+ Visit Blackburn Rovers FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: The curious case of derek Williams

The curious case of derek Williams

He is wanted by Swansea.
    Now I am not saying he is useless far from it but in my opinion he is average,nothing more nothing less but obviously they see a place for him.
    Hopefully a fee involved,probably a small one though.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    He is wanted by Swansea.
    Now I am not saying he is useless far from it but in my opinion he is average,nothing more nothing less but obviously they see a place for him.
    Hopefully a fee involved,probably a small one though.
    This is the 3rd or 4th positive coming out of Ewood in the last week.
    We won't be bothering with Downing. We appear to have found a real gem in Dolan.
    Brereton's starting to look like an actual footballer.
    We have signed a decent keeper (we hope!)
    And best of all, this injury prone liability is getting some attention. We are so close to getting in a proper centre half, and that is now key. Graham has gone, as has Smallwood, Mulgrew, Williams both need to go. Bennett too, but that's wishful thinking.
    If we get a fee and get him off the wages (and Mulgrew) then we can afford to get in someone who can contribute. He is not a CH and never has been. A big reason why defensively we have never improved. He has not got the legs for LB and we have JRC who will likely take the shirt off Bell, who can be back-up. We desperately need a CH.

Question is champs is lindsay that man?
    We have a good record of resurrecting the lost,and he could be a good partner for lenihan.
    One stumbling block and that is valuation I personally feel that 2 million is alot of money for a player no longer wanted.
    800k to a million is more like it.

Quote Originally Posted by robinrover View Post
    Question is champs is lindsay that man?
    We have a good record of resurrecting the lost,and he could be a good partner for lenihan.
    One stumbling block and that is valuation I personally feel that 2 million is alot of money for a player no longer wanted.
    800k to a million is more like it.
    That lad from Stoke will be a red herring. If we do go for him, it will be a loan only. We are really interested in the Senegalese CH from Wigan who will get for much cheaper.

Personally I think they need 2 CH. Which if we get Mulgrew off the wage bill, and Williams and Downing then it frees up money for players we actually need. Especially if we can con Swansea into paying a fee for DW. Then we can go get 2 new CH which we will need. They may even try get Cunningham back on loan. As they do need a LB if Williams leaves.

We need to seriously bolster a weak defence,so I really hope that's the case.
    Strengthen in that area and I am confident that we can give a serious go at the play offs but until then we will be nothing but mediocre.

Depending how much he's on I'd be happy for Williams to stay.
    He just needs a good, progressive young manager

I agree with Seventwo that Williams is a reasonable cover-player.
    I think his positional sense and reading of the game compensates for his lack of pace.
    I don't really want to see Rankin-Costello at left-back.
    He is in danger of being seen as a "utility player" and Bennett's form went downhill as soon as that happened to him.
    R-C has always said wide-left midfield is his strongest position, but that is actually quite tricky in our line-up because we have so many players to fit in.
    I think this is the big moment for Bell. To be honest, he's had a lot of chances and I'd be tempted to replace him, but the centre-back position is a much higher priority.
    Can we really afford two keepers, a centre-half, and a left-back, all of decent quality?
    I'm a bit sceptical myself.

We'll always be dodgy at the back with TM as manager. His history states as much, even in his promotion campaigns.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)