future energy will not come from the North Sea, so that'll be no great loss. The damage to the UK will be limited, economically. It's a well known fact that the UK government subsidise the the Scottish government.

Let's look at it from Scotland's point of view, in comparison to Brexit, they want their independence and then to give it back to the EU. They want to keep the pound, but won't be able to, especially if they join the EU. Then joining the EU, is no forgone conclusion, will Spain allow it, with their own problems with Catalonia? Scotland doesn't fulfil existing economic conditions to join either, how long will the application process last, how is Scotland run in the meantime? They will have no representatives or embassies throughout the world.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Not sure its a "big win" from Brexit, we as a nation do lots of things well on our own and a lot of things well in conjunction with other countries. So far we ahve rolled out the vaccine programme fast, time will tell whether that makes a difference in the long run.

I find this point scoring literally pointless, in the grand scheme of things, thats where misguided patriotism as per the Scots, self determination (given they enjoy a lot already) is fine, but don't overlook things like economy and defence, health etc. which would be weaker on ones own.
    Forget the B word, it appears to be a big win for a smaller, more adept entity (who might have had some lucky guesses on vaccines but hey ho!) and I'm more impressed with the absolute numbers than any comparisons, half a million jabs in a single day deserves the highest praise as does what appears to be a mainly 'we're all in it together' attitude - apart from (it is rumoured) NHS senior managers in Notts who suddenly decided they were front line and got themselves a dose

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    It sounds like a simple comparison with Brexit, but in reality it's nothing like, RA.

I personally back their right to choose and wouldn't worry unduly if they did leave. Their contribution to the UK's gdp is around 8% and a decent part of that, including MOD contracts, would be returned to the rest of the UK. Future energy will not come from the North Sea, so that'll be no great loss. The damage to the UK will be limited, economically. It's a well known fact that the UK government subsidise the the Scottish government.

Let's look at it from Scotland's point of view, in comparison to Brexit, they want their independence and then to give it back to the EU. They want to keep the pound, but won't be able to, especially if they join the EU. Then joining the EU, is no forgone conclusion, will Spain allow it, with their own problems with Catalonia? Scotland doesn't fulfil existing economic conditions to join either, how long will the application process last, how is Scotland run in the meantime? They will have no representatives or embassies throughout the world.
    ....and that's the (start of) the logical conundrum, not the romantic one which will always be won for the seperatists - I actually wish all English folk were as patriotic as the Scots

....and that's the (start of) the logical conundrum, not the romantic one which will always be won for the seperatists - I actually wish all English folk were as patriotic as the Scots
    We never will be...our history includes too much villainy and skullduggery and too little of the underdog.

It was actually you who made the comparison between us and the Scots and us and the EU with your, see how you like independence ‘titch’, comment.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post

On the contrary, this just shows what government can do to support its people, without the constraints of the bureaucratic sloth of the EU. We are now in a position to act quickly and favourably for what is best for the UK.

I was wondering how your German friends were doing distributing the extra 30 million doses vaccine, that you assured us they'd bought in PARALLEL with the EU vaccination programme, Swale?

Just like so many of your facts, absolute codswallop.

Page 92 of 299 FirstFirst ... 42829091929394102142192 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)