+ Visit Aberdeen FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Oh what a night!

Oh what a night!

38 years ago yesterday I was at Pittodrie Stadium in Aberdeen to see Aberdeen beat Bayern Munich 3-2 (after a 0-0 draw in Germany two weeks before) in the quarter final of the Cup Winners Cup. 2-1 down with 15 minutes to go and needing two goals to go through. What an atmosphere , what a game, what a performance. So glad I was there to see it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp-wB9_ZmHY

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post
    38 years ago yesterday I was at Pittodrie Stadium in Aberdeen to see Aberdeen beat Bayern Munich 3-2 (after a 0-0 draw in Germany two weeks before) in the quarter final of the Cup Winners Cup. 2-1 down with 15 minutes to go and needing two goals to go through. What an atmosphere , what a game, what a performance. So glad I was there to see it.

Aye but come on , be honest , it wasn’t as good as 43,000 Dandies watching Aberdeen draw with Inverness 0-0

Quote Originally Posted by its_a_goal View Post

Aye, me as well iag, probably too young to appreciate just how special it was at the time but what a game! The atmosphere in that two minutes when we scored the 2nd and 3rd were something else.

A great night.

I watched it recently and although no one has ever thought of that night as a nasty encounter, with today’s namby pamby rules it would have ended as seven a side.

That free kick. Sign of the confidence to even attempt a set piece like that in a game like that but to pull it off is something else. Never get tired of watching it.

38 years.....where in the fu ck has my life gone?
    What a night.........

Quote Originally Posted by InversneckieDob View Post
    38 years.....where in the fu ck has my life gone?
    What a night.........
    Aye. The bus trip to an baxk from Munich for the first leg was something else too !!

Dick Donald came down to Pittodrie to wave us off inna !!!

Quote Originally Posted by mondo_notion View Post
    That free kick. Sign of the confidence to even attempt a set piece like that in a game like that but to pull it off is something else. Never get tired of watching it.
    Mondo, I remember hearing McLeish talk of that free kick, saying they had tried it a million times in training and it never ever worked and that the players kept trying to convince Fergie to forget it. Ferguson stuck to his guns and kept arguing that it would work. And boy did it work, just when we needed it!

I guess one of the benefits of being an old fart, is that we can at least remember nights like these, the trophies won, the competitive nature of the league. As opposed to now, where the league is effectively two (minky) thoroughbreds racing against a bunch of knackered old donkeys.

Quote Originally Posted by neilthedon View Post
    Aye. The bus trip to an baxk from Munich for the first leg was something else too !!

Dick Donald came down to Pittodrie to wave us off inna !!!
    Oor bus left fae the beach at 7pm on the Monday night. Parks O' Hamilton. Only got as far as Hamilton and we had to change the bus. Bog was flooded in no time. 80's p0rn on the bus tv was summin else .

Old five pence pieces the same size as a Deutsch Mark worked a treat in vending machines .
    Last edited by phuxachemin; 18-03-2021 at 03:43 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast