+ Visit Newcastle United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results

Thread: Favourite Newcastle player pre-1970s

Favourite Newcastle player pre-1970s

No Shearer or Macdonalds.

Players most of us didn't see play, but that we still admire.

Mine would have to be between Hughie G (obviously), Jackie Milburn and Bob Moncur.

oooh...good idea for a thread Hughie.

Wyn 'the Leap' Davies and John McNamee are two that spring to mind immediately. Mate of mine who saw them play would go all misty-eyed when he talked about them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zippity View Post
    oooh...good idea for a thread Hughie.

Wyn 'the Leap' Davies and John McNamee are two that spring to mind immediately. Mate of mine who saw them play would go all misty-eyed when he talked about them.

I read about Wyn Davies awhile back, sounded like a great player!

Ron McGarry have goals will travel
    Wyn Davies
    Pop Robson
    David Craig
    Frank Clark
    Bob Moncur
    John McNamee
    Dave Hollins
    Stan Anderson

Add to the list
    Jim Iley
    Alan Suddick
    & the great Willie Penman !!

Quote Originally Posted by HughieG View Post

I read about Wyn Davies awhile back, sounded like a great player!
    Wyn was fantastic - and a lovely bloke now too.
    you all missed Ron Mcgarry and Jim Scott and Jackie Sinclair - off that list.

i would also have loved to see Hughie gallagher ( as someone else mentioned) and the robledo brothers !

ronnie simpson was a great goalie too as was iam mcfaul

Len White,started as a right winger and took the corner when Milburn scored in the first minute of the 55 Cup Final.

White then got the 9 shirt when Milburn joined Linfield.He could strike a ball almost as hard as Milburn but was better on the ball.

The toons 3rd highest ever goal scorer and once scored all five goals for the Football League in a win against the Irish but still never got an England cap.
    He would have got even more goals but for an over the ball tackle by Dave Mackay which eventually put him out of the game.

The best goal I seen him score was in an FA Cup game against the League Champions Wolves.
    He got the ball near the left corner flag at the Gallowgate end and hit a screamer which got stuck in the stancion on the right of the goal.

Mine would have to be between Hughie G (obviously), Jackie Milburn and Bob Moncur.

Sticking with players I've seen in action (and this from a Sunderland fan ) I'd have to go for Wyn Davies. He had the ball control of Stephen Hawking..... but in the air!! I watched him play against us at Roker and he was up against Charlie Hurley, no mean slouch himself! Davies won every ball in the air.... it got to the stage that Hurley grabbed around the waist as a high ball came over....and " the mighty Wyn" still jumped about 3 feet in the air with Hurley hanging on to him!!

I'll also go for Bob Moncur when he played for us!! Purely because of an incident at Ayresome Park. Gary Rowell had just started to come through as a young 'un....came on as sub and that piece of horse ****e Souness went straight in studs up on Rowell's knee and nearly snapped his leg in two. Horrible tackle. Moncur came storming over signalling evil intent !! and Souness literally ran off the pitch into the tunnel until the referee calmed Moncur down. Souness turned into a back four player for the rest of the match and avoided Moncur like the plague!

I've seen the last two dozens of times and had chats with Hughie Gallacher many times.

My favourites, Jackie Milburn, Bobby Mitchell and Wyn Davies.

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)