+ Visit Derby County FC Mad for Latest News, Transfer Gossip, Fixtures and Match Results
Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Thread: O/T Even the Tory Party are Blaming Johnson!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    yes, great example, but its the (lets not use woke) PC Police that drive enterprises like Footy Mad to *** out such words (not V1TAL obviously, that's just bloody stupid)
    This one of WOKE sums it up perfectly lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOG...nnel=TroyKinne

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_Faber View Post
    I actually admire your general stance having come from the teaching profession, my teacher friends have some absolute horror stories about the 'social awareness' hoops they've had to jump through to basically keep their jobs due to 'people with too much time on their hands'. Am I misrepresenting things there? you have better insight.
    Andy, here's a couple of instances from my 10 years in the profession.

A parent phones in a complaint about a colleague. She was called in by her immediate gaffer. The conversation went like this...... we've had a complaint from the parents of "pupil name". You did/said "whatever it was the parents had said she said/did". What are you going to do to ensure to doesn't happen again?

No, "what is your take on what happened?". No chance to put up any defence. Quite simply, there's been a complaint and, because we now have customers/clients and not parents and children, the customer is King/Queen. End of that school year she left and went to another school. Brilliant teacher. Class Mentor. Ran the support group for dyslexic children. Ran the group to support the gifted kids we had (every year we'd have 3 or 4, 8 and 9 year olds joining the 1st year Gymnasium class (excellence in learning, not the sport...). All their classmates were 12 going into the 1st year, 13 in it.

There was this girl, 14 years old, only child and very unruly. Diagnosed with ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a type of behavior disorder. It is mostly diagnosed in childhood. Children with ODD are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile toward peers, parents, teachers, and other authority figures. They are more troubling to others than they are to themselves.). She actually fit all the criteria, on the surface. All of her teachers treated her with velvet gloves....... they bought it. There was a 22 year old Geography teacher and yours truly who believed we had seen through the charade. We started to treat her the same as we did all other kids. That went down like a lead balloon. She complained to the head of year and we were summoned, boll-ocked and told to be more lenient on her. We did as we were told but decided we would do some investigating. In the course of our investigation we found out that her parents ran a restaurant. When she got home from school she was alone. Did what she wanted, when she wanted. If the parents tried to get her to do something she didn't want to it was tantrums all the way until she got her way. If she wanted new clothes, telephone, tablet... whatever, she got it as it comforted the parents sense of guilt. She was, simply, a spoiled brat. We had worked that out long before we started to look into her behaviour and background. Kids with ODD will continue with their bahaviour, no matter what. This girl had realised the two of us had sussed her out and she stopped her antics with us. She didn't like that and complained. Got her way for a while but we super sleuths ahd found out WHY she was acting up. We took our findings to the Head . Reluctantly he agreed to have a word with the parents. They then called the girl in. Confronted with the truth she broke down. The parents decided right there and then they would hire an assistant manager so that every evening one of them could be home........ The girl finally got the attention she had craved from her parents. Her acting up had been her way to get attention at school. Better negative attention than none at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    This one of WOKE sums it up perfectly lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TwOG...nnel=TroyKinne
    Yes that's what you get from educated millennials

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

A parent phones in a complaint about a colleague. She was called in by her immediate gaffer. The conversation went like this...... we've had a complaint from the parents of "pupil name". You did/said "whatever it was the parents had said she said/did". What are you going to do to ensure to doesn't happen again?

No, "what is your take on what happened?". No chance to put up any defence. Quite simply, there's been a complaint and, because we now have customers/clients and not parents and children, the customer is King/Queen. End of that school year she left and went to another school. Brilliant teacher. Class Mentor. Ran the support group for dyslexic children. Ran the group to support the gifted kids we had (every year we'd have 3 or 4, 8 and 9 year olds joining the 1st year Gymnasium class (excellence in learning, not the sport...). All their classmates were 12 going into the 1st year, 13 in it.

