+ Visit Notts. County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Memory Lane - Chelsea vs. Notts '81

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Ah, I liked the idea of the Peaky Blinders bookies doing him in for not throwing the match or something.

I was just looking at that season on your website and it was quite an interesting one. A good start losing only one of the first 11 league games and at one point holding 2nd place. Losing 7-1 away at Bolton and then drawing with them at home just one week later. Won, drew and lost an equal amount of games, 14, which gave 42 points which was of course the number of matches played!
    That was quite a story on the wiki page, especially regarding his assailant who managed to dodge the death penalty due to new reforms and then end up in Broadmoor and lived until he was 87. Great find UTM.

Quote Originally Posted by ncfcog View Post
    Ah, I liked the idea of the Peaky Blinders bookies doing him in for not throwing the match or something.

I was just looking at that season on your website and it was quite an interesting one.
    Ironically Tommy Ball's team Aston Villa reached the FA Cup final later that same season (the 2nd to be held at Wembley) and lost to his former club Newcastle United.

I'm just in the process of adding all of the final placings for all clubs in the pyramid to the site. Was doing 1923/24 when I noticed the murder reference. Hadn't taken much notice of divisions Notts didn't play in before now but there's some odd names in the FL around that time, Merthyr Town, Ashington, Nelson, Wigan Borough and Aberdare Athletic (none of which we ever got to play against). There was also New Brighton (which once had a tower bigger than Blackpool's) but we did meet them in the FA Cup.

Quote Originally Posted by upthemaggies View Post
    Ironically Tommy Ball's team Aston Villa reached the FA Cup final later that same season (the 2nd to be held at Wembley) and lost to his former club Newcastle United.

I'm just in the process of adding all of the final placings for all clubs in the pyramid to the site. Was doing 1923/24 when I noticed the murder reference. Hadn't taken much notice of divisions Notts didn't play in before now but there's some odd names in the FL around that time, Merthyr Town, Ashington, Nelson, Wigan Borough and Aberdare Athletic (none of which we ever got to play against). There was also New Brighton (which once had a tower bigger than Blackpool's) but we did meet them in the FA Cup.
    Great stuff, keep up the good work!

A bit OT, but I wasn't quite sure how I should title a new thread on a very odd story related to Notts that I stumbled across this morning. There was an Aston Villa defender who, at the age of 23, got shot dead by his landlord. It happened in November 1923 and he remains the only active FL player to have ever been murdered. I thought I'd check if he'd played against us that season (both clubs were in the top flight at the time) and it turns out his last game was at Meadow Lane the day before he was killed!
    Great find utm. I love these sort of anecdotes, especially Notts related.

I was there with my Forest supporting dad, haha!

Quote Originally Posted by SwalePie View Post
    Tweet of video including Christie and Harkouk's goals to take us back into the top flight. Enjoy! Bad times for football in general but what a great Notts day that was!

https://twitter.com/1968Tv/status/1297959677175758849?s=20
    Good to watch thanks for the link

I'm just in the process of adding all of the final placings for all clubs in the pyramid to the site. Was doing 1923/24 when I noticed the murder reference. Hadn't taken much notice of divisions Notts didn't play in before now but there's some odd names in the FL around that time, Merthyr Town, Ashington, Nelson, Wigan Borough and Aberdare Athletic (none of which we ever got to play against). There was also New Brighton (which once had a tower bigger than Blackpool's) but we did meet them in tuhe FA Cup.
    Could you post a link to your site please?

Quote Originally Posted by Riverleeno View Post
    Could you post a link to your site please?
    http://tvset.byethost12.com/utm/maggies00.html

Cheers! coyp

Excellent vintage footage and good to see Killer dominate Garry 'Bogbrush' Birtles,whom I remember from his Long Eaton United days when he was an apprentice at Walter Walls Carpeting.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast