+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: O/T Even the Tory Party are Blaming Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Rearrange please

Wall your against banging head a

You never answered my question, why should folks pay for the BBC when they only watch ITV/Sky etc?

Here's 5 reasons, if you want it, aren't bothered by this. You pay for it, like I 'm prepared to do for Sky.
    But you seem to think, blackmail is fine.
    It's been fun watching the same 3 who bang the Tories on every thread, so passionately scream to the BBC's defence. Here in lies the answer.

Here's 5 anyway.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVxA...ChilliJonCarne
    Does anybody actually watch ITV any longer? Apart from the occasional time when they stump up to buy mainstream live sport, and reruns of old episodes of Family Guy on ITV 5 catchup +1,that is. The rest of its programming its unadulterated ****e now Jeremy Kyle has been axed - culminating in the appalling pulp called Downton Abbey.

Without central funding, this is what the BBC would become and,for all its faults, I still believe its better than what it would become with no licence fee. As for making pensioners pay, they are amongst the wealthiest sectors in the economy - if anyone should get it free, then it should be means tested for the needy, not based on the baseless assumption that old = poor

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Parkstone View Post
    Does anybody actually watch ITV any longer? Apart from the occasional time when they stump up to buy mainstream live sport, and reruns of old episodes of Family Guy on ITV 5 catchup +1,that is. The rest of its programming its unadulterated ****e now Jeremy Kyle has been axed - culminating in the appalling pulp called Downton Abbey.

Without central funding, this is what the BBC would become and,for all its faults, I still believe its better than what it would become with no licence fee. As for making pensioners pay, they are amongst the wealthiest sectors in the economy - if anyone should get it free, then it should be means tested for the needy, not based on the baseless assumption that old = poor
    That's exactly what it is Geoff means tested ,you have to be on pension credit or you pay

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Just pointing out to Tricky that private companies have the same problems that the BBC have .But it doesn't suit his ( I hate the BBC because they are nasty to Boris ) agenda
    No argument there, but I expect better of BBC

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    Interesting piece
    Most Watched News Channels In The World
    TRENDrr.net/51797 publish date 28/08/20

1 BBC News
    2 Fox News
    3CNN
    4Sky News
    5NDTV (India)

Don't how I could have been so naive as to believe Tricky when he told me nobody watches the BBC
    My issue is that people DO watch BBC news so I don’t get TTR’s rant on that

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    Our respective traffic on this thread suggests who has a life and who doesn’t. You’re starting to come over like TTR

Mm I know the games you play so won't rise to the bait. Having a self professed "hobby horse" about diversity in the way that you do is rather strange, but its not hard to read between the lines on your posts.

As for my traffic on this Forum, it all depends on where i am and what I'm doing but I must realise that in the Kingdom of the Blind the one eyed man is king and no matter how many actual facts one produces, it won't change a thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Hey you're right Swale, I was a fool to believe him and his chats to others. Looks like things have changed in the last 24 hours.
    The minister told the Telegraph: 'There is a real optimism that the BBC will come up with a palatable alternative to the licence fee themselves.

'Tim Davie is open to the idea of a subscription model.'

If Mr Davie is unable to come up with a viable model, he risks facing a battle when the BBC charter is renewed in 2027.

It is understood that Mr Davie will not address the licence fee row when he makes his first speech in his new role later this week.

But BBC insiders told the Telegraph that Mr Davie is concerned the broadcaster is creating too much left-wing, London-centric content.

Never mind eh?
    Perhaps he's looked at his pay cut from his £664 000 salary and thinks his bonus won't make it up.
    So yes I'm wrong and sorry. I shouldn't have believed his bull****.
    Lets see how he fares with Linekers salary of 1.7 Million, now he wants his social media activities curbed.
    BTW can someone explain to me how Lineker is also paid a fortune by Walkers, whilst contradicting the BBC's conflict of interest policy?
    Strange that?
    But hey ho, not a penny from me.
    As I said, he hasn't said he is open to a subscription model, his words which I quoted verbatim don't say that and thats nothing to do with changes that have happened this week, just down to your interpretation or more likely you reading the interpretation of some right wing media.

You see that is the problem when your interpretation of the world is base on your own prejudices and narrow view of things, you end up looking foolish.

I'd have thought even you would know that what people say, what they mean when they say it, and then how what they say is reported by others can lead one into a situation where one looks a tad foolish!

Quote Originally Posted by AdiSalisbury View Post
    The pay gap isn't like for like roles though, a common misconception, it's basically average pay versus average pay.

So if you invest in 100 BAME apprentices, you widen the gap, as they bring the average pay down for that group, even though it's a positive discrimination. The pay gap is a reflection of representation through to senior levels, rather than equal pay (with a few exceptions).
    You have hit the nail on the head! Pay gaps are a notoriously clumsy tool to measure equality on its own. One needs to take a range of measures, including the composition of the workforce, comparison of similar roles etc etc. in order to get a true picture.

Thats not to say there isn't merit in ensuring that the way an organisation recruits and rewards staff is fair and equitable, just that a simple statistical measurement is not sufficient.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post
    Can they, legally, curb big lugs social media activity? Freedom of speech and all that gubbins.......

How does Lineker's advertising revenue from Walker's contradict the BBC's conflict of interest policy (if they have one)?
    Yes in so far as having a robust social media policy which states clearly that any activity on social media should not have a negative impact on the reputation of the company, or on reputation and the ability of the employee to perform the role in that company.

The point Davie was making was that as a prominent journalist, it is inappropriate for that person to be known for opinionated social media posts about the news, that clearly calls into question that persons impartiality.

I think its entirely reasonable to say you can be a BBC journalist or an opinionated social media commentator, but not both.

Linker and others situation is interesting, it all depends whether they are self employed contractors or direct employees of the BBC. Then that further depends upon whether their employment or other contracts actually refer to their activity outside the BBC.

Quote Originally Posted by swaledale View Post
    Mm I know the games you play so won't rise to the bait. Having a self professed "hobby horse" about diversity in the way that you do is rather strange, but its not hard to read between the lines on your posts.

As for my traffic on this Forum, it all depends on where i am and what I'm doing but I must realise that in the Kingdom of the Blind the one eyed man is king and no matter how many actual facts one produces, it won't change a thing.
    I’m not playing games Swale I consider you an extremist at the opposite end of most discussions to TTR with the occasional lapse into lucidity. I’ll take on the role of a patient teacher who’s held back a slightly slow on the uptake pupil to explain thus: ‘the issue at hand is not about diversity, or a reflection on minority groups themselves, but about the media’s ability and inclination to portray the country we live in a manner that does actually reflect the country’
    Last edited by Andy_Faber; 05-09-2020 at 04:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    My issue is that people DO watch BBC news so I don’t get TTR’s rant on that
    Tricky will try and twist things to suit what he wants to believe . Yes says young people are not interested in the BBC . The facts say that 32% of BBC viewers are under 30. That's not counting the radio audiences With radio One and Two the most listened to stations

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)