+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 79 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

Where you are right is that it seems the Eu backed the wrong horse regarding the astra zenica vaccine which they didn't order, putting all their strategy on the oxford one plus a few others that haven't been approved yet. This seems to be why they haven't got many supplies yet.

I see Cyprus is trying to do a side del with Israel, whereas germany clearly saw which way the wind was blowing last autumn!

So the Uk backed the right vaccine and got it ordered early and approved earlier, which is a plus point.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Where you are right is that it seems the Eu backed the wrong horse regarding the astra zenica vaccine which they didn't order, putting all their strategy on the oxford one plus a few others that haven't been approved yet. This seems to be why they haven't got many supplies yet.

I see Cyprus is trying to do a side del with Israel, whereas germany clearly saw which way the wind was blowing last autumn!

So the Uk backed the right vaccine and got it ordered early and approved earlier, which is a plus point.
    I thought the Oxford vaccine was the Astra Zeneca one?

I'm not disagreeing with you that programme in EU countries hasn't got off to as good a start as it has in the UK, its clear it hasn't. However one does have to bear in mind that the UK is achieving its figures by deciding to give one dose instead of the two recommended by the vaccine manufacturers and scientists.

Whether thats a good idea or not I don't know, if it seems if more people get some immunity, that will slow the spread and deaths down so fine, but that approach hasn't been adopted by the EU.

I don't understand your point here, because currently none of the EU countries have given second doses, they only started 3 weeks ago and they're just getting to the point of the second dose.

Interestingly, the Italians have given out more than the German's, I would have expected the Germans to be the most efficient country, including the UK, sadly.

Worryingly, both a survey in the Guardian and actual statistics from our local area health authority in Birmingham, have revealed an acceptance level of less than 50% from the BAME community to take the vaccine. These figures are consistant with the compliance of covid rules throughout the pandemic. It doesn't make sense, as these are the very people who are in more danger.

Why on earth hasn't there been a Panorama type programme investigating this?

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I thought the Oxford vaccine was the Astra Zeneca one?
    It is...I think Swale meant ‘Pfizer’ rather than ‘Oxford’.

Surely it can't be, Swale's, "facts" are inviolate

Ram is right about the second dose thing, its currently an irrelevance performance-wise and another attempt by Swale to burnish up the EU

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Ram is right about the second dose thing, its currently an irrelevance performance-wise and another attempt by Swale to burnish up the EU
    Actually, it's not quite an irrelevance, because the headline figure for the UK vaccinations is quite often that for the number of people who have been vaccinated. When you add the 500k who have had their second dose, the UK figures are even higher. It's also surprising when the government have a target of the number of people getting vaccinated, that they're are continuing to 'waste' vaccinations on second doses, which don't contribute to their target.

Is this a case for making vaccination mandatory, or should those that refuse be denied NHS treatment if they succomb to COVID after refusal?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...refuse-4898861

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Is this a case for making vaccination mandatory, or should those that refuse be denied NHS treatment if they succomb to COVID after refusal?

https://www.nottinghampost.com/news/...refuse-4898861
    It’s a tricky one (no pun intended) - how do you draw the line between those who give reasoned arguments (MA has done so here), total pricks, and the misguided (I’ve noticed media are leaning heavily on ‘south Asian’ (they mean Muslim) reluctance due to rumours of the vaccine containing alcohol and pork extracts, I believe Hindus may be reluctant on the basis of gelatin (false)). Who’s to say which If these factions deserves treatment any more than the other, or any less than vaccine adopters? After all, NHS treat smokers for smoking related illness...

Much as the idea of letting non vaxers go untreated appeals, as Andy says smokers plus alcoholics, the obese, drug takers, people in pub fights, dangerous drivers in accidents etc etc all get treated. The NHS is non discriminatory, so those who chose not to vaccinate are in the same position.

However those who have declined the vax might reasonably be asked why when they turn up at hospital with covid and might be deprioritised in favour of those still in the queue for vax. But it's more admin that the NHS doesn't need.

Page 79 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2969777879808189129179 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)