+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 38 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T. The Government's handling of Covid

[QUOTE=Andy_Faber;39612952]The 'Heat Map' shown by HMG yesterday certainly seems to indicate that there isn't a a significant increase in ****/early 20 age groups and that there IS an increase in Northern territories, driven by older generations. The age ranges are too wide to totally isolate school age and uni age folk unfortunately

https://assets.publishing.service.go...tober_2020.pdf[/QUOT

Not if you live in Manchester 17-21 age group are six times higher than other age groups . According to David Regan Managing director of Public Health the 17-21 are at 2,935 per 100,000 Police are saying they had to break up a Covid party here you had to show your positive certificate to gain entry That the future generation we have to look forward to and they are supposed to be educated

I'm not saying they arent highest, they are, but they aren't increasing (as quickly)

I'm sure there are all sorts of parallel trends combining here and it's simplistic to blame any one group. For sure the "student group" think they are largely unaffected by a "minor inconvenience illness" and with the arrogance of millenials or Gen X or whatever they are, think just of themselves. Equally the older generation may again be high spreaders as they still don't get it. Who knows, but there sure as hell isn't a single cause.

To me the worst group are the middle aged relatively uneducated males, who tend to wear shorts in winter, drive vans and think masks are for wusses.

I return to tales of my favourite local corner shop, where one of the above group was buying some fags this afternoon. No mask and telling anyone and everyone who would listen (and those who wouldn't) that it was "****ing stupid" and he wasn't going to observe "****ing lockdown" . He was "going to ****ing work and *******s to the law".

Clearly not a student, not a northerner and probably has no idea what a school is. In my area there are increasing numbers of such people who probably are prime spreaders, although sadly not prime victims. Its peculiar to still see such ignorance and selfishness 9 months into the pandemic. You can't fix stupid.

My personal observations on non mask wearing shows that the persons fall into 3 categories down here in Brum.

Firstly, you have the student age group which is born out by high figures in the student land areas of Brum. The fact that many have good qualifications shows that ignorance is not a factor, just a couldn't give a toss about others.

Secondly, you have the Bame group, who for what ever reason, generally refuse to wear masks, even though they are more susceptible to the virus, again this is backed up with high cases in immigrant areas.

Thirdly, you have the lower educated white middle aged people, who are generally the missing link between us and the apes, again figures show areas of cheaper housing, where these neanderthals live, have high figures.

Generally speaking, white people of at least average intelligence over the age of 25 and all age groups of orientals seem to adhere to mask wearing and therefore you would think, other measures also.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram59 View Post
    My personal observations on non mask wearing shows that the persons fall into 3 categories down here in Brum.

Firstly, you have the student age group which is born out by high figures in the student land areas of Brum. The fact that many have good qualifications shows that ignorance is not a factor, just a couldn't give a toss about others.

Secondly, you have the Bame group, who for what ever reason, generally refuse to wear masks, even though they are more susceptible to the virus, again this is backed up with high cases in immigrant areas.

Thirdly, you have the lower educated white middle aged people, who are generally the missing link between us and the apes, again figures show areas of cheaper housing, where these neanderthals live, have high figures.

Generally speaking, white people of at least average intelligence over the age of 25 and all age groups of orientals seem to adhere to mask wearing and therefore you would think, other measures also.
    Good summary Ram, that would be my observation based on a number of towns I've been out too, I'd extend it to Eastern European groups , I offered an anecdote on this way back and got Swaled for it. Back in Spain I would also add 'entitled expats', total in-denial prats, the type of folk that persuaded Mrs F and I to sell up.

On the BAME theme, there are ever growimg numbers of reports (i would add NOT on mainstream media but anecdotal) that almost all the ICU beds currently occupied by CV-19 patients in the Netherlands are BAME. They are als a group that appear to be less responsive to rules on this.

Insh Allah?

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Good summary Ram, that would be my observation based on a number of towns I've been out too, I'd extend it to Eastern European groups , I offered an anecdote on this way back and got Swaled for it. Back in Spain I would also add 'entitled expats', total in-denial prats, the type of folk that persuaded Mrs F and I to sell up.
    Having returned from Spain not so long ago I have to say the difference in attitude to masks between there and England (Derbyshire anyway) was very marked.
    We hear that the situation in Spain is at least as bad as here...and in the more densely populated areas it undeniably is...but where we were
    the nearest town (pop. 18,500) had had just seven cases since last February and yet mask compliance was somewhere in the region of an estimated 95% in the streets and 100% in shops.
    There was a big playground in the nearest village to where we were staying where children and parents were all ‘masked up’ and when we were out at an outdoor restaurant in the evening children continued to play out, on bikes etc, but again virtually all wore masks. Interestingly, we passed close to one secondary school where every pupil and every member of staff appeared to be 100% mask compliant.
    Eventually ‘released’ from self isolation (nearly there mista!) I went out to my nearest Derbyshire town...100% mask compliance in shops but about 20% elsewhere and then you see the scenes in Nottingham the other night (which are likely to be replicated all over the country later this week) and wonder why.

