+ Visit Dundee United FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No final product is letting us down

No final product is letting us down

As it stands we're not a bad team but we do have square pegs and round holes, having a goalscorer on the pitch would allow MM to reshuffle the players back into their best preferred position.
    I watched the game and saw a lot of good but we were not 'cute' or streetwise.
    Utd 67.3% possession 512 passes 19 shots-1 on target, 10 corners
    Killie 32.7% possession 257 passes 15 shots-9 on target, 2 corners.
    We set up well but the 'no final product' has been on repeat play for all 6 games so far.

Defensively we played fantastic as a unit against Celtic, complete opposite against Killie. Whilst inconsistent performances are to be expected from youngsters, playing too many in key positions in successive games shouldn't be the norm.
    The 3rd and 4th goals were a joke, 3rd-5 players taken out by one pass when pushing onto their right back, 4th- 8 of our players all in killie box when we're on attack no composure and bang a breakaway-Robson should have taken the boy out when in killie half btw, Butcher would have.
    Robson and Reynolds caught out of position for 1st that can happen but not on a regular basis. Neilson powder puff challenge led to 2nd again I say a Butcher or a Connolly would have done more there.
    I like what MM is doing and he sets up well and changes it up during the game but he has yet to play imo his preferred best team in their best positions in his formation and put simply, a goalscorer on the pitch may be all he needs.

Personally I would have Robson and Appere on the left, and either Powers or Butcher beside Connolly with the other in midfield.
    Ideally Smith and Bolton on the right could work, but fine with Edwards/Neilson behind Bolton in meantime.
    I would chance Clark in a creative midfield role with Harkes's energy that could work well but would like to see Glass with Harkes or Clark, we need a striker {ideally Shanks back) with a Cifti or Safranko type supporting.

Pawlett, McMullan, Reynolds benched, with Neilson/Chalmers getting intruduced more to get up to speed.
    It looks like MM wants to press high up park so plenty flexibility in that line up to change during game 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2, 3-2-3-2. With even the option to pull the Cufti or Safrenko type back to protect midfield if needed.

Recruitment wise would like to see back up central defenders, certainly a creative midfielder would be great, but absolute no question no 1 prioritiy is a goalscorer on the pitch and ideally another striker for if and when Shanks is injured or moves on.
    This would allow MM to play his preferred high pressing formation(s}.

I think that team would get the points we need now whilst laying the nucleus for a future top 6 challenge.

It's not all bad but watching an almost but not quite us getting a bit frustrating tbh

Especially in the first 20-25 mins of the second half we were camped in and around the Killie box with tons of possession but there seemed to be very little movement in the 18 yard box to create that little bit of space. So consequently it was very congested and the Killie defenders picked up our attackers pretty straightforwardly. Shankland would undoubtedly have made a difference yesterday but if your man Norwood from Ipswich is Micky’s main target, then we need to start to get a shift on and get him in. Putting yesterday’s defensive phuck ups to one side, we’ve been defensively solid enough to date considering the teams we’ve played, but chance creation and finishing is our main Achilles heel so far I would suggest.

19 shots. 1 on target.

Deary me.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    As it stands we're not a bad team but we do have square pegs and round holes, having a goalscorer on the pitch would allow MM to reshuffle the players back into their best preferred position.
    I watched the game and saw a lot of good but we were not 'cute' or streetwise.
    Utd 67.3% possession 512 passes 19 shots-1 on target, 10 corners
    Killie 32.7% possession 257 passes 15 shots-9 on target, 2 corners.
    We set up well but the 'no final product' has been on repeat play for all 6 games so far.

Defensively we played fantastic as a unit against Celtic, complete opposite against Killie. Whilst inconsistent performances are to be expected from youngsters, playing too many in key positions in successive games shouldn't be the norm.
    The 3rd and 4th goals were a joke, 3rd-5 players taken out by one pass when pushing onto their right back, 4th- 8 of our players all in killie box when we're on attack no composure and bang a breakaway-Robson should have taken the boy out when in killie half btw, Butcher would have.
    Robson and Reynolds caught out of position for 1st that can happen but not on a regular basis. Neilson powder puff challenge led to 2nd again I say a Butcher or a Connolly would have done more there.
    I like what MM is doing and he sets up well and changes it up during the game but he has yet to play imo his preferred best team in their best positions in his formation and put simply, a goalscorer on the pitch may be all he needs.