There was this girl, 14 years old, only child and very unruly. Diagnosed with ODD (Oppositional defiant disorder (ODD) is a type of behavior disorder. It is mostly diagnosed in childhood. Children with ODD are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile toward peers, parents, teachers, and other authority figures. They are more troubling to others than they are to themselves.). She actually fit all the criteria, on the surface. All of her teachers treated her with velvet gloves....... they bought it. There was a 22 year old Geography teacher and yours truly who believed we had seen through the charade. We started to treat her the same as we did all other kids. That went down like a lead balloon. She complained to the head of year and we were summoned, boll-ocked and told to be more lenient on her. We did as we were told but decided we would do some investigating. In the course of our investigation we found out that her parents ran a restaurant. When she got home from school she was alone. Did what she wanted, when she wanted. If the parents tried to get her to do something she didn't want to it was tantrums all the way until she got her way. If she wanted new clothes, telephone, tablet... whatever, she got it as it comforted the parents sense of guilt. She was, simply, a spoiled brat. We had worked that out long before we started to look into her behaviour and background. Kids with ODD will continue with their bahaviour, no matter what. This girl had realised the two of us had sussed her out and she stopped her antics with us. She didn't like that and complained. Got her way for a while but we super sleuths ahd found out WHY she was acting up. We took our findings to the Head . Reluctantly he agreed to have a word with the parents. They then called the girl in. Confronted with the truth she broke down. The parents decided right there and then they would hire an assistant manager so that every evening one of them could be home........ The girl finally got the attention she had craved from her parents. Her acting up had been her way to get attention at school. Better negative attention than none at all.
    I think my son must have ODD he has all those characteristics 13thinks he's 30 . Even hates football because he knows I like it

Quote Originally Posted by mistaram View Post
    I think my son must have ODD he has all those characteristics 13thinks he's 30 . Even hates football because he knows I like it
    Just you mista? If he has ODD he'll be cantankerous with everybody, and I do mean, everybody.

Going on my teaching experiences, coaching experiences and fathering 2 lads now aged 26 and 28, they all have periods where they'll be anti authority but very few go the whole hog and are uncooperative, defiant, and hostile towards parents and peers and teachers and.... etc.... and they are like that all the time.

Quote Originally Posted by MadAmster View Post

You're brave to 'go up against the system' in that manner, not even sure you'd have escaped without punishment if you'd achieved that these days

This whole ‘better negative attention than none at all’ thing is truly bewildering, MA, and something I’ve come across many, many times.

As for your two accounts I can’t help feeling that the situations you describe were entirely due to the ethos of the school and I’ll bet diamonds the Head a) had little to do with children b) seldom came out of his/her office c) only real area of expertise was looking after #1.

rA, The head was your typical process and policy man. Actually got on with him quite well. The head of middle school was a different kettle of fish altogether. 20 something career minded chap who moved on at 27 to a headship. On his LinkedIn page he lists empathy as one of his major qualities. In my dealings with him and what I saw of how he "dealt" with others, he didn't even know the word, never mind exude it.

Andy, I have this terrible affliction. It's called honesty. To my mind the girl was a) ruining her own life b) teaching her peers that screaming and shouting gets you what you want c) the situation was having a bad effect on some colleagues d) her parents were blissfully unaware of her antics at school. For the benefit of everybody, especially the girl, action had to be taken. If was teaching today, I don't think I'd do it any differently under the exact same circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by Trickytreesreds View Post
    Yearh of course it was, In 1962 the New York Times published an article of “phrases and words you might hear today in Harlem”, a neighbourhood in the northern section of the New York City where many African-Americans live.

The African-American novelist William Melvin Kelley wrote the earliest known use of the word under its new definition in an article titled, “If you’re woke, you dig it”.

Don't forget those right wing nutters Harry and Megham who champion it, though please forget Harry wearing a swastika at a party. I'm sure he wasn't WOKE enough then
    So your so thick you don't realise that words can be used in a manner designed to get the dog whistle response from simpletons like you? No of course you don't, otherwise you wouldn't post the ****e you do!

I despair really, England seems characterised – not unlike the 1930s – by an impassioned anti-intellectualism that seeks simple answers and negates context and complexity.

Page 15 of 15 FirstFirst ... 5131415

Forum Info

Footymad Forums offer you the chance to interact and discuss all things football with fellow fans from around the world, and share your views on footballing issues from the latest, breaking transfer rumours to the state of the game at international level and everything in between.

Whether your team is battling it out for the Premier League title or struggling for League survival, there's a forum for you!

Gooners, Mackems, Tractor Boys - you're all welcome, please just remember to respect the opinions of others.

Click here for a full list of the hundreds of forums available to you

The forums are free to join, although you must play fair and abide by the rules explained here, otherwise your ability to post may be temporarily or permanently revoked.

So what are you waiting for? Register now and join the debate!

(these forums are not actively moderated, so if you wish to report any comment made by another member please report it.)