+ Visit West Bromwich Albion FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rugby and Taking the Knee.

Rugby and Taking the Knee.

At last nights match all 15 Sale players happy to run on to the pitch wearing 'Rugby Against Racism' T Shirts but when it came to taking the knee only 4 did so. If more than 2/3 of a rugby team choose not to do so I would expect there to be a similar number of footballers with similar views. So why do NONE do so?

For the record I'd be happy to wear the T Shirt but not take the knee.

To be honest I don't really see the need for BLM/Kick it Out t-shirts. Whilst I appreciate they raise the profile of anti racism campaigns within the game, if a supporter or player has racist tendancies they won't feel any different for the sake of a t-shirt. Tokenistic symbolism in my honest opinion. If they want to change views they need to up their game and show they mean business.

If a supporter can get a life time ban for an embarrassing impersonation of a chimpanzee when in the stands, or in certain instances get the sack from their private employment, then players who make racist remarks should have their contracts terminated for gross misconduct and receive life time bans from the professional game. Be that white on black or black on white. As far as I'm concerned that stands equally for players who are found to have falsley accused others of racism.

Gross misconduct is gross misconduct and professional standards are professional standards. It's that simple. As for 'taking the knee', give me strength. Racism is a wider societal issue which needs to be addressed. None racist me expressing empathy with other races by kneeling down won't cure the thought processes of others though. Only education and time have any chance of achieving that. Again, tokenistic symbolism in an attempt to be seen be doing something whilst not actually doing anything material to address the real issue.

Quote Originally Posted by Albionic68 View Post
    To be honest I don't really see the need for BLM/Kick it Out t-shirts. Whilst I appreciate they raise the profile of anti racism campaigns within the game, if a supporter or player has racist tendancies they won't feel any different for the sake of a t-shirt. Tokenistic symbolism in my honest opinion. If they want to change views they need to up their game and show they mean business.

If a supporter can get a life time ban for an embarrassing impersonation of a chimpanzee when in the stands, or in certain instances get the sack from their private employment, then players who make racist remarks should have their contracts terminated for gross misconduct and receive life time bans from the professional game. Be that white on black or black on white. As far as I'm concerned that stands equally for players who are found to have falsley accused others of racism.

Gross misconduct is gross misconduct and professional standards are professional standards. It's that simple. As for 'taking the knee', give me strength. Racism is a wider societal issue which needs to be addressed. None racist me expressing empathy with other races by kneeling down won't cure the thought processes of others though. Only education and time have any chance of achieving that. Again, tokenistic symbolism in an attempt to be seen be doing something whilst not actually doing anything material to address the real issue.
    An excellent post.

I’m sick of this sort of stuff in truth and a lot of “bandwagon” jumping by nomarks wanting to raise their personal profile.

I had more respect for the Rugby players not taking the knee rather than the ones who did.

If I remember right there’s rules in most sports,including football,about what you are allowed to promote before,during and after a match?

Players have been banned for what they’ve had written on their tee shirt under their strip in the past.

Can you imagine the uproar if the reverse type of statements were being made......”Not all whites are racist” tee shirts would receive much vitriol.

What about the blacks walking around in black military type uniform over recent weeks.......if us whites walked around in white military style uniform we’d be called Klu Klux Klan or white suprematists so why is it okay for blacks to do this?

How long is this kneeling b0ll0cks gonna go on for ffs

Yes, excellent post, ”Like”.

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    If your ball bag's long enough to get caught under your knee when kneeling I recommend trunks beneath your shorts Phil. Here to help as always saggy balls .

If your ball bag's long enough to get caught under your knee when kneeling I recommend trunks beneath your shorts Phil. Here to help as always saggy balls .

Quote Originally Posted by phild View Post
    Until they're sixty something...then,trust me,knees don't bend anymore

Quote Originally Posted by 9goals2hattricks3pen View Post
    At last nights match all 15 Sale players happy to run on to the pitch wearing 'Rugby Against Racism' T Shirts but when it came to taking the knee only 4 did so. If more than 2/3 of a rugby team choose not to do so I would expect there to be a similar number of footballers with similar views. So why do NONE do so?

For the record I'd be happy to wear the T Shirt but not take the knee.
    I am not 100% on this, but my understanding of the knee in the US is while the national anthem is playing, so actually I can see the reason for that as it is in a direct response to the allegiance to a country who is systematically not providing the rights to individuals due to their race so I get that

No-one at footie or rugby league games as far I know is being asked to stand for a national anthem

The kneeling during the US national anthem is a peaceful protest in a democracy where freedom of expression is allowed, it got the attention of the president and no-one should ever be compelled to do the bidding of the masses just because they happen to have a difference of opinion. People after all fought and died to protect these freedoms; over here we currently have people being labelled racist or gammon if they so much as dare to express a thought that challenges wokeness narratives.

This in turn creates a culture of fear of speaking out which is exactly the intent of groups such as Antifa and BLM, they are exactly what they claim to be protesting against. Twitter is an absolute vipers nest full of them, I feel there is a simmering resentment that will one day boil over and the authorities lack the numbers to deal with it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)