Personally I would have Robson and Appere on the left, and either Powers or Butcher beside Connolly with the other in midfield.
    Ideally Smith and Bolton on the right could work, but fine with Edwards/Neilson behind Bolton in meantime.
    I would chance Clark in a creative midfield role with Harkes's energy that could work well but would like to see Glass with Harkes or Clark, we need a striker {ideally Shanks back) with a Cifti or Safranko type supporting.

Pawlett, McMullan, Reynolds benched, with Neilson/Chalmers getting intruduced more to get up to speed.
    It looks like MM wants to press high up park so plenty flexibility in that line up to change during game 4-4-2, 4-1-3-2, 3-2-3-2. With even the option to pull the Cufti or Safrenko type back to protect midfield if needed.

Recruitment wise would like to see back up central defenders, certainly a creative midfielder would be great, but absolute no question no 1 prioritiy is a goalscorer on the pitch and ideally another striker for if and when Shanks is injured or moves on.
    This would allow MM to play his preferred high pressing formation(s}.

I think that team would get the points we need now whilst laying the nucleus for a future top 6 challenge.

It's not all bad but watching an almost but not quite us getting a bit frustrating tbh
    Not having a dig, but you mention square pegs in round holes, then go on to suggest Butcher or Powers at centre half, Edwards at right back and Clark in midfield. Can we not just get decent players to play in their correct positions? It cannae be that hard.

I would like to see Freeman get a wee shot at RB if Smith still out for a while. Natural RB over Neilson who isn't.
    Give Edwards a shot when fit ideally alongside Reynolds.
    Give Glass or Cammy smith a shot as the creative player.
    Appere either up top with someone or on left wing.

Everyone agreed including our outgoing manager at the end of last season agreed we really needed to strengthen for The Premiership. We had a championship squad. There are unforseen factors that disrupted the process during the summer but we can debate all we like about what players should played in what positions but the bottom line in we need to strengthen. Micky has done wonders so far in making us competitive and without the player who basically got us up last season. The sooner we can get new players in who will add quality to the squad the better.

Quote Originally Posted by tHeArAb View Post
    Not having a dig, but you mention square pegs in round holes, then go on to suggest Butcher or Powers at centre half, Edwards at right back and Clark in midfield. Can we not just get decent players to play in their correct positions? It cannae be that hard.
    It isn't hard no but Butcher was tried in defence and was not a square peg when he played, however apart from being a headless chicken he has done nothing this season in the midfield, like it or not Clark is one of our best creative players currently and is not a main striker, Powers is a big lad with a calmness on the ball that Reynolds doesn't have, in our current set up and playing ball from the back he could well do a great job.

With Clark and Powers having the key strengths in the positions we currently lack them why not, I'm not asking Clark to be a defender or Powers to be a striker or I would see your point

I reckon our lack of threat up front has cost us at least six points so far this season. Two v. St. Johnstone, one v. Hibs and three v. Kilmarnock.

As most have said a playmaker and Creator and striker would help. Terrible result but how we bounce back is a big thing. As shedka said we aim for 10th. Killie had many chances and hit the target we hit the target once. Needs sorted as if we have that threat i actually think we have been ok defence and mid apart from two connolly brain farts.

Quote Originally Posted by A. J View Post
    It isn't hard no but Butcher was tried in defence and was not a square peg when he played, however apart from being a headless chicken he has done nothing this season in the midfield, like it or not Clark is one of our best creative players currently and is not a main striker, Powers is a big lad with a calmness on the ball that Reynolds doesn't have, in our current set up and playing ball from the back he could well do a great job.

With Clark and Powers having the key strengths in the positions we currently lack them why not, I'm not asking Clark to be a defender or Powers to be a striker or I would see your point
    Not for me mate, not in the slightest. Butcher did okay at centre half in The Championship. Different ball game now. Has Powers EVER played centre half? Jesus, the thought of him going up against Premiership strikers is frightening. Clark, if he even starts, should be in a two with Shankland or in a slightly deeper striker role.
    This is reminding me of Neilson & his tombola stuff.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)