I think there is something inherently British in refusing to do something you have been asked (required) to do. perhaps an "I know better than the experts" stance. I can echo the mask compliance point from my small visit to Greece, when compliance was fairley total bac when we were looking at much much smaller incidences in 100,000.

As to the BAME point, again I feel its too simplistic to simply lump all ethnicities together. From my experience compliance amonget the south asian community is good, but amongst the afro caribbean group it is not. This may be a localised experience, but on my fleeting visits to London in the past couple of months the impression has been reinfirced. At the start of lockdown I would not necessarily have said this, but the south asian community seems to have understood the message across the past 9 months, whilst the same cannot be said of afro caribbean.

But, back to my point upthread and Ram59's parallell observation in Birmingham, the biggest offenders are "white van men" - whether through ignorance, arrogance, selfishness or simple bloody mindedness, I know not.

Quote Originally Posted by ramAnag View Post
    Having returned from Spain not so long ago I have to say the difference in attitude to masks between there and England (Derbyshire anyway) was very marked.
    We hear that the situation in Spain is at least as bad as here...and in the more densely populated areas it undeniably is...but where we were
    the nearest town (pop. 18,500) had had just seven cases since last February and yet mask compliance was somewhere in the region of an estimated 95% in the streets and 100% in shops.
    There was a big playground in the nearest village to where we were staying where children and parents were all ‘masked up’ and when we were out at an outdoor restaurant in the evening children continued to play out, on bikes etc, but again virtually all wore masks. Interestingly, we passed close to one secondary school where every pupil and every member of staff appeared to be 100% mask compliant.
    Eventually ‘released’ from self isolation (nearly there mista!) I went out to my nearest Derbyshire town...100% mask compliance in shops but about 20% elsewhere and then you see the scenes in Nottingham the other night (which are likely to be replicated all over the country later this week) and wonder why.
    RA midnight tonight , I have to echo what you say having just had 15days in Fuerturventura mask wearing was 100% everywhere there was Covid security staff about all the time local police This is from an island that since Covid started has only had 3deaths all over eighty . It was a temperature check before entering any restaurant I hired a car and went all over the island and it was the same everywhere they took nothing to chance. On taking the car back they started sanitizing it before I had left the premises . That obviously have to do things on a lot smaller scale than we do talking to people they said ,ever since March shop assistants have had to wear masks We went six weeks where it was compulsory for customers but not for staff ,that was crazy to me

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    I think there is something inherently British in refusing to do something you have been asked (required) to do. perhaps an "I know better than the experts" stance. I can echo the mask compliance point from my small visit to Greece, when compliance was fairley total bac when we were looking at much much smaller incidences in 100,000.

As to the BAME point, again I feel its too simplistic to simply lump all ethnicities together. From my experience compliance amonget the south asian community is good, but amongst the afro caribbean group it is not. This may be a localised experience, but on my fleeting visits to London in the past couple of months the impression has been reinfirced. At the start of lockdown I would not necessarily have said this, but the south asian community seems to have understood the message across the past 9 months, whilst the same cannot be said of afro caribbean.

But, back to my point upthread and Ram59's parallell observation in Birmingham, the biggest offenders are "white van men" - whether through ignorance, arrogance, selfishness or simple bloody mindedness, I know not.
    GP...this might surprise you but, although I continue to think that Johnson is a bumbling buffoon and arguably the worst PM of all time, I actually felt quite sorry for him this morning...and I never thought that would happen.
    What the Tory party are playing at at present I have no idea, but arguing against the proposed lockdown on the basis that it impinges on civil liberties seems absurd to me. I’d expect such nonsense from the likes of Esther McVey but Graham Brady should surely know better.
    Of course lockdowns impinge on civil liberties...totally inevitable but...equally necessary.

P.S. Glad they kept Prince William having Covid a secret so as not to ‘alarm the nation’. I’d have lost sleep over that one.

P.P.S. See Farage wants to ‘rebrand’ the Brexit Party as ‘Anti-Lockdown Reform UK’. If anyone needed confirmation that he is nothing but an opportunist tw@t...there you have it.
    Last edited by ramAnag; 02-11-2020 at 01:31 PM.

Page 38 of 299 FirstFirst ... 2836373839404888138 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)